WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an SKX173 with a manufacturing date of February '15. It was purchased from Amazon in December '15 with the full Seiko warranty. It was bought for me as a gift and is my first automatic watch. I put it on a Strapcode Super Oyster and I love it.

The chapter ring is loose, and has enough play to move off center in both directions at 6 o'clock. On the bright side, it is lined up perfectly sometimes, depending on when I look at the watch!

I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do, if anything. I know I don't want to exchange it, even if I could. It already has sentimental value, and I hope to wear it daily for years to come.

Right now these are the things I'm considering:

1. Send it to Seiko for a warranty claim and eat the shipping.

2. Live with it and send it in near the end of the warranty period so that if the movement plays out or something similar I only pay shipping once. I just don't want the chapter ring bouncing around in there to hurt anything in the meantime. (Mar the dial?)

3. Taking it to a friend of mine that I'm pretty sure has a crystal press and letting him try to seat the crystal fully. The crystal does seem high at 11 o'clock, and I understand the chapter ring is sandwiched by the crystal and the case and or the dial. Perhaps if the crystal wasn't fully seated from the factory this would fix it? However, I don't want to void the warranty.

I really like the watch and it is running about 10 sec/day fast after a week of wear.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or opinions.

Flipside1955

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Hi...

it is probably the crystal not being all the way in, as long as someone who has some idea of what they are doing presses the crystal the rest of the way ... I don't think Seiko would ever know in case of some warranty issues down the line. So personally I like option 3 as that way you are not out a watch for some amount of time...and all in all the watch seems pretty good in other respects and you are attached to it.

if it was just a misaligned chapter ring my understanding is Seiko doesn't seem to consider that a warranty problem they will do anything about (from what i have read here). But if the crystal is indeed not properly seated that that would certainly (i would think) have to be a valid claim.

as to question 2? I honestly don't know if it will really cause any harm... I know that there are others that post here that have a chapter ring that moves around like that a bit... It might I guess cause wear on the dial ?? (hopefully someone else can answer more authoritatively on that issue?

If it was me I'd probably get the chapter ring where I want it and try to press the crystal in a bit better (carefully).

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I received one in the exact same condition from Jomashop...in fact I sent three of them back before realizing it was just a bad batch of 173's. Without the watch in front of me I believe it was made in November of 14, but I'll have to double check.

After some troubleshooting with my local watchmaker we figured out it was a warped chapter ring and just needed replacing. It was $58 to replace it and regulate the movement....too much money to spend on a new watch, but with the model being discontinued and no guarantee of finding a "good one" I figured I may as well.

If I were to do it now I'd buy the new part myself and just pay labor for a competent watchmaker to install it.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Do these chapter rings have notches for the movement?

Haven't heard of warped rings before but sounds pretty bad. I would go the seiko warranty route. No reason to pay out of pocket for it other than shipping.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Do these chapter rings have notches for the movement?

A quote from this excellent SKX mod guide http://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watchmaking-tinkering/24289-skx007-customization-step-step.html

"Regarding the chapter ring placement, there's a notch at 12'o in the case. If your ring is original or plastic aftermarket, a corresponding stud (correct translation?) should be present. But with metalic and some plastic rings, no stud is present, you'll need to use a very small point of glue or tape to fix the ring in the correct position. If not, it may happened that the ring is turning in its place ... not good at all !"

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
A quote from this excellent SKX mod guide http://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watchmaking-tinkering/24289-skx007-customization-step-step.html

"Regarding the chapter ring placement, there's a notch at 12'o in the case. If your ring is original or plastic aftermarket, a corresponding stud (correct translation?) should be present. But with metalic and some plastic rings, no stud is present, you'll need to use a very small point of glue or tape to fix the ring in the correct position. If not, it may happened that the ring is turning in its place ... not good at all !"
Nice!

Hopefully helps OP

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The skx173 chapter ring suppose to have a notch at 12pm which sit into a dent in the case, which position it positively.
From your description that the chapter ring is being loose, it appears that the crystal is not sitted squarely or flat.
The crystal sandwich the chapter ring and the dial.

Since its a new watch, I would either return for a replacement or send it to the service centre for correction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much for the replies, they are very helpful.

I think what I will do is have my friend (very gently) make sure the crystal is fully seated while the chapter ring is aligned properly. As atarione said above, I don't think that would cause problems with a voided warranty down the line. If this doesn't fix it then I'll eventually send it to Seiko for a warranty claim. Since no one has mentioned the chapter ring moving around to be harmful to the watch, I'll live with it for a while to make sure nothing else goes wrong. That way I only have to pay for shipping it to Seiko once.

Honestly, I am glad the warranty is there to hold me back from opening it up now. Otherwise I'd be tempted to have the chapter ring fixed, and what the hey, while it's open I just as well put some 6105 hands and a coin edge bezel on it. It would be a slippery slope.

Thanks again for all the help.

Flipside

1 - 8 of 8 Posts