WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
200 quid = roughly $280 American.
That Alpina has been on Joma for $290 and the Certina is on there now for $299.
What's a couple more quid to get him proven Swiss and not San Martin/Heidllmar
There current lowest Alpina is at $389, although you're right about Certina...

·
Registered
699 Posts
You just have to do some digging and/or waiting. They'll pop up. That's why I suggested them. A ton of bang for the buck

·
Registered
951 Posts
You just have to do some digging and/or waiting. They'll pop up. That's why I suggested them. A ton of bang for the buck
Oh totally agree about bang for buck. I'm eyeballing an Alpiner 4 GMT myself. One of the best priced "true" GMTs out there.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
200 quid = roughly $280 American.
That Alpina has been on Joma for $290 and the Certina is on there now for $299.
What's a couple more quid to get him proven Swiss and not San Martin/Heidllmar
Joma is in the USA though. Importing from Joma to the UK you're paying chunky shipping and taxes. Generally, on Joma you can turn $ into a £ after fees, so ~£290.

Unless you know of some UK seller with £200 Certinas.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Joma is in the USA though. Importing from Joma to the UK you're paying chunky shipping and taxes. Generally, on Joma you can turn $ into a £ after fees, so ~£290.

Unless you know of some UK seller with £200 Certinas.
Do you not pay those import fees on $200 Chinese watches?
All Im saying if I have the choice between a $200 San Martin (sub knock off) and $290 Certina/Alpina.
The choice is easy.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Do you not pay those import fees on $200 Chinese watches?
All Im saying if I have the choice between a $200 San Martin (sub knock off) and $290 Certina/Alpina.
The choice is easy.
Usually they slip through (I've only once paid tax on an AliExpress watch, and it totalled to £10 due to the $20 labeled value). You could also buy San Martin off UK eBay for only a little more which doesn't require tax. Whereas DHL from the USA, almost certinaly gonna pay tax. With Joma for a Certina, the cheapest mechanical on bracelet is £268 total.
And you are very limited in options. They are so cheap because they didn't sell. I find these cheap ones very boring tbh.

San Martin has a wide range, not just Sub knock offs.

I would rather have a top Chinese watch with NH35, than bottom of the barrel Swiss that's economically disposable when the movement fudges up. There's great value in moving up to Swiss/German, and would recommend them, but not when we're looking at £200 sports watches. £200 is effectively all made in China anyway and I think San Martin are some of the best in this price class, people who bought them can attest to that.

At the end of the day, OP should buy what he likes, not because it's sensible or because it's a popular brand. In my experience, sensible = boring = gets flipped.

·
Premium Member
Ball x2, B&M, CW, Edox, Eterna, Glycine, Hamilton, Marathon, MG x2, Mido, ML, Tag, Tissot, Yema
329 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
That Alpina is insane for the money. I got one recently (automatic 40mm startimer £800) and it's every bit on quality terms with Oris and Logines if not better. The dial and applied are immacualte under 40x macro lens. More than I can say for my friends Sub!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Orient
seiko

·
Registered
207 Posts
Orient Kamasu.

ot have a look around Citizen - probably your best value.

as a wild card the Swatch Sistem 51 range is worth a look.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts

This is an Awesome affordable and would make a great 1st watch.. hell Ive owned over 120 watches, and Ive had 4 of these over the years, and love them!

·
Registered
699 Posts
That Alpina is insane for the money. I got one recently (automatic 40mm startimer £800) and it's every bit on quality terms with Oris and Logines if not better. The dial and applied are immacualte under 40x macro lens. More than I can say for my friends Sub!
This is really what I was saying. Doesn't hurt to show what's out there to a nube. I wish I could have back my 1st purchase to buy something better. Honestly I have a certina that cost me $125 and its far superior to many of my more expensive seiko or citizen.
Never hurts to be introduced to something new, especially when you're new.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Couldn't agree more on Seiko and Orient, as I own a few myself, automatics or quartz will both be of amazing quality and value for money.
However, not every watch will look the same on your wrist, and not sure about your wrist size.
I'd suggest visiting your local H Samuel or similar watch store, try a few on, ask for case size for the ones you fancy, and that'll give you some idea of what size you are after.
E.g. I can wear anything from 38 to 42 mm on a wristwatches just under 7".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Great options here guys thanks a lot really appreciate it and I've got a lot to look at lol let you know what I choose

21 - 40 of 59 Posts