WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a brand new Sieko about two weeks ago. Over the last 12 days it has lost 1min 20+ seconds. I've been wearing it 24/7 and it charges no problem. The thing is, over the first 8-9 days it has only lost about 30 seconds. And over the last 3 days it lost another 50 something seconds?

I'm not happy :-(

·
Registered
115 Posts
You should read more on how autos behave. 80sec in 12 days is perfectly fine, it's 6.5sec per day. That's peachy. What you're doing is also inaccurate to compare autos. You shouldn't compare the current time with the time when you set it, you should compare the time with the same time the previous day; autos don't always gain/lose a consistent amount every day, and they vary sometimes drastically depending on your habits/motion. My SPB001 loses 2sec by night-time and gains 1.5 of it back if I rest it crown-down on it's side.

My point is, you should keep a running record of how much it gains per day if you want to accurately determine if there's something wrong. I'd be more worried if it has too large disparity day-to-day than if it's losing/gaining a significant amount.

If you're seeing: Mon-7, Tues-6, Wed-7, Thu-6, Fri-6 then your watch needs regulating. If you're seeing Mon-3, Tue-9, Wed-8, Thu-3, Fri-5 then regulation won't help you. You either need a replacement or a service center to time it and reballance. Just stating 80sec over 12 days is only half the image and isn't useful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the explanation. This is my first automatic and I just know what I've read from the manual. The manual said "the watch may gain or lose 1-2 min per month". I'll definitely do some more reading on how auto's work.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
The manual for the 6r20 on page 23 says the daily accuracy rate specification is +25 to -15 seconds per day.

http://www.seikowatches.com/support/ib/pdf/SEIKO_6R20_E.pdf

Like Brew said 6 seconds per day is not bad for a mechanical watch, although I think this caliber is capable of better. If the accuracy bothers you, you can get it regulated by a watchmaker to bring it into say 2-3 seconds per day.

Keeping it fully wound will deliver the best accuracy as it will drift as it unwinds. You can also try playing with the resting position of the watch while you sleep as some positions will run predictably fast or slow and you can use this to balance out the normal error while wearing through out the day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts