WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me in the direction of what American made watches have a nice loud tick? May sound silly, but I love the sound of them late at night while I am reading..

I have a Molnija and I can barely hear anything at all..

Anything in particular? I was told perhaps most 7J in particular...?

Thanks you all,
David NY

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Probably a pin pallet 'dollar' watch such as a 1 jewel Ingersoll.

Edit...Hartmut, you beat me to it by about 3 secs, great minds think alike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

have to see if I can locate any dollar watches now. Are they at least reliable in the sense they will last if serviced?

David

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Does not sound silly to me, I wear my junghans because its a loud tick, just a thought buy a vintage clock for the bedroom

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Look for a 18s full plate watch; the larger balance gives a louder click, and the full plate helps provide additional resonance. But the case is a big factor; you need a fairly thin case to get good acoustics. A simple gold-filled case is best; those thick silveroid jobs muffle the ticks. The number of jewels isn't really a factor, since the ticking comes from the escapement (which is fully jeweled, even on a 7j watch). There's no real reason why a pinlever would be any louder, except that they usually have stronger mainsprings in order to compensate for the inefficiencies of the design. That's the same reason why a larger watch will give you a louder tick too. The more power going through the escapement, the louder the escapement becomes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok that makes sense to me..I get that. And thanks all.

so look for larger watch then? I went looking for "dollar watches" but I must be searching wrong as I don't seem to be able to find any American watches that are "dollar"watches.

David

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Ok that makes sense to me..I get that. And thanks all.

so look for larger watch then? I went looking for "dollar watches" but I must be searching wrong as I don't seem to be able to find any American watches that are "dollar"watches.

David
Here's a link which gives a potted history of the 'dollar watch and various U.S manufacturers.

Dollar watch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
248 Posts
A vintage alarm clock would make a similar but even louder sound. Jaeger le Coultre made some nice alarm clocks with pretty nice, large movements, most have an 8 day movement, so you just have to wind it once a week :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are the best. Tanks so much all.

David

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have to keep my Ingersoll in a drawer when it's running, the thing is so loud. My wife complains she can't read, it distracts her so much!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts