WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Looking to buy my first Suunto - I have questions

5K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeff_C 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I posted something similar in the Digital/ABC subforum cause at the time I didn't even know that there was a dedicated Suunto subforum. I am hoping you can help guide me towards my first Suunto purchase. I have a few models I am looking at, and some questions about bands, size, etc.

I am looking into a Core, but really like the Elementum series as well (obviously price difference is huge)

I have been eyeing the negative face Black/Black strap Core model, but I am having a hard time pulling the trigger. The one thing that is really killing me is the depth of the case. It looks soo thick and clunky. I'm already pretty nerdy so a giant computer watch may not help me with the ladies.

Do any of you have any side profile images of this particular watch on your wrists?

Are ALL of the Suunto Core replacement bands compatible with ALL models of the Core? The older models with the "flat strap" appeal to me, but it seems as if the newer bands help to hide some of the thickness of the case.

For example:

Will this style band:
Suunto Core Altimeter Watch - Orange / Black

work with

This style Core case:
Suunto Core Wrist Watch: Black & Yellow - SS013315010

and vice-versa

There are soo many models and band styles that deciding on one is pretty overwhelming. I know that a few years back there were some minor issues with the core so are there any models I should totally avoid? Would it be pretty safe to bet that most of these models with QC issues are now off the market?

Next up, I have been browsing the forum looking at some of the custom bands that people have purchased/made. Do you have some sources/advice/etc. for finding a 3rd party watch band for the core?

The Elementum
I have noticed that many of these watches and their bands are out of stock. Are they being discontinued? Do they have QC issues? Or is the demand just really high leading to low stock?

Ok, that is enough questions for now. Sorry for the long post. Hope you all can help

See less See more
#3 ·
Here are two pics of a CORE similar to what you are interested in:

I don't find it wears like a thick watch at all.

Yes, all CORE straps can be put on any CORE watch. Here are a couple of pics of the Extreme Silver edition on an Aluminum bracelet:

There were some quality issues with the early COREs, mostly involving battery life. I think it is safe to say that all these are now out of the system. I would not hesitate to buy any current model CORE.

As you expressed an interest in a negative display CORE model, I would strongly suggest seeing one in person before buying one. Some folks, myself included, just cannot live with the low visibility of the negative display.

The Elementum is an enigma to me. It is undoubtedly a very well put together, quality piece, but with a limited feature set. What really put me off about the Elementum series is there is no way to display the time with seconds - only hour and minute. Weird for a digital watch ...

One last word. Suunto Customer Service is the best in the business. Do a little searching around and you will find many accounts of folks who have sent abused watches off for service and received back in a few days, and for a very modest service fee, a watch that looks as good as new or even a new watch.

Hope this answered your questions. Good luck with whatever you choose.

HTH

#4 ·
Great post by Gaijin- he is right on nearly every count and has done a great job reflecting the consensus of the board. In ins opinion of the Elementum, however, I tend to disagree. The Elementum is a GREAT watch. It displays a TON of information on the main display, and it's altimeter ascent and descent logs are the very best out there. It DOES have some strange shortcomings, and those have been creeping their way into the collective complaints on the board now that the newness of the watch has faded, but to people who wear Suuntos, the Elementum is still the exclusive watch to own. Personally, I have never noticed the lack of features- but admittedly, I really own the elementum because it looks so freaking cool, and when I head to the backcountry, I grab a less expensive, more fully featured Core.

Either way, the Core all black is a fantastic watch- one that has lured more to the Suunto brand than probably any other model. (And strangely, I don't own one....yet.) But you will find that once you buy your first, you cannot live with one Suunto, so in my opinion, get the Core. You will love it, and then in six months when you find that I am right, you can curse my name the day you put in your order for your Elementum- you won't be the first...

#6 ·
Very helpful information. Thanks everyone. Any advice on custom bands? The lug size is 24mm correct? Any other important details I should know? Any recommendations for where to purchase.

I appreciate the heads up on the negative faces. I like the look, but I've only seen them in stock photos. There aren't many places that carry the specific models I'm interested in near my location.

Thanks again all,

Aaron

#13 ·
I just pulled the trigger on a Suunto Elementum Ventus with Positive display and Gray Rubber band. I really like the white band better, but this Ventus was only $500. I purchased it from a trusted eBay seller with 100% feedback on over 400+ items. He had 3 of these and while I hesitated to buy a watch on ebay, I messaged the seller and asked some questions and finally built up enough confidence to spend that kind of money. The white rubber Ventus is on Amazon for $650, so this was a huge deal. He had a Buy it Now of $525, but there was a Make an Offer tab and I made a few lowball offers before trying $500 and having it accepted by the seller.

At first I was pretty skeptical, but he has a history of selling high end watches on eBay with positive feedback. For a NIB Ventus I don't think I could have found a better price.

Now I just want to find a white rubber band for it. Suuntowatches is sold out of all of them, and I can only find the black leather and black rubber bands online.

If I had asked about buying a Elementum on eBay i'm sure some of you would have advised against it since they aren't authorized resellers, but at this point there aren't many Ventus models in the primary market anyway. I guess i'm kind of a risk takerb-). The seller claims it is a NIB Suunto Elementum Ventus with positive display and Gray rubber band. He also confirmed this via personal communication. If the watch turns out to be anything but what he claimed it is in the listing, PayPal/eBay will have my back.

I will keep everyone updated and show some photos when it arrives. If anyone else is interested the seller has one more Ventus left at this price. If anyone knows where to find the brown leather or white rubber ventus bands let me know.

#15 ·
It's HERE! I love it. Just as the eBay seller said, it is brand new in the box. I had my doubts at the low price ($500), but it is brand new as the seller promised. I just got the basics down (time and date set), learned to activate the light, etc. Anyone want to tell me about this "secret" menu that everyone talks about? Can anyone explain how to use the barrometer/altimeter?

Just want to say thanks to everyone who replied and helped guide me towards my first Suunto purchase. I am new to the forum and the Suunto brand so it was nice to be welcomed by everyone.

Here's a few pics. I will add more in a new thread.

Thanks again everyone,

Aaron

#16 ·
This watch doesn't have an Alti. Its a sailing watch. So compass and Baro. Not much use for an altimeter on the high seas.

There is really no need to get into any kind of a hidden menu. Some may use it to adjust contrast, but + display watches wouldn't need that.

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks Jeff. Like I said before purchasing, my need for these features is very limited. I really bought it because it looks great and it is a good combo between sporty and high-end. I will use the compass with some frequency on backpacking trips, but for the most part the baro and compass are just added bonuses to a great watch.

#18 ·
By the way, one thing i like about my Ventus is that the baro screen has those lines..... If the baro trend is dropping steeper than the lines, its a good indicator of foul weather. Or at least a significant pressure change. Kind of a neat idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.