WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking for a watch to use while at work. My line work is such that, well, it's being a local police officer so you can imagine the "abuse" or lack thereof, sometimes, the watch might take. I have a Casio G-shock on a four ring zulu, it's atomic and has held up well. The only complaint is the illumination, makes it hard to read at night. I forget the model number off hand, but its the one that the illumination is blue and the diodes are set to the side instead of backlit. It also has the analog hands and then the three little windows at the bottom displaying the digital time.

My other watches include about a 30 year old Seiko, approximately 47 year old Omega Seamaster (both belonged to my two grandfathers, so you can see the dilema there) and the anniversary edition of the Citizen (I believe the aqualand series, round face not half mooned version). I would like you guys' opinion on a watch to wear on the job, Citizen or Seiko preferably. I like the heft of the current Citizen when I wear it but don't know how well it will stand up to abuse if the situation arises, know what I mean? I'm looking for something kinetic or eco-drive, day, date, dual time, must have some sort of back light to it. Prefer the analog/digital look. Any suggestions would be very helpful.o|

V

·
0 Posts
Do you have a budget to work around?

There're a few choices for zero maintenance, scratch/ding/abuse resistant watches:

The best choice for me is the Attesa ATV53-2834:

This watch does everything. Limited Japan only edition. Chronograph, countdown timer, world time-zones (incl. fractional hour zones), backlight, 24 hour time, atomic clock syncing, eco-drive. Totally scratchproof (other than caseback) through Duratect Ti and DLC treatment. Under $1k shipped to your door (PM for source).

You can also consider the Casio MRG or Oceanus Series like these:

These are also DLC treated and hardened but I'm not sure about the backlight. Multiple timezones and most of them sync with atomic clocks worldwide too. About $1k.

More basic watches at lower price points:

Seiko SBQJ015:

Its a real GMT watch with diashield. Oh, it has a perpetual calendar too. Under $400.

Citizen has a few new GMT Attesas that are atomic as well. One of my favorites is the ATD53-2861 (abt $500):

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Hey s0241:

Does the watch have to be Kinetic? What about an automatic? Have you condidered Seiko's Monster line, Orient's Mako line, or Seiko White Knight, or Black Knight?

If you want solid, well-built, tanks that can withstand tremendous abuse, take a look at them.

If you need my help, let me know...

Angelis

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
For me, I like the Kinetics for still having quartz accuracy, but unfortunately I can't think of any cheaper auto Seikos that are GMT/dual time anyway.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Seiko monster or 007 with a miltary Bund dial and type 1 hands. On a grey zulu. I think that would suit a policeman well.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well...
Let's be practical and think about what you are going on a daily basis. If I were you I would probably get a watch which is not expansive at all, and you will not be sorry if it completely got ruined. I would probably not get anything that is over $50-60 dollars, just because of the line of work

V

·
0 Posts
I don't think the Oceanus you show above is DLC.. .the Casio MRG however, is....I could be misreading, though :)

Adam
Some Oceanus models have a DLC treated bezel, with the rest of the watch made out of hardened Ti, similar to Citizen's Duratect.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Seiko monster or 007 with a miltary Bund dial and type 1 hands. On a grey zulu. I think that would suit a policeman well.
Agree on that:-!

·
Banned
52 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking for a watch to use while at work. My line work is such that, well, it's being a local police officer so you can imagine the "abuse" or lack thereof, sometimes, the watch might take. I have a Casio G-shock on a four ring zulu, it's atomic and has held up well. The only complaint is the illumination, makes it hard to read at night. I forget the model number off hand, but its the one that the illumination is blue and the diodes are set to the side instead of backlit. It also has the analog hands and then the three little windows at the bottom displaying the digital time.

My other watches include about a 30 year old Seiko, approximately 47 year old Omega Seamaster (both belonged to my two grandfathers, so you can see the dilema there) and the anniversary edition of the Citizen (I believe the aqualand series, round face not half mooned version). I would like you guys' opinion on a watch to wear on the job, Citizen or Seiko preferably. I like the heft of the current Citizen when I wear it but don't know how well it will stand up to abuse if the situation arises, know what I mean? I'm looking for something kinetic or eco-drive, day, date, dual time, must have some sort of back light to it. Prefer the analog/digital look. Any suggestions would be very helpful.o|
LEO'S should wear only 1 type of watch...G-SHOCK.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts