WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Hi,

"worth the price" is very different from person to person.
For example for me they are boringly clean and overpolished

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't mean that in a general sense.... Let me rephrase. If one was in the market for this specific model would this be a fair price to pay for it's condition?
Hi,

"worth the price" is very different from person to person.
For example for me they are boringly clean and overpolished

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Monitor eBay completed listings for the answer to that... the market knows!

Reactions: bobbee

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
excellent-ly marketed.
amazing-ly overpriced.
In both cases.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
In general, I myself am always suspicious of watches on offer from South America. I have no bone to pick with South America or its people, none at all; however, the sad truth is that many of the offerings from that region are suspicious in some way.

First of all, I believe both examples are priced at the higher end of the market. They've been highly polished, which is appealing to a first-time buyer, but less so to a collector and you're on a forum full of collectors, so you ought to expect them to be grumpy about the shiny cases. Why does it matter? I can't speak for all here, but on observation of stated opinions, I'm guessing that it's because it's unnatural looking; a 50 year old vintage watch would show some evidence of use. That both these are polished to the same high degree points to deliberate action, rather than fortuitous 'unworn' condition.

The Breitling dial looks original; the marks on it indicate some age. Most collectors could live with that.

The Longines dial looks too clean and fresh. The wording of the ad says 'original', but take care: it could mean in the original style (it wouldn't be the first time I've seen that spin on things). Sorry to be suspicious, but once again, South America is one of the hot spots for dial refinishing and so I must assume that this is a refinished dial. It's very, very clean and perfect for a dial that been around 48 years, isn't it? Heat, humidity, love, marriage, divorce. For most collectors a dial refinish reduces the collectibility and value of the item; it's up to you to make your choice on this issue. But once again, you're asking a group of enthusiasts and they would, for the most part, devalue a refinished dial.

Tough call. I think both are very much at the upper end. They are packaged and priced to a particular market. Most here are looking for watch 'finds' or 'fixer uppers,' and hardly likely to approve something found and fixed up.

For your first vintage, I'd personally be careful around eBay. There's a lot there, to be sure, but a lot of risk, too. Caveat Emptor–send us your findings and we'll try and help you stay safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts