WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here so forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question or asking in the wrong place.

i picked this up recently and it's super cool but strangely small. Appears to be silver.

Any information would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Huber is mainly known as a watch seller with offices in Munich/Bavaria, Germany. They (founded 1856) are still around, but there was a name change to Andreas Huberer - Bucherer (2009), then just Bucherer, after the company had been acquired by the Swiss watch seller Uhrenhaus Bucherer (2002). They have also made their own watches of various types. I don't know if the one you have is a Huber watch or just a watch sold by them. The half-moon and the crown are the German silver-marks and 0.800 (800/1000) is the standard silver content.

Huber developed watches for busses and street cars. They introduced the radio time-announcement in Germany and had been heavily involved in stop watches and timekeeping for car-races or complicated measuring instruments for expeditions. They were official timekeepers at the 1936 Olympic wintergames in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany (your watch must come from around that period).

Strangely small? Men's wrist watches had been this small in the 1930ies, 1940ies or even 1950ies. They are ladies-size today, but yours is gents for sure. I have some Gothams, Elgins, Wittnauers etc. from that period. You couldn't wear many of them as a male today or people would think you are on your way to the love parade. Your's is already a bit bigger than some of the smallest examples. Very nice watch by the way and yes, you came to the right place!

The experts here will be able to tell you more about the movements, its not my main line of watch collection.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,840 Posts
Wearing a small watch back then demonstrated that you had the cutting edge of technology for small and accurate was hard to achieve. Consider it the iPhone compared to the bricks of the 1980's.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Wearing a small watch back then demonstrated that you had the cutting edge of technology for small and accurate was hard to achieve. Consider it the iPhone compared to the bricks of the 1980's.
Absolutely correct, it was the hype of 'small is beautiful' and good watchmaking was also demonstrated by making the smallest watches/movements, when everything else was fairly common in larger dimensions. But if you (male) sit in the train today with a such a watch on your wrist, how many people around you are aware of this?

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
What concerns an often made suggestion to contact the company directly with questions about age etc. of a watch, in this case it is difficult, if not impossible. Very often, these people are not only competent, but nice and helpful, even if you come along with a complicated question, not generating any commercial business. We recently had a case here with 'Galli' in Zurich, Switzerland. They usually come back with an answer in a couple of days.

After the takeover by Bucherer, the Huber company - or better the sales offices - were more and more integrated into the business of their new owners. The fourth generation of Huber's was represented by Martin Huber, who led the business into the new millenium. He is also the author of standard-works of horology about Patek Philippe and Lange & Soehne.

The only one who might know is Ashley Pace. He is the son of the first wife of Martin Huber from an earlier marriage of her. He had worked as a manager for Huber, but has his own business now. His shop for luxury watches is also in Munich, close to the world's most famous beer-garden Hofbraeuhaus'. You could combine a trip for a good (no, very good) beer with a visit of his store 'Ashley's - Fine Watches and Jewellery'. And if your wife is reluctant to come along: He has also his own line of luxury ladies watches.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,840 Posts
I can't say that I've ever had anyone comment when I've been wearing small watches. But it would surely depend on your social circles. Perhaps though people just assume I'm on my way to the love parade ;)

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I can't say that I've ever had anyone comment when I've been wearing small watches. But it would surely depend on your social circles. Perhaps though people just assume I'm on my way to the love parade ;)
That was meant to be a joke, which originates from a comment of my wife. I have a Gotham watch from the 1940ies and a found a yellow wrist-band in the right width and length, which looked different (and also much darker) when I saw it in the seller's offer. To the left in the picture, there is a Bulova from that period that might be marginably more acceptable to wear, especially with the (wider) brown band.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
That was meant to be a joke, which originates from a comment of my wife. I have a Gotham watch from the 1940ies and a found a yellow wrist-band in the right width and length, which looked different (and also much darker) when I saw it in the seller's offer. To the left in the picture, there is a Bulova from that period that might be marginably more acceptable to wear, especially with the (wider) brown band.
Perhaps the toneau and the tanque shapes could be more generally regarded as less masculine in the decidely smaller forms.

For many however - the dull silver-colored cushions have always appeared very manly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the information! I will report back with the exact size when I get home this evening.

I had thought it was men's and it was billed as a military watch but I don't know anything really about it. It's really cool and runs well.

thanks again

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,271 Posts
I know that Huber didn't make their own movements but instead used a variety of other makers' movements (the top grade had IWC calibres). I can't identify this one for certain but looking through Ranfft's database, this one looks closest to a bridge modification of a Liengme calibre. The shape of the balance cock, position of all the gears and screws and some other details match. To be certain, one would have to see the keyless works.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Liengme 26 / 2643

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
974 Posts
I really like it. Cushion case watches are great. If it is 30mm without the crown I'd wear it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
26mm doesn't sound like much...nowadays. The narrow space between the dial and crystal and the outer edge of the case at 12, 3, 6 and 9 makes it appear bigger than it is, at least that's the way I see it when I look at the photos. Maybe get a strap with a wrist guard for it? Will look good with the lumed hands and numerals, and the entire thing won't look that small anymore. My $0.02.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts