WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've been after a Leonidas Moonphase for ages and have been watching ebay like a hawk. One came up the other day that seemed like a reasonable price to me ($550) and I took the plunge even though I had some reservations. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to find information about any of Leonidas's watches (I know they merged with Heuer in 1964).

The problem with working out authenticity is that there are so many different variations of the watch floating around... I didn't even know there was an automatic model until I found this and did some googling. Even the case sizes seem to vary from 34-37mm (this one is 34mm) If anyone knows anything about the movement that would be great, although what I could find suggests that it's from the correct era. All the hands seems to be original. The watch dial itself doesn't look repainted to me at first glance, but its the only model I've seen with the Leonidas logo above the triple date instead of below, so it may be a redial...

Regardless if it's a franken or redial I love the look of it and intend to keep it, but it would be nice to know some more about it! Maybe even a rough date (I think 1950s).

Here are some pictures of the watch:
$_57.JPG

$_57 (2).JPG

$_57777.jpg

$_57 (3).JPG

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
Leonidas was a Heuer underbrand, this one has a very rare felsa bidynator with complete calendar with moon phase movement. One of the corrective pushers located under the crown in the first pic is rusted and the movement seems dirty and with rust. You have to look for a very top notch and qualified watchmaker to get it serviced and restored regarding the pusher.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Regardless of the rust, the rest of the watch appears to be in good shape. I would love to find one of these on eBay in my price range at some point in my collecting career (any triple-date moonphase, really, but an automatic one is too much to hope for!). The dial appears to me to be original... not because I know what it is actually supposed to look like, but because all of the printed markers/text lines up perfectly with the moonphase window and stamped hour markers, with everything perfectly centered and in perfect angles. Someone who collects these particular watches might be able to tell you for sure if this is a redial or someone might see something I don't, but I'd be happy with it even if it is a redial.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leonidas was a Heuer underbrand, this one has a very rare felsa bidynator with complete calendar with moon phase movement. One of the corrective pushers located under the crown in the first pic is rusted and the movement seems dirty and with rust. You have to look for a very top notch and qualified watchmaker to get it serviced and restored regarding the pusher.
Ok great thanks for the help! I do intend to get it serviced asap hoping it isn't too expensive but will see!

Hi there,

the base movement is a Felsa 415:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements : Felsa 415 Bidynator

As this was a pilot series for the well known 690, Felsa spent no individual calibre number for the few equipped with calendar module. Hoever, the calendar is identical to the one on the Felsa 693:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements : Felsa 693 Bidynator

Regards, Roland Ranfft
Wow I didn't realise you posted on here I've used your site a lot! Thanks for the information.

Regardless of the rust, the rest of the watch appears to be in good shape. I would love to find one of these on eBay in my price range at some point in my collecting career (any triple-date moonphase, really, but an automatic one is too much to hope for!). The dial appears to me to be original... not because I know what it is actually supposed to look like, but because all of the printed markers/text lines up perfectly with the moonphase window and stamped hour markers, with everything perfectly centered and in perfect angles. Someone who collects these particular watches might be able to tell you for sure if this is a redial or someone might see something I don't, but I'd be happy with it even if it is a redial.
They are beautiful aren't they? I was originally after any triple date but this and the Universal Geneve's (of course) kept catching my eye. It seems like they are becoming more and more popular so the prices are rising unfortunately! Thanks for your opinion, having someone else feel the same way has got me even more excited for it's arrival haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts