WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have 2 vintage watches that were passed down to me from my grandfather 40 years ago, I believe they're both over 100 years old and wondered if anyone could help me get more info on them or maybe even some idea of values?

One is a Vertex. It's a gold watch and has no information on the dial other than the brand and the back is completely unmarked.

vertex.jpg

The other is a Verdal Datographe there is a serial number on the back 8145

20190708_114614.jpg

Both watches are in good working order.

Can anyone help?!

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I thought the Verdal would have been older. I'll repost in the valuation thread - many thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Laikrodukas is referring you to the sticky on valuations, the one entitled:

"Vintage Watch Valuations - Read These Rules Before Asking"

Be wary of opening that Verdal, looks like Radium lume, half life 1600 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha yes I saw the notes and understood, it's ok I was just curious anyway - I'm not to looking to sell... unless I'm sitting on a gold mine, which I'm not!

No intention of opening the watches, it always amazes that they used Radium really, that old Russian glassware is full of it, but I understand in such small amounts that it's not really harmful.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wouldn't advise ingestion, inhalation or application as an unction in any quantity.

But if it remains contained in the watch case, the amount of radiation emitted is normally considered not to be significantly high.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts