WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a very hard time deciding between a couple of IWC/JLC offerings. My wrist is ~6.5'' (which I presume is on the smaller end and a bit boney). I very rarely if at all dress up in a suit, I almost always wear jeans, a dress shirt, and a nice sweater on top (so a bit dressy but def not very formal and often casual) I'm also in mid twenties. Aesthetics are probably my top priority, I want an elegant stunner. Some of the watches I have been considering are:

IWC IW371446 Portuguese Chrono in blue (picture) - looks pretty good and I came across it when I couldn't seem to find the above Laureus anywhere for purchase :(
IWC IW500107 Portuguese Automatic in blue (picture) - looks better than the above, but is also nearly twice as expensive and even more expensive than the JLCs I like...I would need a good reason for this one!
IWC IW391019 Laureus Chrono in all blue (picture) - I fell in love with this piece but I can't even seem to find it anywhere so I have not had a chance to even try it. How does this one compare? I really really like it.
JLC 1538420 Master Chrono in SS black leather (picture) - Goregeous, very dressy.
JLC 1418430 Master Memovox in SS black leather (picture) - At the moment I am ever so slightly more drawn to the master chrono but the simplicity in the dial makes it stand out to me a lot.

I'd love to see some opinions for this! It's a grueling decision..

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have this iwc and it is a real stand out watch. I have no preference over iwc or jlc and hope to own a jlc soon. Of the watches you have looked at, if you can stretch to it, I would go for the iwc port auto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have this iwc and it is a real stand out watch. I have no preference over iwc or jlc and hope to own a jlc soon. Of the watches you have looked at, if you can stretch to it, I would go for the iwc port auto.

That looks beautiful. Would you say you have a big wrist? Also, what do you usually wear it with? What are your thoughts on their laureus edition portofino? Sorry for the bombardment - you have an amazing watch I just didnt include initially because it's a hard budget stretch..

·
Registered
118 Posts
That looks beautiful. Would you say you have a big wrist? Also, what do you usually wear it with? What are your thoughts on their laureus edition portofino? Sorry for the bombardment - you have an amazing watch I just didnt include initially because it's a hard budget stretch..
Thanks, no problem with the questions! My wrist is c. 7' (watch is c. 42mm) and I wear this watch with anything really. It obviously lends itself to formal/smart occassions but it is also fine accompanying casual wear. I probably wouldnt garden with it on though ;-)

I love the look of the portofino laureaus, in fact i love all of the laureus editions as I am sucker for blue. It is also nice having the red accents in a couple of places on the dial. You should check out the vintage ingineur (think i spelt that right?!) laureus as that is a stunner.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You really can't go wrong with any of those watches, pretty tough choice... I really like the JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon 39... 154776.jpg

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Every model I'd suggest in that market has been suggested already, so may I make an "out of the box suggestion?"

I personally am contemplating a watch for "nice-casual" settings, as you have described, and have found myself looking at the Dornbleuth & Sohn Calibre 99.0. It costs quite a bit less than most of what you're looking for, at $4,080 new.

I'm still in high school, and wont be able to afford one for a while, but when I have the money for a watch like that it'll be one of my top considerations.

Here are some pics:

dornblueth990steelsilverfront_340_detail.jpg

dornblueth990steelsilverback_724_detail.jpg

I think that that watch would look great with jeans, and dress shirts, which is primarily what I'd wear it with if I owned it.

I realize this is an out of the box suggestion given your price range, but I think it looks great... Those JLCs are great. Just though I'd throw this out there. Hand made in house German movement, father son company.

Good luck with your decision,
Max

PS- Check out more of the Dornblueth & Sohn lineup here: Dornblueth & Sohn Watches From WatchBuys - WatchBuys

·
Registered
94 Posts
Personally I would go for the JLC 1538420 Master Chrono in SS black leather. But they are all nice watches. You can't make a wrong dicision!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Just a heads up, Dornbluth & Sohn ain't from Glashutte.

They are from Kalbe.

Every model I'd suggest in that market has been suggested already, so may I make an "out of the box suggestion?"

I personally am contemplating a watch for "nice-casual" settings, as you have described, and have found myself looking at the Dornbleuth & Sohn Calibre 99.0. It costs quite a bit less than most of what you're looking for, at $4,080 new.

I'm still in high school, and wont be able to afford one for a while, but when I have the money for a watch like that it'll be one of my top considerations.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 861742

View attachment 861745

I think that that watch would look great with jeans, and dress shirts, which is primarily what I'd wear it with if I owned it.

I realize this is an out of the box suggestion given your price range, but I think it looks great... Those JLCs are great. Just though I'd throw this out there. Hand made in house German Glashutte movement, father son company.

Good luck with your decision,
Max

PS- Check out more of the Dornblueth & Sohn lineup here: Dornblueth & Sohn Watches From WatchBuys - WatchBuys

·
Registered
881 Posts
Much as I enjoy many IWC designs, IMHO JLC is in a different league. For cultured elegance, history, movement design and presentation it's really, really hard to go past JLC, unless you are ready to spend $20k or more ( and even then you may struggle). I like the JLC designs you've short listed, but don't ignore the beautiful 39mm moon posted earlier in the thread. To me it is the perfect blend of simplicity and elegance, with a lovely complication that sustains visual interest.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Dornbluth is a good call...Have a look at Nomos as well

To your question, I would go JLC over IWC.... I love IWC, but they are and wear very large. I have a wrist size just under 7" and I can' t find an IWC that looks right on me, otherwise I'd have one by now. JLC is also a level up in my view, along with Zenith, they are a high end brand in a mid tier price point

·
Registered
388 Posts
i REALLY want to say JLC but that first IWC is pretty clean.

·
Premium Member
21,706 Posts
I would go with any of the three JLCs mentioned, the Master Chrono, Memovox, or Ultra Thin Moon. They are my favorite round cased JLCs in that price range, and any of them are far better watches than anything in IWC's collection.

This is particularly for those with a all wrist, since all of IWC's in-house movements are based on pocket watch movements, and as such only appear in watches 44mm or larger.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would go with any of the three JLCs mentioned, the Master Chrono, Memovox, or Ultra Thin Moon. They are my favorite round cased JLCs in that price range, and any of them are far better watches than anything in IWC's collection.

This is particularly for those with a all wrist, since all of IWC's in-house movements are based on pocket watch movements, and as such only appear in watches 44mm or larger.
+1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts