WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I really like the design of those russian diving-watches, but I don't want an automatic. Are there "Quarz-Homages" or similiar ones?

Here are some pics...I think you get the point regarding the design:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Vostok does make quartz models (search: Vostok Komandirskie quartz) but I don't like them as much as the autos. If you really want the look, you have to embrace it warts and all. Honestly, the aggravation of a non-quick date auto is nothing compared to how bad the OEM bracelets are haha! My Zissou says hi.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I've been eyeing those replacement cases on Ebay and wondering what a cool project it would be to have a quartz Amphibia watch!
Meranom is always releasing special versions, it could come up with a Miyota 10 year battery movement (hey, if you're listening ;-) )

·
Banned
936 Posts
I have a similar requirement. I find automatic/mechanical watches absolutely impractical and delicate.
I bought an HMT track (quartz) which looked like a Vostok from a distance. I use it now as my modding watch.

The original version

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

My modded version

Reactions: Zzyzx

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I've been eyeing those replacement cases on Ebay and wondering what a cool project it would be to have a quartz Amphibia watch!
Meranom is always releasing special versions, it could come up with a Miyota 10 year battery movement (hey, if you're listening ;-) )
10 year quartz Amphibia? I'd buy it in a heartbeat... mine just stopped, probably due some dirt in the movement or some loosened screw.

·
Registered
880 Posts
10 year quartz Amphibia? I'd buy it in a heartbeat... mine just stopped, probably due some dirt in the movement or some loosened screw.
Liked that. Not out of malicious delight, of course, but out of sympathy. (Recently my Амфибия spontaneously halted, and miraculously started running again, after some unintended 'shock therapy'.)

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Liked that. Not out of malicious delight, of course, but out of sympathy. (Recently my Амфибия spontaneously halted, and miraculously started running again, after some unintended 'shock therapy'.)
It's not an uncommon thing... Vostok movements are hit and miss, especially newer ones. ;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I now have a beloved Bulova quartz that used to keep great time before it leaked after a battery change—which has stopped for 30 seconds two days in a row. I have ordered 5 Vostok Amphibias because the leaking has driven me mad and hasn't been fixed by multiple watch makers in Mexico.

Well, quartz Vostok is an interesting mod idea. The Miyota quartz movements are super cheap. You will need hands that fit the movement, crown to fit the movement, some sort of spacer to hold the movement, and a way to attach the dial to the movement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm very interested in this. Why is it so hard to find a simple military watch that actually can take an active lifestyle (AKA a beating)?
Yeah, there are the G-Shocks, but quite frankly I don't like digital watches. And the analog G-Shocks are just ridiculous.
The Vostoks (Amphibia an Komandirskie) have that amazing, simple military look and feel. Such a shame that they aren't that tough.
It's 2019 for funk's sake. There are watches with GPS. How is it possible that we still don't have reliable analog watches.

Please let us know if you manage to mod a Vostok to allow a quartz movement. That'd be very interesting.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I'm very interested in this. Why is it so hard to find a simple military watch that actually can take an active lifestyle (AKA a beating)?
Yeah, there are the G-Shocks, but quite frankly I don't like digital watches. And the analog G-Shocks are just ridiculous.
The Vostoks (Amphibia an Komandirskie) have that amazing, simple military look and feel. Such a shame that they aren't that tough.
It's 2019 for funk's sake. There are watches with GPS. How is it possible that we still don't have reliable analog watches.

Please let us know if you manage to mod a Vostok to allow a quartz movement. That'd be very interesting.
There are piles of basic, military style watches with quartz movements. One of my favorites is the Precista PRS-10 but others offer similar models, Marathon, Bertucci, Bulova, etc.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I can understand the view that autos aren't the most convenient to own but the question of toughness is a different animal.
I've several Vostok & they are super tough watches easily capable of matching watches costing x100 in that regard.
Prefer Vostok to stay auto/manual myself,it's part of their appeal.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts

Have you owned a Vostok?!? They are tough as nails bro. Anything you go about in your lifestyle, they are up for. Yes, a G-Shock will survive being run over by a steam roller better than a scuba dude, but outside of that, Vostoks are stupid tough and reliable(when purchased through the proper channels I.E. Meranom).

I read on here about a guy who bought a Vostok in Russia after watching the salesmen literally hammer nails into a board using an Amphibia. What kind of lifestyle are you living?!?
Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts