WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've spent quite a bit of time trying to find a watch with similar technology to watches like the Casio Oceanus, but in a form factor that works for me. Last year I looked for a watch like that while also looking at automatics. I decided to get my first automatic instead, picked up a Seiko DressKX with the blue dial and found out mechanical watches aren't my thing. Now I'm hunting for that watch again. There are a few watches that have caught my attention. What hit me in my search is that there seem to be a lot of options I've never seen before and I would never have considered if I hadn't clicked on dozens of random threads and then searched for the model numbers here on Watchuseek to see what else was recommended.

I might have found my finalists - worth seeing what else is out there.

What I'm looking for:
  • Quartz or solar movement
  • Stainless or titanium, on a bracelet
  • Diameter 38-40mm
  • Lug to lug max = 48mm (more important than diameter)
  • Blue dial is preferable, may consider white - bonus points for sunburst or textured dials
  • Lume on hands and on/at hour markers
  • Aiming to keep it under $500

I'm fascinated by things like atomic radio timekeeping, a perpetual calendar, being able to adjust time by time zone. Love technological advances I'm seeing in watches like the ones I'm looking at. These advances have caught my attention the way a lot of others probably feel about mechanical movements.

What I'm already considering - would love feedback if you have any of these!

Citizen CB1070-56L

Citizen CB1120-50L

Since someone is bound to ask why I'm not considering the Casio Oceanus - I wish you could get the T200 in the size of the S100, both are a no go in my book.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Carnival Tritium Casio WV-57H Casio WVA-M630B Timex Expedition
3,359 Posts
I suggest looking at the Casio Lineage models. Solar, atomic, some are titanium with a sapphire crystal. They are JDM models, Amazon has a few models but more models and better prices are available on eBay. Ship from Japan. Here’s a recent forum thread:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a Citizen CB1090 in blue that I love. Great size at 39mm, Eco-Drive, perpetual calendar, sapphire, easy time zone switch. I'd love a Chronomaster some day, but with the radio sync this is just as accurate. It's my goto travel watch -- at least when I can travel again.

Really only lume on the hands, but it lasts a good long time.

Also, standard lugs if you want to swap straps.

Reactions: jvaudreuil

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suggest looking at the Casio Lineage models. Solar, atomic, some are titanium with a sapphire crystal. They are JDM models, Amazon has a few models but more models and better prices are available on eBay. Ship from Japan. Here’s a recent forum thread:

Cool, I knew of the Lineage lineup but never dug into it before. Curious, do you know if there are any models without the digital display?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Citizen CB1090 in blue that I love. Great size at 39mm, Eco-Drive, perpetual calendar, sapphire, easy time zone switch. I'd love a Chronomaster some day, but with the radio sync this is just as accurate. It's my goto travel watch -- at least when I can travel again.

Really only lume on the hands, but it lasts a good long time.

Also, standard lugs if you want to swap straps.

One more to the list to consider - thanks!

Because I can't get my hands on any of these JDM models and have to rely on photos and videos - how would you describe the dial? Especially the shade of blue and how it changes in the light.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Recently I've spent quite a bit of time trying to find a watch with similar technology to watches like the Casio Oceanus, but in a form factor that works for me. Last year I looked for a watch like that while also looking at automatics. I decided to get my first automatic instead, picked up a Seiko DressKX with the blue dial and found out mechanical watches aren't my thing. Now I'm hunting for that watch again. There are a few watches that have caught my attention. What hit me in my search is that there seem to be a lot of options I've never seen before and I would never have considered if I hadn't clicked on dozens of random threads and then searched for the model numbers here on Watchuseek to see what else was recommended.

What I'm looking for:
  • Diameter 38-40mm
  • Blue dial is preferable, may consider white - bonus points for sunburst or textured dials

I'm fascinated by things like atomic radio timekeeping, a perpetual calendar, being able to adjust time by time zone. Love technological advances I'm seeing in watches like the ones I'm looking at. These advances have caught my attention the way a lot of others probably feel about mechanical movements.

Citizen CB1070-56L

Citizen CB1120-50L

Since someone is bound to ask why I'm not considering the Casio Oceanus - I wish you could get the T200 in the size of the S100, both are a no go in my book.

Thanks!
I went through a similar search. There is nothing identical really as far as looks go. I came close to pulling the cord on the citizen atessa a few times. I wear watches 38-44 and the oceanus is right in the middle. It feels like a pretty average size watch. Yes it's a touch bigger than 40 but it does not wear big, I feel it wears closer to 40. You won't be disappointed with the oceanus.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a comparison of the Oceanus S100 and T200 here. Citizen Attesa line is worth looking into, possibly the Casio Lineages too? The Lineages are much less premium however. I have a comparison of two here. There might be a Citizen Eco-Drive with those specs but I doubt it, they tend to be bigger. The Longines Conquest comes to mind too, comes in regular quartz and a more expensive VHP.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a comparison of the Oceanus S100 and T200 here. Citizen Attesa line is worth looking into, possibly the Casio Lineages too? The Lineages are much less premium however. I have a comparison of two here. There might be a Citizen Eco-Drive with those specs but I doubt it, they tend to be bigger. The Longines Conquest comes to mind too, comes in regular quartz and a more expensive VHP.
Thanks for the comparisons! I'm more intrigued by the Casio Lineage lineup from everyone's recommendations, definitely looking into them now. The Oceanus won't work for me - love the T200 looks but the lug-to-lug is likely a size I won't find comfortable, and since I can't try it in person it's a no-go. I did have the Longines Conquests on the list to check out at some point, especially since they have a 39mm size, good to see another nod in their direction.

·
Premium Member
71,371 Posts
Thanks for the comparisons! I'm more intrigued by the Casio Lineage lineup from everyone's recommendations, definitely looking into them now. The Oceanus won't work for me - love the T200 looks but the lug-to-lug is likely a size I won't find comfortable, and since I can't try it in person it's a no-go. I did have the Longines Conquests on the list to check out at some point, especially since they have a 39mm size, good to see another nod in their direction.
Pity that the S100 is a no no for you as it’s a lovely watch.

·
Registered
77 Posts

What I'm looking for:
  • Diameter 38-40mm

Citizen CB1070-56L

Citizen CB1120-50L

Thanks!
I think you should definitely look at the Attesa line. I’m not sure about the current lineup, but I’m picked this one up off the WUS for sale forum a couple of years ago.

It’s a 40mm case without the crown. Not sure how you measure lug to lug, but I’m getting about 41.5mm spring bar to spring bar and 45mm tip to tip.

I’m very sensitive to watch size, commonly wearing 34-36mm cases. I had honestly forgotten that this was 40mm. It wears much smaller.

Its thin, light with the titanium case, and Eco-drive. It’s radio updated, but JDM, so only picks up Japanese signals. I use the Clock Wave app to update the time and the GMT function to do hour adjustments.

You mentioned colors. The same seller (ziptie) sold a white faced watch on a bracelet from the same series a few months later. I just about pulled the trigger on that. If you can find it in the sales forums, I think it would absolutely fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry, meant to add a totally lousy lume shot. Not sure by my phone wouldn’t play along, but the lume is really functional.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you should definitely look at the Attesa line. I’m not sure about the current lineup, but I’m picked this one up off the WUS for sale forum a couple of years ago.

It’s a 40mm case without the crown. Not sure how you measure lug to lug, but I’m getting about 41.5mm spring bar to spring bar and 45mm tip to tip.

I’m very sensitive to watch size, commonly wearing 34-36mm cases. I had honestly forgotten that this was 40mm. It wears much smaller.

Its thin, light with the titanium case, and Eco-drive. It’s radio updated, but JDM, so only picks up Japanese signals. I use the Clock Wave app to update the time and the GMT function to do hour adjustments.

You mentioned colors. The same seller (ziptie) sold a white faced watch on a bracelet from the same series a few months later. I just about pulled the trigger on that. If you can find it in the sales forums, I think it would absolutely fit the bill.

This is helpful, thank you. I'm still leaning towards one of the Citizen models I posted, or something similar, and they're all part of the Attesa lineup.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

Thanks for the shout out! I’ve bought and regretfully sold a number of Attesa models, as they mostly run too small for my 21cm wrist.

The modern ones like the CB1070 are wonderful tech, light and clean and flawless. Mine was a (too small) dream. I suspect there are videos on YouTube that will show the lighting effect on the face. Pretty sure that was an H128 movement, so searching for that might turn up some options.

The older Attesa models are all over Yahoo Auctions Japan in all sorts of cool styles. Check out the Exceed line too. I use buyee.jp to buy and have never had a problem. Ebay is a decent source for new models too.

If you’re interested in a field watch, the PMD56-2951 and 2952 models are outstanding. Only in green or black, and Japan-only radio sync, but bulletproof and every bit the Oceanus’ equal.

I’ve moved on to 42-44mm watches from those above. My current favorite movement is the Citizen H145, which powers my assorted CB0171 and 0177 models. It’s another world time radio controlled solar antimag etc etc movement. Fantastic tech.

I do have a lovely LE green dial CB0120 in titanium that uses the H145 that I need to sell, but it’s 42.5mm. L2L is about 47mm.

Good luck! Seems like you’ve got a few good directions to check out!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
For blue, I just flipped this CB0160. Glorious dial, but also on the larger end of your diameter. Steel, H145 movement, easy to find, and affordable. Great watch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks ZipTie, I've read a number of your reviews in my search and they've been helpful. I wish I had a larger wrist, if I did I'd be hunting down a cb0170/1, I prefer that style over the current 40mm citizen field watches. That search will come another time!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts