1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Must not be real then.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
A lot of people don't like Lewis Hamilton, but I get what was going on here and there was zero chance Swatch group was going to concede an inch to Lewis Hamilton.

·
Premium Member
5,429 Posts
It is kind of absurd, even laughable, that he tried to prevent Hamilton International from using his surname.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It is kind of absurd, even laughable, that he tried to prevent Hamilton International from using his surname.
Except he didn't

This was discussed in detail on a public thread already and the number of people misunderstanding it was tiring.

Hamilton (Swatch) tried to stop Lewis Hamilton using the name Lewis Hamilton on jewelry, including but not exclusively watches. Lewis Hamilton then counter sued them, claiming that their use of Hamilton should not stop him using Lewis Hamilton. His claim was largely based on the fact that his jewelry brand would be much wider in scope and that Hamilton (Swatch) were using their trademark to stop him selling other items of which Hamilton (Swatch) had never sold or showed any interest is selling. Lewis Hamilton lost.

There was never any intention for Lewis Hamton to stop the Hamilton watch brand selling watches labeled in the way they always have.

·
Premium Member
5,429 Posts
Except he didn't

This was discussed in detail on a public thread already and the number of people misunderstanding it was tiring.

Hamilton (Swatch) tried to stop Lewis Hamilton using the name Lewis Hamilton on jewelry, including but not exclusively watches. Lewis Hamilton then counter sued them, claiming that their use of Hamilton should not stop him using Lewis Hamilton. His claim was largely based on the fact that his jewelry brand would be much wider in scope and that Hamilton (Swatch) were using their trademark to stop him selling other items of which Hamilton (Swatch) had never sold or showed any interest is selling. Lewis Hamilton lost.

There was never any intention for Lewis Hamton to stop the Hamilton watch brand selling watches labeled in the way they always have.
Yes, I realize that this case was discussed in detail on the Public forum. What was being discussed on the Public forum's thread on this subject matter stemmed from, more-or-less, from one single reporting source. As for me, I pulled my information from a different reporting source. And basically, this souces states:
The Fourth Board of Appeal ruled against 44IP following their latest attempt to stop the watchmaker using the name, stating its case was “not well-founded”.

Clearly, this reporting source references the fact that Lewis Hamilton's company—44IP— wanted to use "Hamilton" as its mark and was seeking Hamilton International to stop using his surname as their mark so it could market its fashion jewellery and watches with the name Hamilton attached to its products.

On a speculative nature, I am sure Hamilton Beach would have challenge 44IP if they wanted to sell home kitchen appliances and commercial restaurant equipment over here in North America with the name Hamilton incorporated into its mark.

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
I read this new a couple of days before, laughed a lot

Reactions: NC_Hager626

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, I realize that this case was discussed in detail on the Public forum. What was being discussed on the Public forum's thread on this subject matter stemmed from, more-or-less, from one single reporting source. As for me, I pulled my information from a different reporting source. And basically, this souces states:
The Fourth Board of Appeal ruled against 44IP following their latest attempt to stop the watchmaker using the name, stating its case was “not well-founded”.

Clearly, this reporting source references the fact that Lewis Hamilton's company—44IP— wanted to use "Hamilton" as its mark and was seeking Hamilton International to stop using his surname as their mark so it could market its fashion jewellery and watches with the name Hamilton attached to its products.

On a speculative nature, I am sure Hamilton Beach would have challenge 44IP if they wanted to sell home kitchen appliances and commercial restaurant equipment over here in North America with the name Hamilton incorporated into its mark.

He challenged their right to hold the European trademark Hamilton on a wide range of goods, not their right to sell watches using that name. His argument was that their European trademark was stopping him selling using his own name to sell jewelry and that he should be able to use Lewis Hamilton, not that they should not be able to use Hamilton.

The widespread dislike for this guy is disappointing. He behaves no worse than many famous sports people, but it tends to be the successful black sportspeople that get the most hatred and the worst reputations. Funny that.

This is just not an interesting story to anyone except those that want to sneer and feel superior to somebody they don't know but who is far more successful then they are. It seems to be bringing out the worst in a lot of people.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I think Hamilton is a good guy but I am wondering why he just doesn't use both his first and last name for branding. Should be no problem then.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sorry, but that's typically how trademarks work. It's unfortunate for him that someone was already using "Hamilton" on a watch. But no more unfortunate than a guy with the surname "McDonald" trying to open a restaurant. Wouldn't matter if it were fine dining or a street taco truck, there's no way McDonald's would let him get away with it.

Maybe he should brand his products with "Lewis" or "LH44" or something similar.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He challenged their right to hold the European trademark Hamilton on a wide range of goods, not their right to sell watches using that name. His argument was that their European trademark was stopping him selling using his own name to sell jewelry and that he should be able to use Lewis Hamilton, not that they should not be able to use Hamilton.

The widespread dislike for this guy is disappointing. He behaves no worse than many famous sports people, but it tends to be the successful black sportspeople that get the most hatred and the worst reputations. Funny that.

This is just not an interesting story to anyone except those that want to sneer and feel superior to somebody they don't know but who is far more successful then they are. It seems to be bringing out the worst in a lot of people.
Thanks for the clarification and setting the record straight. I knew there had to be an explanation. I almost feel guilty even raising the topic. Probably ranks up there with all the stuff flying about counting votes ;) Personally, I like Lewis Hamilton and thinks he's a great ambassador for the sport.

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
I'm pretty sure someone with Rolex as family name will do the same.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Lewis Hamilton is not held in very High Esteem by a lot of people in the UK, a lot of folks feel he is an End Bell < .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts