WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I made the fortunate mistake of trying on the Speed Master Pro at the Omega Boutique last week. I've tried on the SMP, AT, etc but this thing really spoke to me. It was just strikingly beautiful and now I can't take my mind off of it. I've gone down the forum and youtube wormhole trying to make sure I select the best option for me.

I'm particularly interested in the new hesalite model. Not for the historic significance but more the price. I've seen a few of the older models trading for around $5k and the new hesalite for close to the same but for a bit more.

I REALLY liked the bracelet on the new model. I guess my question to those that own or have experience with the watch is...should I buy the new version for the bracelet or buy the older model and save a few bucks? Does it make enough difference?

Also, the Omega boutique would not offer any discount. Would it be worth my time to see if I can get a discount at an AD or just go with grey?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the uneducated questions, just trying to make a good decision.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Hey guys, I made the fortunate mistake of trying on the Speed Master Pro at the Omega Boutique last week. I've tried on the SMP, AT, etc but this thing really spoke to me. It was just strikingly beautiful and now I can't take my mind off of it. I've gone down the forum and youtube wormhole trying to make sure I select the best option for me.

I'm particularly interested in the new hesalite model. Not for the historic significance but more the price. I've seen a few of the older models trading for around $5k and the new hesalite for close to the same but for a bit more.

I REALLY liked the bracelet on the new model. I guess my question to those that own or have experience with the watch is...should I buy the new version for the bracelet or buy the older model and save a few bucks? Does it make enough difference?

Also, the Omega boutique would not offer any discount. Would it be worth my time to see if I can get a discount at an AD or just go with grey?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the uneducated questions, just trying to make a good decision.
I waited for the new hesalite version with the new bracelet, new movement and the magnetic resistance up to 15K. There have been some reported issues with the chronograph stopping the whole watch, which I haven't experience but which Omega already has a fix. I personally wouldn't let that stop me from getting it. I'd recommend getting it from an AD. I recommend Rob at Topper Jewelers.

Reactions: npl_texas

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If you really like the bracelet, you should definitely go new. It will give you the added confidence of a full, OEM warranty, plus the satisfaction of knowing you bought it new and will have it for a long time.

Like the member above states, politely negotiate for what you want and you will probably save a few hundred off the top.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,936 Posts
Rob is a great person to work with for a watch like this so I hope you were able to get what you wanted.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
It’s really all just personal preference. To some people, the new models are improved. To some people it may be a downgrade. Personally I don’t like the new bracelet. If old vs new were the exact price, I’d probably pick the old model. Certainly wouldn’t be disappointed with the new one though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm seeing lots of posts in the Bay Area where Rob @ Topper's has really come through. I've bought a few GS from him and he has always outperformed all other competitors.
It is good to see lots of only positive feedback for Topper's.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Last time I checked, a bracelet won't tell you the time. In my rather lengthy time on this planet, whoever dies with the most toys for the cheapest price, wins. Like the SMP ? Get an older version and save $$$ to either buy the bracelet later from Omega, or buy more watches.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Last time I checked, a bracelet won't tell you the time. In my rather lengthy time on this planet, whoever dies with the most toys for the cheapest price, wins. Like the SMP ? Get an older version and save $$$ to either buy the bracelet later from Omega, or buy more watches.
When you die, you can’t take anything with you, and I wouldn’t say anyone is ahead of someone else when you’re 10 feet under. If I’m spending around $5000+ on a watch, I’m going to get exactly what I want the first time, bracelet and all. Besides, buying the new bracelet separately doesn’t really pay off since it’s around the $1000 figure for one as far as I know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts