WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I went watch shopping with my boyfriend today and he bought me one but we couldn't find one for him that we could afford! Well I could afford to buy him.

I know he loves these watches:
TAG Heuer Formula 1 Gents Watch | Luxury Watches | Watches | Goldsmiths
TAG Heuer Formula 1 Calibre S Men's Watch MX0629 from Beaverbrooks the Jewellers

However without going into finance (which I can't do) I can't afford them!
I was wondering if there were any like these for a cheaper price more like the £150-£300 price range!

I would appreciate all the help you guys can give as I have no idea about watches and the most expensive on I own is £65! Plus Men and Lady watches to me are completely different!

Thanks in Advance!

·
Premium Member
68,073 Posts
Hi MrsTozer, have a look at the Tissot range and see if there's anything that floats your boat. The PRS200, PRC200 & V8 ranges spring to mind.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hi Mrs T

Victorinox is a great choice. I bought my first one recently and am really chuffed with it.

I'm new to this game but there are many around here who would recommend Orient. I hadn't heard of them a few weeks ago but have just taken delivery of my first one and I'm completely smitten. It cost my £90, build quality is fantastic and it's an automatic. If your BF is like most of us on here he will get a real kick out of an auto over a quartz and you can get something special from either brand within your price range.

Point to note: Orient do not have any authorised dealers in the UK, so it has to come in from overseas. I don't think I can mention commercial sites but if you google Orient you will quickly find an on line retailer you will know and that's where I got mine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sticky: Thank you, I do believe he was looking at the Tissot PRC 200 at one point and it is a gorgeous one! :D

NakedJohnny: Very nice watch, thank you. I can't seem to find the black face watch on any UK websites though annoyingly!

At the moment I have a £25 off voucher for H.Samuel, not the best shop I know but it could help towards the budget!

Again thank you guys :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Macdaz: Thank you for the response, am now hunting Orients and checking them out! I do believe he likes the auto over the quartz but some of the watches he's been looking at are quartz which is why I never stated which he would prefer ha.

Sounds good for now so I will keep looking! Thank you~!

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Definitely have a look at Tissot and Seiko. They're both priced about the same.
In general I think Tissot has better design, and Seiko has better construction.
If it's desk jobs I would definitely recommend Tissot, and for blue collar jobs I'd say Seiko.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Punkling & KLASSIF: Thank you for your replies, I am looking at both Tissot and Seiko, at the moment Tissot seem to be a bit out of my price range for the ones he's in love with, which I will be buying him one of them when I'm on more money, for now the cheaper ones are on option, the Tissot V8 and the PRC200 Tissot.

I've also found Seiko 5 Sports Auto Blue 200mt Compass Divers With Steel Bracelet SKZ209J1This one which I really like!

Thank you for your replies!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think this is all good advice. Any one of these brands will be a great choice, find one that you, and he, will like and you'll be fine...I'd still favour an auto though...it's a bloke thing!

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
Seiko looks NOTHING like a Tag, I mean I couldn't think of a watch that looks more dissimilar to a Tag than a Seiko.

That being said look for a used Tag, if your boyfriend likes a Tag chances are anything other than a Tag may be a disappointment to him. You can find plenty of used quartz Tags quite cheap.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
buying a watch for your significant other is a very tricky business,

if he likes the TAG because of the look only, then you might be able to get away with getting him something similar,

but if he like the TAG because it's a TAG Heuer (and the look) then get him a TAG, if price is an issue, a well maintained, properly cleaned up pre-owned TAG is a great option

like I said, buying a watch for your significant other (or friends) is very tricky business ... and I feel too many people are giving opinion based on what they like as oppose to what your boyfriend like

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So many people have replied :D Thank you all!! To the guys saying about difficulties in buying someone a watch, tell me about it that's why I came to you, ha! He would LOVE a Tag Heuer, Especially the ones I posted in my first post, however we spoke about it sensibly as we have a lot of other expenses, i.e. a home to pay for, and he agreed that for now those are out of my price range. So what I'm asking is if you guys know of anything similar or alternative. I've tried looking at pre-owned TAGS however I'm unsure of which websites are trust worthy with watches. I wouldn't want to spend all that money only to be fluffed! I found a few others, that I know he's been looking at and looking at reviews they all seem ok but what do you guys think? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tissot-PRC2...TF8&colid=1O407VQR4B2OY&coliid=I10D5IRRDZSWCA ORIENT deep MAKO Automatic professional Diver watch CEM65002D:Amazon.co.uk: Watches Orient Automatik "Deep" CEM65001BW-SLSafir + Box - Taucher - www.orientuhren.de Swiss Made C7SKK-MK2 C7 Rapide Chronograph MK II Watch from Christopher Ward Thanks again for all replies and suggestions!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hello there. It's wonderful what you are doing for your boyfriend and I'm sure he's most worthy of your affection too. Great to know that both of you are going about this sensibly and having fun. Despite what Mr. Dowling says in his earlier post I personally feel that you should be looking at the Seiko premier chronograph range which models are well within your budget. There are many different models to choose from and all represent excellent value for money. Seiko is a well respected company by most of us i.e. non brand snobs (probably tag heuer as well with reference to a certain "in house" movement and supply of parts;-)) and their products are very well made. I've included pics of an example with big date feature for ease of reference. The pics are borrowed from the web and the watch is not mine. Cheers. Happy shopping and good luck!

·
Registered
553 Posts
The CW c7 rapide is a lovely looking watch and probably the most TAG-like and the Orient is a great choice too. (I would say that wouldn't I?!). I think you've done a great job of narrowing the field and he will be delighted with either. It is now literally down to which one you, and he will like best. Whatever you decide, make sure you let us know!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
If he likes the Tag Formula Series have a look at the Victorinox Maverick line. My buddy wears a Maverick II and it looks fantastic in person. I'm usually wearing a watch that costs 4-5x as much while I'm admiring it...

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
Despite what Mr. Dowling says in his earlier post I personally feel that you should be looking at the Seiko premier chronograph range which models are well within your budget. There are many different models to choose from and all represent excellent value for money. Seiko is a well respected company by most of us i.e. non brand snobs (probably tag heuer as well with reference to a certain "in house" movement and supply of parts;-)) and their products are very well made.
That's great and all as long as you completely ignore the fact that the Seiko you recommend looks nothing like the Tag watches shown by the OP. There comes a time where brand loyalty should be set aside to help someone out. I'm no watch snob and Seiko's are fine watches, but not the watch for someone wanting a Tag.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts