WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning to get my first G-Shock and I have a couple of questions regarding Negative Display/Reverse LCD.

1) Is Negative Display the same thing as Reverse LCD?
2) I've noticed some mods regarding stealthing G-Shocks using polarizing film and I was wondering are the mods model specific or can you use polarizing film to Reverse LCD any plain digital watch?
3) When using the light (EL) with a Negative Display and/or Reverse LCD, do only the number show up with the EL?+

Thanks,
Jinx

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hi,
1) Yes.
2) you could use it on any digital watch
3) only the digits light up
However: there are also mirror displays and on some of those the digits light up on a normal display and the background lights up on the negative ones. And there are also positive displays where the digits light up like on some Protreks/Pathfinders - so the above answers are rather "rules of thumb". Technically every combination is possible: negative display with digits lighting up, negative display with background lighting up, positive display with digits lighting up, positive display with background lighting up.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Technically every combination is possible: negative display with digits lighting up, negative display with background lighting up, positive display with digits lighting up, positive display with background lighting up...
...and if the battery is empty, nothing lights up...

sorry, couldn't resist

cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one more question, I've read somewhere that states that solar powered G-shocks tend to have dimmer EL, is that true?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I dont know about has to have a dimmer display but the ones I have seam to be less bright than my non solar. If this is going to be your main watch I would advise you to check out the reverse display in person before getting one. The newer ones are much better than the old ones. The old reverse displays are hard to read except in sunlight. I got rid of all my old reverse displays and I had black, red and gold. I was wearing my GA100 stealth analog / digital today and it the reverse display is easy to read in the daylight but it gets harder in shadows.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
The only really good negative display is on the G-7800B-1 or G-7710-1. I was disappointed by the GX-56 (still will get one though) or GWX-5600 - they don't seem to be any better then the old ones. On the older modules the numbers were extra thick on the negative displays to make the contrast better - on the newer ones the digits are the same no matter if positive or negative.
Some examples:
G-7800B-1

G-7710-1 in really low light - still visibility is pretty good:

DW-5600MS

And a group shot of some more negative display G-Shocks:

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Banned
14 Posts
From my experience, this is true on all models now produced. The Raysman seems to be the only exception, or at least the only exception I have encountered. To generate massive voltages for the EL, a lot of power is used, so on the solars, it makes sense that they lower the brightness, and hence the power they need to generate it. All of my current solars, with the exception of the Raysmans, are less bright than my battery powered watches, so I would say that the premise is true. Personally, I avoid negative displays like the plague, as they are useless in most lighting situations other than direct sunlight.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Perhaps, from the perspective of complete knowledge, that would be true, though as humans of a presumably limited budget, none of us possess that knowledge without owning every single model. I was speaking, of course, from my own experience with them, and in that respect, all of them were worthless without direct sunlight. If you know of of some that are not, no doubt having had more patience with the fad than myself, you could perhaps make your response more useful to those considering such acquisitions by posting a list of suitable models that you are aware of for the op's edification...

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
If you know of of some that are not, no doubt having had more patience with the fad than myself, you could perhaps make your response more useful to those considering such acquisitions by posting a list of suitable models that you are aware of for the op's edification...
it's already been mentioned in this thread by member Sedi: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/look...e-display-reverse-lcd-492881.html#post3615339

both watches are extremely well legible in almost any light condition, and represent a great example for a well done neg. display. this shot of my G-7710 was taken on a cloudy afternoon in a room without any further light sources and without digital enhancement:

this is as far as g-shock's go. there are a lot of other brands out there, which are equal or even superior to casio displays. my Tech4o Traileader Jet for instance, has THE most legible neg. display I have seen to date. as a rule of thumb I can say about this watch "if I can't read it under certain (low)light conditions anymore, I can't read a positive display either"

cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have no problems whatsoever reading the display on my M5600BC

Picture taken in a normally lit room with no flash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts