WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

This is my first post, but let me say that I have already found this forum very useful.

Here is my question: I live in Beijing, and I am looking for a Sea-Gull Pocket Watch. I know they were several models produced recently, even if not necessarily currently.

Problem is that I can't seem to find a Sea-gull retailer. The Sea-Gull website appears to be old, and not really aimed at consumers but rather is a B2B site.

So...does anyone know where i could locate a Sea-Gull retailer, and hopefully a Sea-Gull pocket watch, in Beijing??

-Thanks in advance,

-1967-

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I don't know about beijing but online you might try taobao. the only seagull pocket watch i saw was the m3600 also marked st3600, an s on the end is stainless, sg is gold color, sk is a skeleton watch. also the chinese for pocket watch is 怀表 (huai biao). seagull is 海鸥 (hai ou). good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks.

I have checked TaoBao, there are many listed, but honestly, for whatever reason, the pricing there seems quite insane.

1. 3600RMB-4800RMB= ~$700 for a stainless steel pocket, when a "Charles Hubert" or "Avalon" stainless steel watch, WITH COMPLICATIONS (moon phase etc) costs only us $160 on ebay.

The movements and cases look like they were rolled out of the same factory and I would not be suprised if the "Charles Hubert" really is a Sea Gull in disguise.

2. Also consider that for 4800RMB you could get your self a really nice, functioning, antique fusee.

3. For a little more you can get yourself a SILVER cased Swiss pocket...again, probably with the same movement.

So...to me Taobao just doesn't make sense. I am ready to be disappointed by the retailers as well...if I can find one.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
you likely will be dissapointed. In my experince seagulls(not including vintage) are always cheaper on taobao than in retail stores. also the cheapest one i saw was around 2300 rmb but that's still not very cheap.

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Fwiw, the PW on ebay with complications are 'mushrooms' with Hangzhou movements.

Email usseagull. I bet they can get you one at a better price than taobao.

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Premium Member
22,061 Posts
If you're primarily interested in an affordable pocket watch from a reputable and reliable manufacturer, you might consider the Orient CDD00001W pocket watch, which has sapphire crystal, and a power reserve complication.

The list price on orientwatchusa.com is $390, but there is current a 30% discount, and they routinely have up to 50% discount coupon codes.

Attachments

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,783 Posts
If you're primarily interested in an affordable pocket watch from a reputable and reliable manufacturer, you might consider the Orient CDD00001W pocket watch, which has sapphire crystal, and a power reserve complication.

The list price on orientwatchusa.com is $390, but there is current a 30% discount, and they routinely have up to 50% discount coupon codes.
Ah, but that is not Chinese, and it uses a wristwatch movement in a pocket watch case. Unfortunately the Japanese not longer make a 'real' pocket watch.

My pick for a reputable pocket watch from a traditional manufacturer would be a vintage Jilin Meihualu if you're prepared to trawl Taobao or the local markets.

Part of the problem with Sea-Gull is that they remain primarily a movement manufacturer. Building complete watches is still a secondary business so for low demand pieces like pocket watches will tend to be relatively high.

1967, contact Kevin Ma at ussseagull to see what he can do for you. Meanwhile, enjoy all the other horological treats that Beijing has to offer e.g. vintage watches at the markets.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Problem is that I can't seem to find a Sea-gull retailer. The Sea-Gull website appears to be old, and not really aimed at consumers but rather is a B2B site.

So...does anyone know where i could locate a Sea-Gull retailer, and hopefully a Sea-Gull pocket watch, in Beijing??
The Sea-Gull store in Beijing is here:

Chow Tai Fook
No. 20, Qianmen Street, Chongwen District
Beijing
www.chowtaifook.com

They have pretty much every model that Sea-Gull makes including the double tourbillons. They have the pocket watches there. There are actually 2 stores on the same street about one block apart.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
That's really cool. Ever since i heard they were conected I've looked at every chowtaifu i see down here but none of them (that i went into) carried watches. All I've seen shanghai are a few kiosks in some of the department stores but they don't have the really high end seagulls like the repeaters and the tourbillions.

·
Banned
595 Posts
That's really cool. Ever since i heard they were conected I've looked at every chowtaifu i see down here but none of them (that i went into) carried watches. All I've seen shanghai are a few kiosks in some of the department stores but they don't have the really high end seagulls like the repeaters and the tourbillions.
This is great. I will go check out Chow Tai Fu. Would you also know where can i buy "Beijing Watch" or "Parnis" watches in Beijing. I am also foreigner living in BJ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts