WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I am looking for "lost" brands that do not exist anymore but have very good movements, like Elgin for example. I am looking for dress watch types. What would your suggestion be?

Kind regards,

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
Excelsior Park (especially chronographs), Angelus, Buren, Record, Leonidas, Helvetia (not the PW brand of Louis Brand Freres, aka Omega), Phenix. Technically speaking, also Blancpain, Lange & Söhne, Vulcain and probably Universal Geneve (most or all of the modern versions are reincarnations after the original closed down).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Bulova mechanicals from before the 60's are excellent. Technically not a "lost" brand (they were sold to Seiko in '07), but they haven't made their own movements for decades.
Pre-60's Benrus watches are excellent as well.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
CYMA made some nice watches.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
For chronographs, with or without complications: Universal Geneve, Gallet, Minerva, Angelus, Leonidas

·
Registered
195 Posts
Certina, not lost but I don't think they make their movements any more, and Eska. Eska didn't make their own movements, but they certainly assembled some lovely pieces including split-second chronographs and cloisonne enamel dialled dress watches.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Lusserna it was the top R H Macy inhouse brand ,they always had top grade movements, most had gold cases, but the ones that didn't are affordable.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Just from what I see on auction sites, these brands seem to do well - Tavannes, Wyler, Illinois, Technos

And even though Hamilton is not "lost" per se, their time period from American to Swiss ownership are fairly different for collectors.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
Another one that hasn't been mentioned before: Enicar. In a recent artcle in "ArmbandUhren", the brand was compared to Rolex in terms of accuracy and ruggedness.

Hartmut Richter

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
|> Lucien Piccard, the real one.
What makes it a real one? I have a 14kt hand-wind that was given to my father by my grandparents, for High School graduation. That was in 1961.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts