WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - first post here.

I'm a rather young guy (25) and my pregnant wife was thinking of buying me a watch for father's day. I haven't worn a watch since I got a cell phone 10 years ago, but I used to be obsessed with them as a kid/preteen. Researching the possibilities really re-sparked the old hobby and my mind is racing with possibilities. She wanted to get me something expensive, but because of the baby and the fact that I don't currently wear a watch, I wanted to get a starter watch under 200 before looking at the higher end stuff in a couple years from now.

Mainly I've been looking at Seikos, Citizen Eco Drives, and a few Orients. I don't really care if its Auto or quartz, but a part of me wants to try out an automatic. There really is only TWO criteria: I have pretty small wrists (6.5") so I'd like to keep the face under 40mm, and that it has to be a dressier watch. I wear black suits to work almost everyday and work with people much older than me with expensive tastes. In other words, looking for a respectable bang for the buck watch that matches a suit.

To give you an idea of the styles that I like, I kinda like watches that look like this:

Newegg.com - Citizen Eco-Drive Elektra Mens Watch BM5020-57H

(black face, not too busy, clean looking, smaller face)

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Welcome to WUS!!

I am a seiko fan so I'm a little biased. I really like the Seiko SNZH57, sporty yet dresses up very nicely under a suit.

I am not a fan of gold-tones but this one looks sharp IMHO. Availability is tough right now though, so you'll have to be patient and wait for the supply to catch up to the demand. Case size is small, at 48mm from lug end to lug end.

·
Registered
12,787 Posts
Hello & welcome

Please wait untill after, don't tempt fate, then one each...can't go wrong with an eco....

Many congrats btw

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Seiko 5, or an eco-drive for that matter.

I like this one:

SNZG53K1_MED.jpg

SNZG53 World Timer. 38,5mm dial, and it has the usual Seiko 5 goodies, see-through caseback, automatic 7S36 movement, day-date complication. You can find it for less than 150$ shipped.

And welcome to WUS, and congrats!

·
Registered
278 Posts
+1 for the Seiko 5!:-!

I like the SNK357 - very simple, elegant, automatic, Seiko............under $100!!!!!

I am wondering whether to get that or the Alpha sub, myself.....I'm torn. :think: Seiko has the Reputation to back up its' great looks. They make great watches. I see I'm talking myself into the 5........lol. But, that's just today.....tomorrow, I'll have a chubby for a sub again......:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an Orient CET05001W that I like a lot. It's automatic, smallish, and it looks great. The pictures on the Orient site really don't do it justice. The dial is closer to a silver color and it has a great texture to it. If you look around a bit you can probably find a decent coupon code for it too which would put it well under your proposed budget.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an Orient CET05001W that I like a lot. It's automatic, smallish, and it looks great. The pictures on the Orient site really don't do it justice. The dial is closer to a silver color and it has a great texture to it. If you look around a bit you can probably find a decent coupon code for it too which would put it well under your proposed budget.
I was actually looking at this exact model. Was debating Black vs White though. I came across a discount code that makes them well into my price range.

I was also looking at the Seiko 5 series automatics, but I think I ruled them out to the Orient. Now, just trying to compare/contrast them to the Eco Drives.

This is the one that I've been looking at: Amazon.com: Citizen Men's BM8430-59E Eco-Drive WR100 Sport Watch: J-Class: Watches

Pretty much comes down to Eco Drive versus Automatic... hmmm haha

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wiarumas: Dammit! Now I have ANOTHER watch in my wishlist pile! LOL

·
Registered
255 Posts
Perhaps this eco-drive? It's a quartz, but it fits all your criteria...

BM6015-51E

41lTIdA3pTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
If you wear black suits alot, you might consider a black PVD watch. The black-on-black look is classic.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would go with an automatic Orient or Seiko over an eco-drive. You would have no issues wearing a 40 or 41mm watch with a lug-to-lug of less than 50mm with a suit. I have 6.25" wrists, and 40-42mm watches without long lugs are what I prefer. The Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor would be a good option too. You won't find a watch with a better bracelet in the price range. It's 40mm with a sapphire crystal, Miyota auto movement, solid end link bracelet with screwed-in links, and 200m water resistance with screw down crown. The fact that it's a boutique brand adds appeal to it as well for me. Since it will be a present, the wooden box the Anchor comes in is a nice added touch. Despite what the dress watch purists say, I think an Orient Mako with blue or black dial on bracelet or leather would look good with a suit also. I wouldn't hesitate to wear an skx007 on bracelet with a suit either. The polished surfaces, reasonable case sizes, and classic looks would be fine with a suit. Here's the BBA:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor
From the bracelet to the black croc strap to a Nato. This watch will not disappoint and it's priced right. I am wearing mine as I type and I'm dead serious when I tell you if it was my first watch I would be very happy for a long time. Runs like a champ and will never go out of style.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was actually looking at this exact model. Was debating Black vs White though. I came across a discount code that makes them well into my price range.

I was also looking at the Seiko 5 series automatics, but I think I ruled them out to the Orient. Now, just trying to compare/contrast them to the Eco Drives.

This is the one that I've been looking at: Amazon.com: Citizen Men's BM8430-59E Eco-Drive WR100 Sport Watch: J-Class: Watches

Pretty much comes down to Eco Drive versus Automatic... hmmm haha
I got the white version for my gf that wanted a larger face watch, but didn't want the bulk of a bezeled watch like most dive watches. It is very cool looking. The only problem is the date wheel stopped working consistently. I am waiting to send it back for repair/replacement. The Orient is 38mm and looks great on the 6" wrist.

I wish the norm was to measure the width of your wrist, it is a much more relevant number IMO. As long as the Lugs aren't near the same size as your wrist with (or worse, hanging over your wrist) you should be in great shape. The wrist size should only be of concern when adding or removing links IMO.

With that being said, I think the Orient Sky is too small for you, unless you have a very round wrist. If you are going for a thinner dress style watch, you could easily wear a 42mm watch.

·
Registered
177 Posts
+1 on the Binnacle Anchor. Classy yet robust, would look good with a suit or dressed down and wouldn't be too big.

Congrats on the up-coming baby BTW.

·
Registered
47 Posts
+1 on the BBA. Great looking watch. $200 with an automatic movement and sapphire crystal. Heard it has a solid bracelet as well. Have heard many great things about that watch and Fred.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts