WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

So I'm considering getting a new camera, as atm I just use my smartphone.

I'd want something that I can also use when taking pictures of my watches, as well as general use.

My budget is strictly entry level, and I've been considering the Sony A5100.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-5100-body-kit

Scrolling through here I can see plenty of people are pretty good at photography, so I was looking for some thoughts and advice.

Would the Sony suit my needs, or is there something better out there?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Other than the A5100 I would also give a recommendation to the Nikon D3400 or the Olympus OM-D EM10 MKII.
Both cameras are pretty great , have useful tutorials on YouTube, and you can find some really great prime/macro lenses that are fantastic for watch photography.
I myself use a Sony a6000 only because I found a good deal on the camera before I saw a deal for the other cameras mentioned.
Here are a few examples of what it is capable of:

fullsizeoutput_e9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_253.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_132.jpeg

Reactions: Watch That Sweep

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hi all!

So I'm considering getting a new camera, as atm I just use my smartphone.

I'd want something that I can also use when taking pictures of my watches, as well as general use.

My budget is strictly entry level, and I've been considering the Sony A5100.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-5100-body-kit

Scrolling through here I can see plenty of people are pretty good at photography, so I was looking for some thoughts and advice.

Would the Sony suit my needs, or is there something better out there?
Go mirrorless. "Cannikon" has just entered the game against Sony and Fuji. Should get real competitive real soon. Prisms are unnecessary. :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go mirrorless. "Cannikon" has just entered the game against Sony and Fuji. Should get real competitive real soon. Prisms are unnecessary. :)

That's why I was looking at the Sony. Same sensor as an entry level Canon DSLR, but higher pixels and lighter.

I have borrowed a Canon Eos 1300 and was impressed with the results.

Managed to shoot this with it which I was quite pleased with.

IMG_20180810_185848_402.jpg
IMG_20180808_192317_088.jpg

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This might not be what you're looking for, but saw an article about iPhone lens attachments.
Might be an inexpensive answer. I found a random pic.
View attachment 13443381
Thanks, but I'm after a dedicated camera. These are good, but they're still limited by the phone.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
That's why I was looking at the Sony. Same sensor as an entry level Canon DSLR, but higher pixels and lighter.

I have borrowed a Canon Eos 1300 and was impressed with the results.

Managed to shoot this with it which I was quite pleased with.

View attachment 13443799
View attachment 13443807
The imaging dept where I work has a Sony Alpha a-7 III with the G Master lenses. Every time I go down there I'm a kid in a candy store. Impeccable shots! It's what turned me on to mirrorless. If you can drop that much on that series, go for it.

As they say, pay a high price and cry once, or go cheap and cry forever... (Same with watches!)

Reactions: McCarthy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Take great consideration into mirrorless because that is where the future is going. I currently shot with Nikon and was looking into going full frame D850, that is until the Z model came out last month. Olympus and Sony already has their line available to to purchase at retailers. I recommend going to your local camera store and take some test shots. The weight differential alone is persuading. Apparently the focus capability on the mirror system is levels above the current DSLR’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Take great consideration into mirrorless because that is where the future is going. I currently shot with Nikon and was looking into going full frame D850, that is until the Z model came out last month. Olympus and Sony already has their line available to to purchase at retailers. I recommend going to your local camera store and take some test shots. The weight differential alone is persuading. Apparently the focus capability on the mirror system is levels above the current DSLR’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. The Sony Alphas have hundreds of floating AF points. Most Cannikon models have a fraction of that. Makes a huge difference.

Reactions: McCarthy

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mirrorless does seem to be the way to go.

Very few negatives them from what I can see.

I'll be having a look at some in the shops later, so hopefully I'll be able to narrow it down.

Thanks for everyones help so far!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had a Sony a6000 before my current camera and wished I never sold it. Mirrorless cameras are a great compromise between performance and function. It was really easy to carry around and took some wonderful photos.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a Nikon D7200 with a pretty highly rated macro lens from Tokina. My friend has an entry level Nikon DSLR which is a D3400, and he uses an 18-200mm lens. Anyway, his watch pics are 10X better than mine. Why? Because he knows what he's doing when it comes to lighting for watch and other small product photography....So, I may get blasted for saying this but what the heck... Stepping up to a capable camera will no doubt help up your game but if you learn the lighting and how to control it, that is going to make an even greater difference than what camera you use.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm on the look out for a new camera too so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

One feature that's important to me is size and weight. If you don't have the camera with you, you won't get the shot.

I'd also like to have a viewfinder.

OK one more thing, 3X optical zoom is barely adequate and extra lenses means toting a camera bag.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Sony A7R II with the Sony FE 90 mm F2.8 Macro G OSS lens.

This combination is sharper than the Carl Zeiss Apo Planar T* Otus 85mm F14 ZF.2, which retails at $4,500, and sharper than Canon 300mm F2.8 / 500mm F4 / 600mm F2.8 / F4 (yep, those $10,000 plus lenses).

DxOMark Total Score: 47

DxOMark Sharpness Score: 42

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-90mm-F28-Macro-G-OSS-mounted-on-Sony-A7R-II__1035

Been using this combo for several years now. Sold all my Canon L-lenses. They stand no chance.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sony A7R II with the Sony FE 90 mm F2.8 Macro G OSS lens.

This combination is sharper than the Carl Zeiss Apo Planar T* Otus 85mm F14 ZF.2, which retails at $4,500, and sharper than Canon 300mm F2.8 / 500mm F4 / 600mm F2.8 / F4 (yep, those $10,000 plus lenses).

DxOMark Total Score: 47

DxOMark Sharpness Score: 42

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-90mm-F28-Macro-G-OSS-mounted-on-Sony-A7R-II__1035

Been using this combo for several years now. Sold all my Canon L-lenses. They stand no chance.

[img removed to conserve bandwidth]

Hi

Wow, that lens takes great pictures but it seems to be a fixed 90mm lens? What do you do for zoom?

Regards
M1

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi. That's a nice thread! I enhanced my own game with one single camera / fixed lens: a Fujifilm X100F.
FUJIFILM X100F | X Series | Digital Cameras | Fujifilm USA

I'm crazy for this camera, its look is amazing and the capability infinite. Leaf shutter for high speed flash, wealthy material, small footprint makes it a daily companion. Its macro mode is also quite good, made my SARB035 pics on this camera (and it can do better! ;-) )

https://tokyo.craigslist.jp/clo/6694752408.html?lang=en&cc=us

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Mirrorless does seem to be the way to go.
If anyone you talk to is on the fence about mirrorless, just kindly remind them that there's a 95% chance they actively walk around all day with a mirrorless camera right in their very own pocket... ;-)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Double your pleasure, double your post...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts