WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I recently purchased a used 9 year old example of an Omega Speedmaster Professional 3873.50.31 'sapphire sandwich' which I managed to get a good deal on, however when i asked the seller about it's servicing he stated that it had not had one nor will it need one any time soon as he knew many people with calibre 1863 movement speedy's who have never had problems with them. I've decided to go ahead with a service but am unsure of a reputable watchmaker to carry out the work.I have a few quick questions for you guys, How long does it generally take for a full service and also what kinda damage am i looking at price-wise? Nearest one to me acc to the Omega website is the Omega store in the Trafford Centre, is it best to stick with going direct to omega? Many thanks in advance for any responses, Chris.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hi Chris, I can't recommend any independent repairers in the Manchester area. However, this repairer based in Cumbria gets very good feedback on the TZ-UK forum. Might be worthwhile to give them a call

Genesis Watchmaking Official Website- Watch Repair, Waterproof Watch Testing, Guaranteed Service

If you take the watch to the Omega boutique in the Trafford Centre they will send the watch to Omega service centre in Southampton. Turnaround time is typically 8 weeks. There is a service price list on Omega's website. Your cal 1863 watch falls into category 3, mechanical on strap and service price is £370.

OMEGA Watches: Service prices

Other members may be able to recommend someone nearer to home. I'd be interested myself as I send my watches to Southampton.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mike Wood/The Old Watch Shop in Southport was about the closest and he had a good reputation, but sadly his watchmaker passed away recently and they can no longer handle general repair/service work.

I just used Stephen Burrage at Ryte Time Watch Repairs, based in Leicester, for a service on my 60's 565 caliber De Ville. Very competitive prices, and a very good reputation both on here and on TZ-UK. I found him to be a little absent minded - I asked for pics of the movement if possible, or at least a note of the movement number, since I'd like to date my watch and the unishell case isn't something mere mortals can open. He forgot both unfortunately... On the flip side the watch is now keeping great time - it was running 2 minutes per day fast, and now runs 10 seconds fast if unworn or about 3-4 seconds fast on the wrist so that the spring stays fully wound.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Well its good to hear you are sending it in for a service. Heard good things about Ryte time as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts