WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one colleague has one of the first solar/atomic G-Shock, which I sold him a year ago. It was one with the useless Time Memo feature. He asked me one day:
John (colleague): "I need a sport watch that can stand up to skiing. What do you recommend?"
Jeremy: I thought a minute and said: "Probably a G-Shock."
John: G-Shock? What's that? (he's 63)
Jeremy: (told him)
John: Are they expensive?
Jeremy: They can be, but they don't have to be. They start at forty bucks for a really basic one. I have a solar/atomic one I'd sell you for fifty. I'll bring it in tomorrow and you can try it out over the weekend.
John: OK

He bought it. It's navy blue, but he wears it every. day. Business casual office. He could not care less that it only matches his outfit about 30% of the time. :D What's funny is that he also has a Raymond Weil, a nice dress watch, but he feels like it's too good for work, and that he might scratch it up. So he wears it for formal occasions only. I told him it has a sapphire crystal, which won't get scratched, and he should just wear it and enjoy the thinness and elegance. Nothing doing. He's "saving it" for something.

Another colleague has one of the AQ230 ana-digis from the 80s. But his is a rare gray metal one, with gold highlights. He says it was defective, he exchanged it and got another defective one. Had to send it out to Casio for warranty, and it has been fine ever since. He loves it: thin, light, dual time for when we traveled a lot.

Another has a Casio A168W. I asked him about it, he said: "If you want a good watch, get a Casio. I've had this one 20 years, and it's only on about its fourth battery! Keeps great time, and is really rugged too.

My buddy, who I recruited to our ranks, has my old PAW2000. I tried to trade him a couple watches to get it back yesterday, no deal. He likes it, even though I've never seen him wear it after that first week he bought if off of me.

What's the Casio situation at YOUR workplace? Lots of them, and taken for granted? Or too high-end for Casio?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
He bought it. It's navy blue, but he wears it every. day. Business casual office. He could not care less that it only matches his outfit about 30% of the time. :D What's funny is that he also has a Raymond Weil, a nice dress watch, but he feels like it's too good for work, and that he might scratch it up.
I kinda feel sorry for people like that - not because I think my attitude of how I treat my watches is the best, but because I feel they're not enjoying their watches as much as they could. Now I don't want to sound ghoulish here, but at 63, you haven't got a whole lot to save your watch for anyway, but it doesn't have anything to do with one's age. For example, my parents gave me a silver fountain pen for my 18th birthday (I may be a quartz guy, but I'm way more conservative when it comes to writing utensils), I could see my parents were not completely okay with the fact that I started using it right away; I guess they thought I should only use it on special occasions. But to me, that would not represent enjoyment - which, after all, is the reason they gifted it to me. Well, anyway, I still have it and use it daily, it looks a little worse for wear ( even flattened the cap with a hammer a few times because it got loose), but if I kept it in the box most of the time, it would be almost the same as if I had never got it in the first place.

Ah, who am I kidding, I think my attitude of how I treat my watches *is* the best, and I'd wear Patek to dirt biking if I could afford one.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Oh yeah - not very many Casios at my workplace (if you don't count the six that I have), but a curiously high concentration of Longines - two of my coworkers that wear watches have a Longines, which must be like 10% Longines. In addition to that, one colleague has a Sinn 556, another a blue face titanium Citizen Eco Drive (seems to be the BM6060), and that's about it when it comes to "nice" watches - though one female coworker has an awesome early 90s no-name fashion watch, if I were a woman I'd be all over that.

Oh, and one guy has a really cool vintage mechanical stopwatch, but I can't for the life of me remember the make.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, speaking of mechanical stopwatches, my boss has a Victorinox quartz chrono. Nice-looking watch, but... he has the chronograph stopped at some odd time, and doesn't even seem to notice or care. It's all I can do not to grab his wrist and reset it. :-\

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've just started an interest in watches in the last few months and have been greedily gobbling up info from the WUS forums.
I was at an RAF station with my work last week and couldn't believe the amount of G Shocks worn by the lads servicing the aircraft. I must have seen about 50 in three days. Mostly black.

I'm still searching for the perfect Casio myself - the classic design of the A-158/159 is perfect, they're just too small for my 7.5" wrist.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If you're OK with black, consider getting the W-741. Still only 40mm wide not including the buttons, but it is a step in the right direction (I voiced a similar complaint here a couple of weeks ago).

What do you guys think, though - with Casio keeping the old digitals in production and even refreshing the line (with that black-and-silver A158W), and with the current trend of (very) large watches, do you think we'll ever see an oversized classic digital?

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm still searching for the perfect Casio myself - the classic design of the A-158/159 is perfect, they're just too small for my 7.5" wrist.
How about the AL190WD? It's wears a bit bigger, and has that interesting batteryless/solar aspect to it. Has the countdown timer too, which the A158/68 don't have...

...or the B640WD, which seems to have the great module from the DW5600E G-Shock and is said to be a bit bigger. (maybe in keeping with its 70s vintage theme)

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you guys think, though - with Casio keeping the old digitals in production and even refreshing the line (with that black-and-silver A158W), and with the current trend of (very) large watches, do you think we'll ever see an oversized classic digital?
No. Oversize is not classic.

I hope they keep them honest, too. There are plenty of oversized digitals available for those who want them. No need to pollute the classics.

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,954 Posts
I work at a college and I see this Casio or some derivative of it on many wrists. It seems the retro little gold square is a popular accessory among both women and men.

Watch Analog watch Digital clock Watch accessory Strap

This is more popular among women and the stainless steel can be found on guys mainly.

And then there are the G-shocks, the model I see most often would be the DW-6900.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How about the AL190WD? It's a bit bigger in all dimensions, and has that interesting batteryless/solar aspect to it. Has the countdown timer too, which the A158/68 don't have...

...or the B640WD, which seems to have the great module from the DW5600E G-Shock and is said to be a bit bigger. (maybe in keeping with its 70s vintage theme)
Hi Smaug.

I've looked at most Casios by now and my heads spinning with them :) I was going for silver but there's nothing in the 40mm plus case size. Although the AL190WD fits the bill, I'm not keen on all the wasted face real estate with the solar panel. (not sure that Amazon description is right either at 19mm diameter...) The BW640D is the same size as the A158, believe it or not. It looked perfect so I bought one off eBay and it's too small so I resold it (for a profit too!).

I think it's going to have to be resin.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the cases were not that big in the 80s. I remember thinking that the DW-5600 G-Shock was HUGE.

As for the wasted space on the AL190, if you think about it, it is NOT wasted, but actually put to good use, since that and the capacitor replace the battery. It's certainly less of a waste than a lot of G-Shocks with their animated pie graphs sucking up space, hehehe.

As for it having to be resin, maybe not. How big are Seiko's modern digitals? Granted, they're a lot more expensive.

If you've gotten used to G-Shock sizes, these will all feel small.

Hi Smaug.

I've looked at most Casios by now and my heads spinning with them :) I was going for silver but there's nothing in the 40mm plus case size. Although the AL190WD fits the bill, I'm not keen on all the wasted face real estate with the solar panel. (not sure that Amazon description is right either at 19mm diameter...) The BW640D is the same size as the A158, believe it or not. It looked perfect so I bought one off eBay and it's too small so I resold it (for a profit too!).

I think it's going to have to be resin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, the cases were not that big in the 80s. I remember thinking that the DW-5600 G-Shock was HUGE.

As for it having to be resin, maybe not. How big are Seiko's modern digitals? Granted, they're a lot more expensive.
A lot more.. They do have some nice ones but they are pricey. The Sprint looks good but it's about £150 ($250)..
Watch Digital clock Watch accessory Clock Technology

I've since got my eye on the Casio W215-H too which is a scaled up A-158 module.

·
Registered
965 Posts
... ...or the B640WD, which seems to have the great module from the DW5600E G-Shock...
I KNEW there was something about this watch which was bugging me! It IS the same module, how could I have missed that? OK, the light button is in the old module's position, but

Watch Digital clock Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Strap Digital clock Camouflage

it's a de-shockified DW-5600, but with an LED backlight instead of a EL. Some would call that a retrograde step, but not me. A worthy replacement for the lamented W-71, perhaps.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
In my office there's eight sales people.....I am the only one who wears a watch.

Strange but true.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depends on which part of the company you are talking about... :)

In one of our offices there are a lot of operations and engineering people. I was in a large design meeting and the number of Pro-Treks and G-Shocks on everyone's wrists was astounding. Pretty much the only brand in evidence. Fairly high end metal Pro Treks and G-Shocks at that. My offsider wears a Casio Edifice EQSW A1000 from memory. I was wearing an Casio Edifice ERA-200 which is still in my rotation much of the time..

Ross

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
Most of the time I work with soldiers of the NATO forces, so yes, lots of G's but also lots of Suuntos and Timex's. The latter are probably the most worn, I estimate.

cheers

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a colleague who wears a DW-6900MS, and another one with an analogue Casio that I haven't identified yet. There were a couple of others, but they no longer work there. One of the office guys wears a nice looking black Seiko solar diver. And another guy used to wear a smartwatch -- sorry, I don't know which -- but something happened to it and it won't charge anymore, so he switched to his backup watch: a Fossil with his favorite college basketball team's logo.

I have my DBC-1500 on most of the time now in the shop, but sometimes I wear my DW-5000 1JF. Like today, when I had to clean out coolant tanks on three machines. That was definitely a G-Shock job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.