WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently bought a DW004 FIFA watch in white, which due to its age has definately seen better days.
The plan is to strip all the remaining colour from the case and then Rit dye it.
Colour wise I am undecided as I was thinking all black but the buttons are blue. anyhow regardless of the final colour the display layout will not match any colour scheme over the current white, especially if I go for a stealth black look.
So I need the display cut out AND the inner bezel...if this is even a seperate part. in as dark a colour as possible.

This is the plan so if anyone has any parts or other ideas then let me know.
I know it seems a bit wrong to mess with a limited edition but it looks bad as it is.

I just realised that I will have to post a picture as the DW004 varies in the layout, depending on which one it is...for now I can say it has the 'eye' top left, with a bar graph to it's right and then the main display underneath...not a square outline but the one with the extra bit to the the top right. I know that a picture speaks a thousands words etc but anyone who has a few of these older models will understand the differences I am describing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Your display looks like this one?

If so then the module can be lifted out of the case once its stripped and the inner eye/divider section should just drop out and you can paint it any way you like. Be aware though that the lettering is on the crystal not the inner piece so if you choose the "wrong" colour it'll be next to impossible to read if that matters to you.

At least that's how it is on the watch shown. Also for dying nylon it helps to add some vinegar to the dye before you simmer you watch in it. (Acid dyes are what you want which are also used for Silk.)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's the same layout, though a different casing, I have a DW9000 with this layout and having just dug it out I have noticed that the white/silver part is a slate grey and the words are picked out in part in blue so a feel a swap coming on :-!
I had already noticed that the 'words' were on the crystal but I wanted something a little darker than the 'stock' part, though I will see if I can move the bits about, I have never really liked the DW9000 due mainly to the colour in person...it does owe me a bit as I replaced the strap on it so perhaps that one will get a deep blue dye treatment to more match the strap

·
Registered
289 Posts
I knew the case and bezel would be different. But its the same display and likely the module too. The watch in the photo is a DW-003S G-LIDE. Its inner part is all silver.

Another thing I like to consider is doing it a coloured hydro like the red one posted here... That would change it up

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hydro ??? Mmm one thing at a time though.
I have seen a couple of those 'hydro'ed' G's but to be honest the pictures don't really give enough information on the 'how to do it', well at least not with the few that I have seen.
Taking a watch apart is one thing but injecting a fluid inside and just saying, 'to put it in' is not really enough info.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm thinking about trying it maybe... The fluid is Silicone oil. and it has to be basically pure to prevent conductivity..

Reading the various posts, people have used everything from light weight to very heavy, like more than 1000 weight... Just depends on how "runny" you want it and how fast you want the bubble to move.

I'm thinking based on accounts that something in the 80-100wt is probably about right for me at least. I'm unsure about colours though. And I'd think it'd be best to use a solar watch so its unlikely to need opening often, again that's in my view...

I agree though, it'd bee good to see how the experts do it and get just the right size bubble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts