WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the watch world I've always appreciated a beautiful watch but never really owned one but I'm looking to start my collection off. Only got about £200 to spend and I want something I can enjoy but also not take a hit on. I like bracelet ones and I'd rather a sporty looking model

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Orient & Seiko are good places to start

check out Orient Kamasu or Mako cult following around here amd for good reason you're getting a lot of watch for the money.

type in "seiko 5" into amazon see if there's any that take your fancy, they're all solid watches so it's just a case of which design you like best.

you cant go wrong with anything from Citizen or Casio too so have a look around see if there's any you like.

Personally id get a casio edifice efv-100 and pocket the rest.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

check out Orient Kamasu or Mako cult following around here amd for good reason you're getting a lot of watch for the money.

type in "seiko 5" into amazon see if there's any that take your fancy, they're all solid watches so it's just a case of which design you like best.

you cant go wrong with anything from Citizen or Casio too so have a look around see if there's any you like.

Hey thanks a lot I've been looking at some of these actually and I appreciate your help cheers

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
As this is your first watch there's a 99% chance you won't like it/be satisfied in the long run, so buy used to make the most with your money.

·
Premium Member
71,306 Posts

^This

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Sports watch on bracelet for around £200 = Orient Kamasu. If the bracelet isn’t to your liking long term it can always be upgraded to a Miltat bracelet.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Plenty of good suggestions already but just to add to the discussion. Most of what's been suggested are automatic movement watches, not quartz or solar. The OP doesn't say if he has any preference so no way to know his knowledge regarding the different movements.

Not certain why San Martin or related brands don't show up in a EK Ebay search. A simple search got 200+ hits. Also check WR watches, lists San Martin, Heimdallr, Chronos.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Seiko SUR 307, 309, or 311 for incredible bang for the buck in watches that look like a Grand Seiko, have accurate movements, sapphire crystals, and 100 meter rating. If you want a classic Seiko design look with true GADA specs, these watches knock it out of the park.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Looking at San martin they are absolutely stunning I just can't find any on ebay or in the UK is that normal and are they definitely worth the money
That's not normal, if I search 'San Martin watch' on ebay.co.uk I see many.
AliExpress is the most common site to buy one, from the San Martin official store. They are usually cheaper there than on eBay but shipping is slower (straight from China) and you might pay tax. That said, double check the eBay seller, some come from China there too.
AliExpress has sale periods with discounts and coupons which can bring down prices. For example i was eyeing up a SM that's £175 normally, but £150 after coupons during a sale. Also use the app which is cheaper sometimes.

Orient are great but there are only a few models in the £200 price range. My first automatic was an Orient based on online recommendations, but it wasn't really my cup of tea and sold it. Get something you really love, not because it's sensible/popular.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Seiko SUR 307, 309, or 311 for incredible bang for the buck in watches that look like a Grand Seiko, have accurate movements, sapphire crystals, and 100 meter rating. If you want a classic Seiko design look with true GADA specs, these watches knock it out of the park.
I agree. Gotta give some love the the Seiko SUR’s. I have the 311 and it’s everything you said. In fact I just bought the 633 for the wife and it’s due to arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm new to the watch world I've always appreciated a beautiful watch but never really owned one but I'm looking to start my collection off. Only got about £200 to spend and I want something I can enjoy but also not take a hit on. I like bracelet ones and I'd rather a sporty looking model
One can never go wrong with an Orient. I, myself, own 3 - and have never spent more than $270 for any of them - two of them brand new (the most expensive was my world timer, which is pre-owned, but was a nice find - My Bambino II was only about $120, and my Adventurer world timer was about $150-200 (picked both up on eBay))

·
Registered
948 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't think Alpina and Certina make watches in the under £200 range... They're close, but not that close...
200 quid = roughly $280 American.
That Alpina has been on Joma for $290 and the Certina is on there now for $299.
What's a couple more quid to get him proven Swiss and not San Martin/Heidllmar

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient and now Addiesdive
590 Posts
Reactions: Craig ms
1 - 20 of 59 Posts