WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to get into an Oris Aquis date, 43mm case, the grey face with orange accents, steel bracelet. My local AD has one in the store, and they have had it for over a year, so she immediately came out and said that would do better on the price (starting out $1999) and came down to $1750. The grey market on this watch is $1100, so I am just unsure of what would be a good price on this watch. This will be my first higher end watch, so I am new to the buying experience, and any advice would be appreciated.

The other watch I am looking at is the Tag Formula 1 Calibre 5. Similar grey market, and the AD came down to $1500 right away, but its at an inferior AD to the Oris dealer. I am leaning towards the Oris, but the higher price has me concerned as its much further off the grey market.

Any thoughts? Or should I pull the trigger grey market? I think there is value in a relationship with the Oris AD, but not $650 worth.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Oris is a better quality watch than a tag.

Online Grey market savings is worth the difference.

Get your best online deal and show it to your AD. If they don't match it, buy online.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I could be wrong but isn't MSRP for a steal Aquis $1850? That starting price sounds inflated off the bat. Ask them how close they could come to grey market if your paying cash. If they get within 300 I would buy it, otherwise Im going Grey.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Absolutely go grey market or even pre owned if you don't mind going with potentially a different color scheme. I don't think there is really any reason to spend more than 700-800 on an aquis of you don't mind going preowned

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PS I love mine!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
The retail price for the Aquis 43mm on a bracelet is $1850. I paid $1400 for mine with the gradient blue dial and black bezel in September 2015 at a local AD.

·
Premium Member
60,727 Posts
It doesn't sound like the bargain of the century. See if the AD will get close to the grey market price and if not I'd give Rob at Topper a bell and see what he could do for you.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
^^^^ yeah I would definitely recommend checking with Topper! I have an other strap for my aquis coming from them, ordering was painless and the price was $30 less than I was expecting to pay. I dealt with Andrea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I think I will go back to the AD with a cash offer in the 1450 range or 1500 and see if they will throw in a strap or something to sweeten the deal. i wouldn't pay over 1500 for the watch though.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Okay I think I will go back to the AD with a cash offer in the 1450 range or 1500 and see if they will throw in a strap or something to sweeten the deal. i wouldn't pay over 1500 for the watch though.
Is a warranty worth paying 600-700 more than you really need to ?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would check some used sites. These pop up all the time, but you might have to wait for the color combination you want. Used, in like new condition, is around $700 or less.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Like others, I suggest another AD, you are not limited to those in your area. Pre-owned is also a good suggestion. The price of a pre-owned Aquis is simply an unbelievable value ($700-ish). I paid around $1650 at my AD about 4 years ago, no regrets as it was a memorable experience and I love the watch. I've been wearing it all week and it gained 40 seconds, not bad for non-COSC.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Go with the Oris. It is a better watch than the Tag. I'd buy grey for $1100, the cost of a full service on the watch is only roughly $200 or so at a watchmaker which is way less than your savings...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I thought more people would be all about the AD's, I am probably going to go in and see if they will deal, but expecting them to baulk at what I want them to buy it for, but if a lot of people go grey then I guess I will hit up toppers first and see what their price is, and go from there.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Wow, I thought more people would be all about the AD's, I am probably going to go in and see if they will deal, but expecting them to baulk at what I want them to buy it for, but if a lot of people go grey then I guess I will hit up toppers first and see what their price is, and go from there.
Yeah I'd say grey or the sales forum would be good places to look. I actually traded a squale 1521 that I paid $400 for to get mine. So my aquis was only $400

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've actually been kind of looking for a deal for same exact watch, and also debated buying gray market. Either that or the 65.

Good luck at the AD, closest AD to me is an hour an half away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dude! When I bought mine (3 years ago in Australia), the RRP was AU$1999. I managed to get it down to AU$1350 without too much haggling. This is an AD selling a brand new one, not grey market or second hand. If I were you, I'd feel very insulted by the offer from the shop you went to....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oris is a better quality watch than a tag.

Online Grey market savings is worth the difference.

Get your best online deal and show it to your AD. If they don't match it, buy online.

Interesting. Have you done this before? Has it worked?

I'm interested in getting the Aquis 43mm with the blue dial and bezel. has it for $995 right now which seems like a hell of a deal. There are a few local dealers in my area (Los Angeles) though I'm unsure at the moment if they have this specific one in stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Going to go in today and see if they will do 1400 for it cash. Expecting a no though. I think 1400 is a fair price and I don't mind a relationship with the AD, that being said I won't pay over 1400 for it thats for sure! I will stop back in with updates!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reporting in after talking to the AD in my area today! I went in and my salesperson wasn't available, funny story, it was actually one of my friends working with her looking for engagement rings, so thats a small world. Anyways, the watch manager was on duty and I delt with him today, which my salesperson wanted me to do anyways because he has the final say on price and is knowledgable. He definitely immediately snap judged me, as I am pretty young (24) and didn't roll in in a suit or fancy clothing, just regular street clothes. A lot of people say to go dressed way up, but I like to come in normal to see how people treat me, I am fortunate to have a great job as a merchant mariner and earn a decent living. When I buy my cars I do the same thing and only deal with people who treat me like a human being rather than write me off as not being able to afford the cars I am looking at. Which has led to some great relationships with dealers who don't snap judge people. Anyways I digress, so he was kind of cold and stand offish, but I gave him a chance and he warmed up when I started asking educated questions. Cut to me telling him that I know the grey market and I have a quote from another AD, well he didn't like that at all, got super upset, then asked if I was ready to buy today, I said yes, and he takes 50 bucks off, so we are at 1700 now. I was like great, thanks, and told him I would give it some thought.

He was going on about how if they are selling it for less than 1700 then they aren't playing by the rules and how Oris doesn't like their dealers selling the watches low. Then he says, "we don't mark these watches up to then mark them down" I just thought wow man, its not like you are sitting on a Porsche GT3 RS with a 100k dealer markup due to demand, this is a 1k Oris that you have been sitting on for a year. Pretty insulting, but I'm not sweating it, Online it is!

So my plan is to get the watch from another AD and then go back and have this AD size it. I even asked him if there would be bad blood if I bought elsewhere, and he replied that he would never scratch up my watch but he wished I would put the money back into the local economy. Which I found funny because I was clearly trying to, I came in with informed and reasonable prices and got treated with coldness and a lack of seriousness. Goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts