WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first time posting in this forum and I've been trying to do some research on G's but can't seem to find what I am looking for...

So I am confused about why names like mudman, frogman, gulfman, riseman float around, yet all G-shock models use a string of letters and numbers which make finding them hard to decipher.

I've noticed that all the Gshocks that end in "man" seem to be the most popular on this forum, is there a list of all of them somewhere? and are they only limited to asian countries- I ask because I have never seen a "frogman" on casio's website or at any AD.

Are all G-Shocks made in Thailand? based on the caseback photos it looks like this might be the case.

Thanx,
-Jack

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hi JSonn, welcome to the forum. First off, you should know that there is a G-Shock called Jason, which is a vintage DW-001 and is one of my "Grails".

Anyway, those names are usually monickers given to the watch to denote their particular feature. The Mudman for example is mud-resistant, the Frogman is a deep sea diving watch and the Gulfman has moonphase and tide readings. I don't know why they call a Riseman a Riseman, so someone else will probably chime in.

Sometimes they have names like Speed, Sting, Jason, Red-Eye, Popeye, Gundam, Slasher, Stargate in reference to what these watches resemble or have appeared in a popular hollywood movie. In time, you will learn what they are and also their model numbers.

It's true the G's ending in Man are more popular, but not true that all of them are expensive or limited to certain countries. Except for the Frogman, which is rather limited everywhere.

G's are made in Japan, Thailand, Korea, China, Malaysia but all are no different in terms of quality, so don't worry about it.

I'm no expert, but this is what I can tell you. Someone will soon come along and shed more light.

Have fun here and beware the very scary BrokeMan G-Shock, because that will come about pretty fast when you join us, mwa ha ha :-!

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Also known as the "Masters of G" series...
Gulfman, frogman, mudman, etc...

Doesn't the Riseman have an altimeter? And I think the case back is of an Icarus like guy??? So maybe rising? flying? etc?

What I dont get is the wademan... anyone? LOL...

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I have a Riseman. Yes, it has an altimeter, thus has the ability to measure "rise". I think it's the first G with such a feature. The back does have an Icarus character.

The Wademan has a digital compass and thermometer function. There is a Fisherman that has tidegraphs and thermometer...and a few other "Men" as well.

Good luck collecting...and welcome!

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
right.... so why call the Wademan the Wademan?! LOL

(BTW the wademan has a compass complication for those who may not know) :)

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Wademan: tidegraph to know the tide...temperature to know when it's too cold to be in the water??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts