WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Forerunner 225 has finally crapped out. It runs but can't connect to satellites, won't update and refuses to let me set the clock until it has a GPS position locked. Which it can't. Sigh.

So time for something new. I'm a simple dude. I couldn't care less about logging data, inter-platform connectivity, sleep and blood pressure stats or any of that jazz. All I need is something with a reliable GPS connection to track my running distance and a regular time display so I don't have to wear my regular watch when I'm at the gym. Water resistance would be great, but not a dealbreaker.

Would a fitness tracker be enough? I've never owned one, but I was under the impression they basically log and send body data to your phone and can't really be used without it? Do they have a timer function or is it all just day-by-day logs?

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,196 Posts
My Forerunner 225 has finally crapped out. It runs but can't connect to satellites, won't update and refuses to let me set the clock until it has a GPS position locked. Which it can't. Sigh.

So time for something new. I'm a simple dude. I couldn't care less about logging data, inter-platform connectivity, sleep and blood pressure stats or any of that jazz. All I need is something with a reliable GPS connection to track my running distance and a regular time display so I don't have to wear my regular watch when I'm at the gym. Water resistance would be great, but not a dealbreaker.

Would a fitness tracker be enough? I've never owned one, but I was under the impression they basically log and send body data to your phone and can't really be used without it? Do they have a timer function or is it all just day-by-day logs?
Probably it will. But not all come close to Garmin when it comes to sports.
Any GPS equipped fitness tracker/smartwatch will do it though. You can get Fossil Gen6 for as little as 80$ now (used).
I used to run with Timex GPS watch and it did what you asking for. But this genre is all but gone.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
25,070 Posts
Did you upload your 225's data to Garmin Connect, or did you always use it as a standalone gadget?

When you mentioned a simpler (or lighter?) tracker, I thought of Fitbit right away. Their Charge 5 has built-in GPS for logging distance.

But like Rocket1991 said, the genre of the standalone fitness watch has shrunk dramatically. For the user, it's easier to manage and view training records on their phone. Even Polar has gotten into the syncs-with-an-app game.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never uploaded anything, I would simply use it as a run tracker and manually log any data I needed into a spreadsheet (which predates me owning a GPS watch, which is why I've stuck to it).

Running and lifting has become my away-time from screens, which is why I need something that can operate without a phone. Since posting this thread I found out Huawei has a dirt cheap band that offers built-in GPS. Guess I'll spring for that.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,196 Posts
I never uploaded anything, I would simply use it as a run tracker and manually log any data I needed into a spreadsheet (which predates me owning a GPS watch, which is why I've stuck to it).

Running and lifting has become my away-time from screens, which is why I need something that can operate without a phone. Since posting this thread I found out Huawei has a dirt cheap band that offers built-in GPS. Guess I'll spring for that.
May be you need to reset it to make it work. On board memory is not limitless and once in a while updating soft really helps. Connect it to service and update software as step 1.
You may not need new watch.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Since posting this thread I found out Huawei has a dirt cheap band that offers built-in GPS. Guess I'll spring for that.
Huawei make good hardware and I was always completely satisfied with their software. Unfortunately they've lost the play store connection so not interesting any more for me, but that wouldn't bother you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
For future reference, in case anyone stumble upon this thread (and because I couldn't find any reliable answer to this online): Bought the Huawei band. You do need to install the app (Huawei Health) and connect the band to your phone to start it up. And the app does want access to an awful lot of information on your phone. But once the band is up and running, the app can be uninstalled and the GPS can be used on its own.

EDIT: Well, kinda sorta. Can be used on its own but doesn't have any reliable way of reading data once you finish your run. You still need the app for that. But you can disable most extra features of the band and deny the app most of the permissions it asks for.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,196 Posts
For future reference, in case anyone stumble upon this thread (and because I couldn't find any reliable answer to this online): Bought the Huawei band. You do need to install the app (Huawei Health) and connect the band to your phone to start it up. And the app does want access to an awful lot of information on your phone. But once the band is up and running, the app can be uninstalled and the GPS can be used on its own.
It works like this in all of them. Some "bands" actually don't have built in GPS and rely on the phone GPS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts