WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for recommendations. < $3k casual auto chrono leather prefer 40mm+ & blue dials if avail.

Looking to add a casual watch to my current inventory. In my collection, the nicest one I have is an Omega Speedmaster Day-Date accompanied by two Seikos; all have metal bracelets.

I would like like to find something that I can wear daily and with a preference for the following criteria:
  • Leather band
  • Deployment clasp
  • 40mm+
  • White dials
  • Blue hands (if possible)
  • Classy & Casual
  • Recognizable brand
  • Price point would be $2.5k no more than $3k.

What I have considered so far:
  • Longines MC L2.717.4.71.3
    movadobaby_2200_714620385.jpg

• Longines MC L2.673.4.78.3
    movadobaby_2201_140709817.jpg

• Hamilton Maestro (went to an AD to try this on)
    H32716859.jpg
    I found the overall style and size to be visually appealing, its silver dial, hands, and base made everything too monochromatic. The case back seemed a bit bulky and not as refined. A deployment clasp is available as an additional part order.

• Oris Artelier
    39675804051LS.jpg
    Have not seen this one in person yet, so I really can't comment.

• Raymond Weil Moonphase
    movadobaby_2203_44311458.jpg
    Blue dials, moonphase but falls a bit small at 39mm

Would really appreciate any feedback on the ones mentioned above, thoughts or suggestions for ones that I should also consider. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Re: Looking for recommendations. > $3k casual auto chrono leather prefer 40mm+ & blue dials if avai

It's about $5k, perhaps a little less after the AD discount, but you really can't do any better at that price ...

(borrowed image)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Looking for recommendations. > $3k casual auto chrono leather prefer 40mm+ & blue dials if avai

It's about $5k, perhaps a little less after the AD discount, but you really can't do any better at that price ...

(borrowed image)
Zenith watches are masterpieces. However, rather out of my price range for now.

Out of the above you have mentioned I like the clean looks of the Oris the most.

But I like this one more:
L2.693.4.78.3 - The Longines Master Collection - Watchmaking Tradition - Watches - Longines Swiss Watchmakers since 1832
View attachment 658310
I find the date placement slightly out of place, although a very beautiful piece.

·
Registered
313 Posts

If you can find somewhere an Epos Originale 3415 Chronograph.

Or Epos Emotion Chronograph 3394...

Stowa Marine Chronograph

Hamilton Jazzmaster Spirit Of Liberty

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Re: Looking for recommendations. < $3k casual auto chrono leather prefer 40mm+ & blue dials if avai

How about the Hamilton Pan-Europ?

(borrowed image)

It was a limited edition piece for 2011, but examples might still be available with some ADs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Re: Looking for recommendations. < $3k casual auto chrono leather prefer 40mm+ & blue dials if avai

Baume & Mercier Classima Chronograph

·
Registered
7,751 Posts

I think your best option in blue for under $3k would be the Seiko Brightz Phoenix automatic chronograph SAGK007:

It has the column-wheel 8R28 Seiko chronograph movement which is very well made. The watch exudes quality and is just the right side of sporty, IMO. It's a JDM Seiko and can be found online on Rakuten (you could try Seiya, Higuchi and Chino as well).

Edit: I prefer to get watches on bracelet since that way I can get an aftermarket leather strap and have the watch both on metal and leather. It works out cheaper than buying it on leather and then trying to source an OEM bracelet. Buy an aftermarket croc strap and fit it on the watch if you want.

·
Registered
51 Posts

The watches I covet in your price range/likes

Mens Epos 3391 Emotion Series Moonphase watch

Beautiful and unique piece, it will turn heads.

Hammy Spirit of Liberty

If 42mm would fit me well, this would be my first choice because of how unique and historically significant it is!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Baume & Mercier Classima Chronograph
Wow! What a great recommendation. It fits the budget, has blue dials, deployment clasp and beautiful classic looks. In terms of quality and historical value, how does B&M compare to Longines? (please forgive my ignorance as I am very new to the watch world).

I think this B&M is very close in comparison to the Longines Moonphase. To me, the advantage is that Amazon.com sells this and carries their two year warranty. Is 42mm compared to a 40mm on the Longines. However, one dislike is that I find the case back rather unattractive with such a small window.

At home point, I considered the Hamilton Maestro (42mm?) with a additional deployment clasp (sold separately). However, after trying a few on at my local Hamilton AD, I found these watches to have a lack of detail and finesse; everything about it just seems bulky.

As for Longines, I have narrowed down my decision to their MC L2.673.4.78.3 (Moonphase) . I will start my research on B&M.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mido.

·
Registered
51 Posts

B&M is a brand that is making a comeback but has fallen down in the past.

·
Registered
131 Posts

How about a tag?

cas2111.ba0730.jpg

Its at the top of your budget at $2995 from authentic watches.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

wow, awesome, post some pics.
Thanks and hopefully will have some time tonight to do so.

Does anyone know where I can get a Longines black leather strap for this watch?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Very nice choice.

Why limit yourself to a Longines strap, which you will probably be charged 4X what it's really worth? Take a look at some of the good aftermarket suppliers and expand your options.

One I can recommend very highly is The Watch Boys. I just bought one of their 24mm honey alligator straps for my PAM111 and the quality is fantastic as was the price ($109 US including priority shipping). I couldn't be happier with it. I could bore you with the details about why it's such a good strap, but I won't.... just trust me. A black alligator on yours would be a great choice. They also have blue alligator, which might be an interesting look on your watch.

To put it in perspective, for the cost of a single OEM strap, you can probably buy 3 or 4 different top quality aftermarket straps and dress your watch up with different looks. Just like wearing different ties with the same suit creates a different look, swapping straps to create different looks for your watch is always a great idea. My recommendation, since you already have a dark brown, is to pick up good quality aftermarket honey brown, black, and dark blue alligators and have some fun with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts