WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear everybody,

I am looking for the perfect watch to give to my husband to celebrate the birth of our first child. He is a watch-enthousiast but hasn't really started a collection yet. He always mentions the Breitling Navitimer when we discuss watches. I have done some "research" on my own and came across a few previous-owned Navitimers that are in my price-range (around 3000 euro). But now I am having some doubts wether this is a decent watch to give to someone who wants to start a watch collection? Is a Breitling considered a decent watch or is it overpriced for the watch you get?

Another choice would be the Omega Speedmaster.

Please give your advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I have no experience with the watches you mention, but I do have experience with two young children.

I would recommend something on a metal bracelet with water resistance of at least 50 meters (5 Bar). 100 meters (10 Bar) or more is preferable. Babies are messy and a watch that can be gently cleaned in the sink is a lifesaver.

I like the ideas you have, as both are chronographs (they have a "stopwatch" function). Something that can count multiple hours of elapsed time is extremely useful to a new father, in my experience.

If he mentions the Navitimer, that might be a good place to start. Perhaps others can give you similarly styled watches in the same price range. If all else fails, you can take him to the nearest AD (Authorized Dealer) and let him be a kid in a candy store with the budgeted amount.

Congratulations on this exciting time!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Congratulations! The Breitling Navitimer is an iconic watch, so your choice is really a no-brainer. If that's the one he wants, get it.

One small suggestion: do an equal amount of research on the seller as you did on the watch.

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
Go with a new watch so you can avoid any service problems and your husband can start a new history with the watch. It will mean that much more when he passes it down to your child about 50 years from now.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everybody, for your response.
Of course I would like to buy him a new watch, but my budget wouldn't allow it to be the Breitling Navitimer. It would have to be a different one. When my husband mentioned buying a watch like this, he always had the intention of buying a previous-owned one.
What is your opinion on buying previous-owned watches from the website 'watchuseek'?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I think the Navitimer or the Speedmaster Pro (emphasis on Pro) would both be great watches for your intended use. You are indeed a perceptive and generous wife.

Most sellers on this sight are legit, in fact most sellers on the larger enthusiast sites are legit. But some flakes always seem to crawl in under the door. Look for someone with lots of posts - a guy/gal with 2000= plus posts is likely concerned about his reputation more than one fast sale before moving on. Also, ask for names of previous sales on the board and check them (not some email address that may be him).

Stay away from ebay. Far away.

Congrats on the new family member - remember, God made them so cute as babies so that you wouldn't kick them out 25 years later.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Depending on his taste in watches and wrist size, Sinn 903 is similar in looks to the Navitimer but I'd personally prefer the 900 or the 956. I also suggest looking at Nomos Club Automatic Dunkel Datum (41.5mm) or Zenith Espanda (smaller at 40mm). Nomos Club comes in several configurations but the beautifully decorated in house automatic movement is around your budget. I don't really like the strap on Nomos but that can easily be fixed by getting after market straps.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Congrats on the new edition. I think a commemorative gift is a great idea and hopefully he'll do the same to you. Of the two choices, I'd pick the Speedmaster Professional. You might be able to find it new (grey market) around your budget. I'll just reiterate what's been said before, that if you buy used, you are first buying the seller, then the watch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again. I hadn't heard of Sinn but I really like these watches as well.
Previously I mentioned the website 'watchuseek' (which is this site, duh) but meant to say 'chrono24'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have considered this but the 'problem' with my husband is that he will want tot buy an even better watch than the budget allows, by paying some of it himself. Or it will take him months of research and doubt before he will be able tot choose because he will want to get the most out of his present/money. When I give him a watch, he won't be able to choose, except if he returns it and exchanges it for what he thinks is a better choice. (Yes that has happened before). So I have to choose a watch that he loves without telling him how much I paid for it, so he doesn't go around looking for a better deal or a different watch, with the same budget, that he likes more.
I guess this is how men feel when they buy an engagement ring?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have considered this but the 'problem' with my husband is that he will want tot buy an even better watch than the budget allows, by paying some of it himself. Or it will take him months of research and doubt before he will be able tot choose because he will want to get the most out of his present/money. When I give him a watch, he won't be able to choose, except if he returns it and exchanges it for what he thinks is a better choice. (Yes that has happened before). So I have to choose a watch that he loves without telling him how much I paid for it, so he doesn't go around looking for a better deal or a different watch, with the same budget, that he likes more.
I guess this is how men feel when they buy an engagement ring?
For 3000 euro that's quite a big choice. If I could give my 5 cents worth I think you could look at a pre owned market and for a gift to your hubby nothing beats a reputable name and a brand that goes a long way and can pass on for years, a rolex. A pre owned submariner, explorer 2 or datejust could be what you're looking at within that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Thanks again. I hadn't heard of Sinn but I really like these watches as well.
Previously I mentioned the website 'watchuseek' (which is this site, duh) but meant to say 'chrono24'.
The SINN I believe is smaller in size than the contemporary Breitling Navitimer. So you may want to confirm whether he likes bigger or smaller watches. I think the Brietling Navitimer sizes range from 42mm to 48mm and they look rather similar in the photo. Some Navitimer have in house movements (I believe are the B01 and B02) but the majority of the models use outsourced movements and the prices usually reflect that. There are many to choose from for your budget such as Ball watches, Oris Altimeter etc.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You are taking a look at two of the most storied and iconic chronographs in the world. So good choices.

As you mentioned the Navitimer is a bit pricey. While there are a plethora of variations and Navitimer models, the one you want is the Navitimer 01. This watch houses Breitling's excellent B01 movement. It is the most classic Navitimer. New, they run about 9000 USD. Used, about 5000 USD. If this is just outside of your range, an Omega Speedmaster Professional is a great choice. Do not for one second believe it is an inferior watch. They are both fantastic.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
An Omega Aqua Terra would be a great all around wear to begin a collection or in a one watch scenario...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts