WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Reporting in after talking to the AD in my area today! I went in and my salesperson wasn't available, funny story, it was actually one of my friends working with her looking for engagement rings, so thats a small world. Anyways, the watch manager was on duty and I delt with him today, which my salesperson wanted me to do anyways because he has the final say on price and is knowledgable. He definitely immediately snap judged me, as I am pretty young (24) and didn't roll in in a suit or fancy clothing, just regular street clothes. A lot of people say to go dressed way up, but I like to come in normal to see how people treat me, I am fortunate to have a great job as a merchant mariner and earn a decent living. When I buy my cars I do the same thing and only deal with people who treat me like a human being rather than write me off as not being able to afford the cars I am looking at. Which has led to some great relationships with dealers who don't snap judge people. Anyways I digress, so he was kind of cold and stand offish, but I gave him a chance and he warmed up when I started asking educated questions. Cut to me telling him that I know the grey market and I have a quote from another AD, well he didn't like that at all, got super upset, then asked if I was ready to buy today, I said yes, and he takes 50 bucks off, so we are at 1700 now. I was like great, thanks, and told him I would give it some thought.

He was going on about how if they are selling it for less than 1700 then they aren't playing by the rules and how Oris doesn't like their dealers selling the watches low. Then he says, "we don't mark these watches up to then mark them down" I just thought wow man, its not like you are sitting on a Porsche GT3 RS with a 100k dealer markup due to demand, this is a 1k Oris that you have been sitting on for a year. Pretty insulting, but I'm not sweating it, Online it is!

So my plan is to get the watch from another AD and then go back and have this AD size it. I even asked him if there would be bad blood if I bought elsewhere, and he replied that he would never scratch up my watch but he wished I would put the money back into the local economy. Which I found funny because I was clearly trying to, I came in with informed and reasonable prices and got treated with coldness and a lack of seriousness. Goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover.
I wish I could say I was surprised at how it went. I too was treated kinda like crap in my states one and only Oris AD like you I'm young (26) and am not about to dress up to go buy a watch..

I gave my local AD two chances and the failed both times so off to Topper I went. I guess I can support California's economy lol.

Hope you're able to find the watch for a reasonable price! $1700 is purely outrageous!!

Mine says hi!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
There is no reason not to go grey market for the Oris. This is not Omega or Rolex we talking about here. Chances are these eta/sellita powered watches will not break that easily. I have bought quite a few swiss made watches through grey markets and all of them are working fine. You can buy one more decent watch with the saving you got from going GM to be honest.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts