153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
At least later in his career. In the photo heading his NY Times obituary (see below), it looks like he's wearing a Seiko diver with a Pepsi bezel and on the other wrist a dress watch that looks something like a Quartz Casio, or maybe a two-tone Rolex (both look similar from afar). RIP General Schwarzkopf.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/28/u...-gulf-war-dies-at-78.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
I remeber reading an article that mentioned that he wore a Seiko divers watch.
Suprising it was never better advertised or that somebody did not make him their watch ambassador - Hamilton?

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
I had the sometimes dubious pleasure of knowing the gentleman personally. He was my father's commanding officer when he held brigade command back in the mid-70s. I do not recall what watch he wore then but I remember his infamous temper well (though he was always kind to me). He was a fine officer.

Godspeed, sir.

Jeannie

·
Registered
6 Posts
I understand I'll be reviving an ancient topic (stumbled on this topic by accident), but history (of a great man) should run its course!

General Schwarzkopf used to wear a (quartz!) Seiko 7548 on his right arm set on Eastern Standard Time. His original watch has been auctioned for charity. (On his left arm he wore a Rolex, set on Saudi Arabian Time.)

I would argue by the way that his choice for this particular Seiko actually makes the 7548 a military watch.

Best Paul

·
Registered
188 Posts
I understand I'll be reviving an ancient topic (stumbled on this topic by accident), but history (of a great man) should run its course!

General Schwarzkopf used to wear a (quartz!) Seiko 7548 on his right arm set on Eastern Standard Time. His original watch has been auctioned for charity. (On his left arm he wore a Rolex, set on Saudi Arabian Time.)

I would argue by the way that his choice for this particular Seiko actually makes the 7548 a military watch.

Best Paul
I'm actually glad you did find this topic. I've always been a history buff, and considering I served in the Army from 91 I owe him a great deal.

I would only like to add that for at least my time in the Army, watches were never issued to us. I had three watches during my 7 years of active duty. I had a manual wind Timex camper watch, a Pulsar digital, and a Timex diver style watch. All 3 made it the distance, which despite being an infantryman they still held up.

To be honest with you, any watch can be worn in Army, and if you wanted to destroy your $400 dollar watch being an infantryman, or your $20 Casio working an admin post it was OK. Considering Stormin Norman's position in the Army, I'm not surprised he had some nice watches.

Reactions: eayden
1 - 7 of 7 Posts