WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning (afternoon/evening)...
I bought this beautiful lord Elgin piece just last night, and would love some info if anyone has any :)...
I know the company history , but would love some info on the watch itself.
I'm new to the world of vintage watches, and would love to know the value of a piece like this.

It's a lord Elgin 14kt gold filled -perfect working condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Are a disproportionate share of Lord Elgin dials in this condition as opposed to those of Elgin?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Production Year :1945
Size :8/0s
Jewels :21 jewels
Grade :556
Model :7
Run Quantity :3000
Production Dates :1940 to 1951
Total Grade Production :253000
Movement Configuration :Hunter Case (wristwatch)
Movement Setting :Pendant Wind and Set
Movement Finish :Flat/Matte Nickel Finish
Plate :3/4 Plate
Barrel :Going Barrel
Adjusted :Adjusted to 1 Position
Marked For :Lord Elgin

Very nice watch and the dial is aged to perfection IMO. I collect Elgins because IMO they are very high quality for what they sell for and have so many great styles to collect.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
What you have is the Lord Elgin model "4804A". It was made for several years in the 1940s. The serial number on yours is from c. 1945.

Are a disproportionate share of Lord Elgin dials in this condition as opposed to those of Elgin?
I don't think Lord Elgin dials in general. This particular model though, I often see like the OPs watch.

·
Registered
790 Posts
What you have is the Lord Elgin model "4804A". It was made for several years in the 1940s. The serial number on yours is from c. 1945.

I don't think Lord Elgin dials in general. This particular model though, I often see like the OPs watch.
I think it looks great like that but thats just me. I just got one today and its got some strange stuff on the dial and I wonder what would be safe to clean it off?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I think it looks great like that but thats just me.
I don't mind the dial condition myself - the printed areas are strong...There are many collectors though that would think that is a bit too far. I have seen that model many times with the stark redial - and don't like that look at all.

I just got one today and its got some strange stuff on the dial and I wonder what would be safe to clean it off?
The rule-of-thumb is "never attempt to clean a dial that you aren't willing to make worse". My approach would depend on what I saw under the loupe...I think that is a combination of finish loss (lifting) and darkening. If that is the case I don't think there is much you could do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you... yes I do think it's gorgeous... I have bought it to sell it though. But I'm not sure what it's value is!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts