WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I decided to post this vintage Illinois wristwatch that I recently acquired in hopes of finding out more information about it (specs, model, etc). So far, I know that it is a 1907 model (serial# 2096131) with a porcelain dial. I'm also curious to know if this is a gents watch or if it is a ladies model. If anyone can give me more information about it, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Hi, and welcome.
Nice piece, its a cushion shaped case with 'enamel' dial (not porcelain) and a nice red seconds track and sunk sub seconds at '6' o'clock

Movement is 1907, but as a wristwatch, not earlier than 1916/17.

Oh! A mans watch.

A

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Exactly
Movements were made for small pocket (hence 1907) watches then fitted into wristwatch cases from about 1915.
Illinois, I feel will be circa 1916 or 17.

A

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Pleasure.
Nice piece
Enjoy
a

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Hello, I decided to post this vintage Illinois wristwatch that I recently acquired in hopes of finding out more information about it (specs, model, etc). So far, I know that it is a 1907 model (serial# 2096131) with a porcelain dial. I'm also curious to know if this is a gents watch or if it is a ladies model. If anyone can give me more information about it, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Let's get that back off and post photo of the inside and one of the movement as well. 2096131 = 1908. Nice porcelain. Love the red! (I think that your watch may have a little bit more of a story to tell. ;-))

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Let's get that back off and post photo of the inside and one of the movement as well. 2096131 = 1908. Nice porcelain. Love the red! (I think that your watch may have a little bit more of a story to tell. ;-))
Ahh, so it is a 1908, not '07. And the dial is actually porcelain..? that's what I was initially told about this piece by the 25+ year collector whom I purchased this watch from.

Although the full story will have to wait until I get all of the details in order. In due time, I will tell the tale. As for the movement itself, I will make sure to get pictures soon enough.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Ahh, so it is a 1908, not '07. And the dial is actually porcelain..? that's what I was initially told about this piece by the 25+ year collector whom I purchased this watch from.

Although the full story will have to wait until I get all of the details in order. In due time, I will tell the tale. As for the movement itself, I will make sure to get pictures soon enough.

It would be considered an enamel dial because it's fired on to a metal substrate. Porcelain has no metal substrate and uses a different material

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Ahh, so it is a 1908, not '07. . . . .
Per the Illinois historical database.

. . . . . And the dial is actually porcelain..? that's what I was initially told about this piece by the 25+ year collector whom I purchased this watch from. . . . .
Yes. Vitrified glass.

. . . . . Although the full story will have to wait until I get all of the details in order. In due time, I will tell the tale. As for the movement itself, I will make sure to get pictures soon enough.
I know what the movement looks like. I am more interested in the inside of the caseback. Did you find the notch where you insert the knife?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know what the movement looks like. I am more interested in the inside of the caseback. Did you find the notch where you insert the knife?
I did find the notch and got the cover off. The caseback is stamped with: "SCEPTER" and the number 8982649.

Also, "MC 8148A" is engraved above SCEPTER. And the following is engraved below 8982649:
"1898G"
"2726"
"3529"

Any idea as to what the engravings stand for? And what SCEPTER and 8982649 indicate?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
The scratches are jewelers repair dates and notes.

The large number is the case serial number

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
As to the case manufacturer... Mikrolisk lists a Scepter trademark registered to Star Watch Case Co. in 1911. Seems like it might be the grade of the case. What was the hierarchy of these, I do not know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts