WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the hunt for my first German watch, and I want it to be 100% German. I am looking for a watch that would be representative of a true German watch, having heritage is a plus to me but not a necessity so to speak. So if you had $500 to spend, what would you get?

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's not 100% German (swiss movt) but the Sinn 556 is to me an amazingly clean and classic design. Can be dressed up or down, might put you a bit over your budget but keep an eye out on the sale forums and one might pop up around $700-$800.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,892 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Hi Buddha Jones,

Mike is right. :-!

A vintage NOS I bought for less than 200,-€:

(Movement: PUW 61)

Less elegance, more function (bought for less than 350,-€):

(Movement: DUROWE 471-4)

Even modern ones you can (eventually b-)) get for less than 1.000,-$:

(Movement: PUW 1561)

Good luck (and patience) in finding an "All German Watch",

Volker ;-)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I think vintage, NOS for less than $ 500 is a great shot. One of the most surprising things I ever picked up was a NOS Laco for around $ 200 that had a Tissot plastic movement in it--come one vintage freaks, give me some help on this one--the movement by Tissot that was made entirely out of plastic, except, I think for the escape wheel. Was that ever a find. For $ 500 you should be able to get something really good and possibly NOS in vintage. Keep an eye out for the PUW bi-directional winding movement. I think it might even be the PUW 1561 illustrated above. It's a good movement and they often turn up.

Another place for the truly adventurous is old Ruhla/ G.U.B watches. I've repaired a number of old Spezmatics, cannibalizing movements for parts. It never fails to fill me with wonder. It has probably the most devilishly ingenious calendar mechanism--plastic,often see-thru, no less to help you reassemble it-- that I think if have ever seen. How they would stand up to day to day wear is anyone's guess.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts