WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey malaysian g-shock collectors, identify yourselves and so one day we can meet for a tt session and also show and tell. |> so to get the ball rolling, i'm john and i live in kl. also any other collectors who plan to visit malaysia, maybe you can make some new friends here eh?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi John,

This is Nick here from KL, Malaysia. Just started collecting G-Shocks about 3 months ago so I don't really have that many yet to show and tell. :( But I can send you a few pics of those that I have.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi nick, i see you have a 25th anni mudman and a frogman on the way... nice :-!. i'm damn tempted also but am resisting because i dont imagine wearing them that often.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hello Malaysian brothers and neighbours, so nice to see you all here. You know, I have a feeling that there is a huge potential for finding G-Shock vintages in Malaysia since it is so much bigger than tiny Singapore.

Have any of you gone from state to state hunting for G-Shocks? Is it easy to get good models there?:-!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello Malaysian brothers and neighbours, so nice to see you all here. You know, I have a feeling that there is a huge potential for finding G-Shock vintages in Malaysia since it is so much bigger than tiny Singapore.

Have any of you gone from state to state hunting for G-Shocks? Is it easy to get good models there?:-!
Hi Gameboy,

I've just started collecting G-Shocks and there are indeed some shops that I would frequent to get my watches. However, when I do travel to other states such as Sabah, I'll make it a point to check out some shops there and believe it or not, sometime they do carry the most obsolete styles that I've only seen in catalogues but the price is still rather expensive.

Nevertheless, it is indeed a fun thing to hop around and see what I could get at the end of the day. I might even drop by Singapore some time early December to scout around. Do you have any recommendations?

·
Registered
64 Posts
hi nick, i see you have a 25th anni mudman and a frogman on the way... nice :-!. i'm damn tempted also but am resisting because i dont imagine wearing them that often.
Hi John,

Hehehe...Honestly, I think I'll only wear them once and store them away right after that! I know that they are meant to be tough and shock-resistant and all but the thought of banging my Frogman or any of my G-Shocks as a matter of fact seems quite unbearable for me.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi John,

Hehehe...Honestly, I think I'll only wear them once and store them away right after that! I know that they are meant to be tough and shock-resistant and all but the thought of banging my Frogman or any of my G-Shocks as a matter of fact seems quite unbearable for me.

|> Spoken like a true watch collector, Nickster!

How about this:

Buy 2, keep one, and wear the other as often as you like

Or buy 3, keep one, wear the second one, and trade/sell the third

Or buy 4, keep one, wear the second one, trade/sell the third one, and the fourth is for just-in-case

Or .....better stop here, or I'm gonna get stoned alive :-d

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Looking for G-collectors in Malaysia (and neighbouring Singapore also can lah...)

haha, it's quite a vicious cycle isn't it? so many factors going into whether to purchase, then which to buy, then is it worth it, or can i get more than 1 for a better price... and after i buy, shall i wear it, how often shall i wear it...

and with regards to the watch hunting, i've done my fair share of walking around the city streets looking through all the independent old shops for new old stocks / dead stocks but so far the pickings are slim and if there are anything, the price is still kinda steep. i am usually hoping the shop would be willing to let it go cheaply as certain models are really old and the battery is usually already dead.

for example i found a shop with several dw-6200 (rally) and dw-6300 (pre-frogman) models. the 6200s were actually quite cool but the condition wasn't so good even though they appear to have been there for quite some time. the 6300s were dead and dusty but still quite pricey. so no sale for them.<|

so nick and ultramanpat, what industry are you in and whereabouts are you guys located?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

How about this:

Or buy 4, keep one, wear the second one, trade/sell the third one, and the fourth is for just-in-case

--------------------:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d------------------

regards,

Kirk M.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Re: Looking for G-collectors in Malaysia (and neighbouring Singapore also can lah...)

haha, it's quite a vicious cycle isn't it? so many factors going into whether to purchase, then which to buy, then is it worth it, or can i get more than 1 for a better price... and after i buy, shall i wear it, how often shall i wear it...

and with regards to the watch hunting, i've done my fair share of walking around the city streets looking through all the independent old shops for new old stocks / dead stocks but so far the pickings are slim and if there are anything, the price is still kinda steep. i am usually hoping the shop would be willing to let it go cheaply as certain models are really old and the battery is usually already dead.

for example i found a shop with several dw-6200 (rally) and dw-6300 (pre-frogman) models. the 6200s were actually quite cool but the condition wasn't so good even though they appear to have been there for quite some time. the 6300s were dead and dusty but still quite pricey. so no sale for them.<|

so nick and ultramanpat, what industry are you in and whereabouts are you guys located?

Hi John5,

I'm located in Singapore, just a skip and a hop from Malaysia, my industry is DVD disc manufacturing, and I like to visit KL when I have the time or when work sends me there for a couple of days.:)

Good food, a few good friends there, and great shopping as well. |>

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi

I am from Malaysia as well. Have been collecting G shocks for 3 years. I now have (lost count) many of them.

hey malaysian g-shock collectors, identify yourselves and so one day we can meet for a tt session and also show and tell. |> so to get the ball rolling, i'm john and i live in kl. also any other collectors who plan to visit malaysia, maybe you can make some new friends here eh?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

Oohh, 6200 are so classic, I would have grabbed it and the old dw-6300 is nice too. Out of curiosity, how much were they going for, for mad G-Shock collectors like me here on the forum, we usually have a higher tolerance for pain when it comes to paying for a vintage :-!

Although it's great, I hate the internet sometimes because now nearly everyone shopkeeper knows what are the good vintages and how to price them accordingly. 8 - 9 years ago when I was at the height of collecting G-Shocks, most of the shopkeeprs wouldn't know a vinatge and would sell them RRP or even cheaper :-|

·
Registered
64 Posts

How about this:

Hahahahaa! Good ideas Pat! But I think I'll just stick to getting one piece of each since I'm into collecting and not really into trading. Being this way will help me to be more appreciative of what I have. After all, it's human nature to take things for granted especially when they have too many of a good thing. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts

Hi John,

I'm working as a head buyer for an international fashion brand in Malaysia. Currently am working and living in KL. What about you? :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi Nickster,

Just wondering how much you got your Dawn Black Frogman for...

Was in KL for a meeting last friday and spotted in at the G-Shock counter in KLCC Isetan. Price tag was a solid 1399 ringgit... :-(

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
great to see the 'local' collectors coming out of the woodwork.. haha. from what i remember, the dw-6200 i saw was still going for close to rm$300 but i believe there was some bargaining possibility. however imho the condition didn't really warrant that price.

i myself am currently in-between jobs, or rhow i'd like to call it - on a lifestyle sabbatical.. heh. any of you guys have job openings??? i come from a post-production background and am seeking new challenges.

btw i'm in the ampang area so if you guys are around, i reckon a tt session is in order. yah?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Nickster,

Just wondering how much you got your Dawn Black Frogman for...

Was in KL for a meeting last friday and spotted in at the G-Shock counter in KLCC Isetan. Price tag was a solid 1399 ringgit... :-(
Hi Reznor,

That's the same price that I paid for. :) But it's all worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ok, will email you if there's an opportunity. Ampang, nice, G-shocks and Yong Tau Foo (local asian food comprised of veggies and bean curd to our international members). :-!

great to see the 'local' collectors coming out of the woodwork.. haha. from what i remember, the dw-6200 i saw was still going for close to rm$300 but i believe there was some bargaining possibility. however imho the condition didn't really warrant that price.

i myself am currently in-between jobs, or rhow i'd like to call it - on a lifestyle sabbatical.. heh. any of you guys have job openings??? i come from a post-production background and am seeking new challenges.

btw i'm in the ampang area so if you guys are around, i reckon a tt session is in order. yah?

1 - 20 of 286 Posts