WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have been in between homes during all this madness and thus went for a period when all my watches were in storage. I've taken them out to find that one, a Zim, has started to lose time, about 10 minutes over 24 hours.

I know this is the most obvious and inevitable issue with these lovely old watches but does anyone have any tips to try getting it back on form. So far I've put it in the airing cupboard hoping it would loosen up the lubricants and kept it wound and running for the past few days.

Also as another question, what does everyone do with their watches that lose time? Put them on display instead, adjust them during the day, try to get them fixed or relegate them to the back of the cupboard?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Question is: does your watch’s movement is losing time or the cannon pinion is loose and the hands just slip a bit. For that you need a timegrapher to check the movement. When you change time: do you feel some resistance or the hands move super easy? When you push the crown in: is it hard to keep the precise time you set and the hands sometime move a bit? All these questions can help me to diagnose the issue.
When was it serviced last time?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question is: does your watch’s movement is losing time or the cannon pinion is loose and the hands just slip a bit. For that you need a timegrapher to check the movement. When you change time: do you feel some resistance or the hands move super easy? When you push the crown in: is it hard to keep the precise time you set and the hands sometime move a bit? All these questions can help me to diagnose the issue.
When was it serviced last time?
Hi Odessa200 thanks for the questions. I've just checked, the resistance feels similar to my other watches and there's no movement of the hands when pushing in the crown

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Then the movement is loosing time. 10 mins potentially can be regulated. Are you able to open the watch?
I've popped it open. I can see the + - adjuster. Would I need to move it towards the +?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also as another question, what does everyone do with their watches that lose time? Put them on display instead, adjust them during the day, try to get them fixed or relegate them to the back of the cupboard?
Most of my watches are new (old stock) watches from HMT. These were manufactured in India 20-30 years ago so by the time I started wearing them, the lubricants were pretty much gone or nearly gone. So I found a good watchmaker and bit the bullet for a full service. By and large, the watches have run to near COSC specs for years since. But the decision to get a service is hard to make for an affordable watch. For most people, when they discover the cost of a service exceeds the cost of the watch, it's pretty much shelved. But I suspect many WUS members here would opt for the full service. In your case, I would definitely follow Odessa's advice and try regulation then monitor over the next week or so. Hopefully that's all that'll be needed.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Most of my watches are new (old stock) watches from HMT. These were manufactured in India 20-30 years ago so by the time I started wearing them, the lubricants were pretty much gone or nearly gone. So I found a good watchmaker and bit the bullet for a full service. By and large, the watches have run to near COSC specs for years since. But the decision to get a service is hard to make for an affordable watch. For most people, when they discover the cost of a service exceeds the cost of the watch, it's pretty much shelved. But I suspect many WUS members here would opt for the full service. In your case, I would definitely follow Odessa's advice and try regulation then monitor over the next week or so. Hopefully that's all that'll be needed.
That's what makes me reconsider this whole watch collecting thing. If I had to do a service on all my watches I could easily buy a Rolex Submariner with the money.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's what makes me reconsider this whole watch collecting thing. If I had to do a service on all my watches I could easily buy a Rolex Submariner with the money.
Fair enough - but I've found it's good to keep a balance. In my experience, the "get your watch serviced every 3-5 years" guideline is a bit excessive. If it's a daily wear, surely that frequency may be warranted (especially if it's a high beat movement). But most of the time, you can let that go to 7-10 years because most modern synthetic lubricants really don't dry up that quickly. I would wind the movements 1-2 times a month though. Plus, (as I think many people on WUS would probably attest to), it's difficult to limit yourself to that one watch (even one as coveted as a Sub). I pretty much love all my watches and couldn't imagine not having them. I would love to have them all AND the Sub!! :p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice everybody and particularly @Odessa200 and @Roman Ukraine

This morning I downloaded the clock tuner app. Tested it on one of my watches that keeps good time and it gave me a reading of -58 seconds per day, tested the Zim and it gave me -12 minutes! I adjusted the regulator a couple of times and I got the reading below! I've worn it all day and it's kept great time! Absolutely thrilled and really pleased to have learned more about how to maintain my watches :)!

I know a day will come when one of them truly gives up the ghost but as has been mentioned it's hard to stop feeding the habit ;)!

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Thanks for all the advice everybody and particularly @Odessa200 and @Roman Ukraine

This morning I downloaded the clock tuner app. Tested it on one of my watches that keeps good time and it gave me a reading of -58 seconds per day, tested the Zim and it gave me -12 minutes! I adjusted the regulator a couple of times and I got the reading below! I've worn it all day and it's kept great time! Absolutely thrilled and really pleased to have learned more about how to maintain my watches :)!

I know a day will come when one of them truly gives up the ghost but as has been mentioned it's hard to stop feeding the habit ;)!

fantastic! Welcome to the watchmaker club!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Fair enough - but I've found it's good to keep a balance. In my experience, the "get your watch serviced every 3-5 years" guideline is a bit excessive. If it's a daily wear, surely that frequency may be warranted (especially if it's a high beat movement). But most of the time, you can let that go to 7-10 years because most modern synthetic lubricants really don't dry up that quickly. I would wind the movements 1-2 times a month though. Plus, (as I think many people on WUS would probably attest to), it's difficult to limit yourself to that one watch (even one as coveted as a Sub). I pretty much love all my watches and couldn't imagine not having them. I would love to have them all AND the Sub!! :p
Oh, it's not like I would especially like a Submariner more than my Raketas, Slavas, Vostoks - sure it's Rolex, but same with Seiko or Citizen, I respect them for their quality, but they just don't have the same emotional impact as my Russians do... But anyway, my point was to illustrate what a financial burden that could be, not that I would exchange my Russian collection for a Submariner, no way :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh, it's not like I would especially like a Submariner more than my Raketas, Slavas, Vostoks - sure it's Rolex, but same with Seiko or Citizen, I respect them for their quality, but they just don't have the same emotional impact as my Russians do... But anyway, my point was to illustrate what a financial burden that could be, not that I would exchange my Russian collection for a Submariner, no way :)
Absolutely understood - I'm the same way about my HMT's. From a strict financial aspect, it makes no sense to get them serviced. But I have an emotional bond with each of them and cannot imagine having them in a state of disrepair. I do have Slavas and there's a certain dignity and honesty about their design which is hard to put into words. And there's a 90's Poljot on the way...which I think will finally allow me to join the "cool kids club" (or the Russian watches equivalent of one anyway)! :p

·
Registered
995 Posts
Absolutely understood - I'm the same way about my HMT's. From a strict financial aspect, it makes no sense to get them serviced. But I have an emotional bond with each of them and cannot imagine having them in a state of disrepair. I do have Slavas and there's a certain dignity and honesty about their design which is hard to put into words. And there's a 90's Poljot on the way...which I think will finally allow me to join the "cool kids club" (or the Russian watches equivalent of one anyway)! :p
Raketa is where it's at ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts