WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I really love my Type-A, ever since I've got it in December, it never got unwinded - when I got it, it was running +6s/day - and up until ~5 days, it was +6s/day consistently

But today I discovered that it's now running -10s/day, it's not a babied watch, so maybe it got affected from a movement on my wrist, but to be honest I can't recall any event in the last 10 days that could've caused it

Anyway, I wonder how I should approach the issue, as far as I know, opening the caseback voids the warranty? Otherwise just manually re-regulating would've been one option I guess

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just recalled that I got a bit upset on 12th of September, it was my 30th birthday, harsh day, and at one point I released the anger on a punching bag, so I assume at that time the watch was on my wrist, and the aftermath is the -10s/day

Let me rephrase my question: What does the warranty cover and for how long?

Re-regulating the watch myself is seeming like the best option

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
All Stowa watches come with a 2 year warranty. I believe they will consider that “mishandling” so its my guess they wont want to cover it but they have great customer service so I’d send a email and give it a shot. You may get lucky and it will be covered.

I’m not at all knowledgeable on watch mechanics but with just -10s, you may be able go just have it regulated. I would think mechanical damage would cause a lot worse. But I'm not a expert.

I’d just email Stowa and see what happens. At the worst they fix it, but having them do it will at least keep the warranty intact if it has issues in the future.

Reactions: Tom Kellie

·
Registered
387 Posts
Have you ruled out magnetization?

One of my Sinns is doing just this... went from +2spd to -25spd almost overnight. I’m going to ask a jeweller to demag it for me because I suspect magnetization is more likely than needing a service already.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you ruled out magnetization?

One of my Sinns is doing just this... went from +2spd to -25spd almost overnight. I’m going to ask a jeweller to demag it for me because I suspect magnetization is more likely than needing a service already.
Could be, but from my experience it speeds up watches significantly rather than slowing down, I have one of the cheapest demagnetizers but I'm very reluctant to use it on my Stowa - bought a vintage Seiko Marvel a while ago, it was gaining two hours every hour, this demagnetizer reduced it to like 20 mins every hour, yet it didn't completely eliminate it, it's still pretty magnetic, so I don't have much courage on that front :)

If you can, let me know if you get any results, I've been visiting construction material sellers recently, lots of motorised devices around those parts, on the streets, around the shops, maybe something indeed magnetised my watch

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fyi, the app in this video is just incredible:

Turns out my 5626 Seiko that ran well but suddely started stopping, was also magnetised, and with the app, it's pretty easy to confirm magnetisation and demagnetisation

Now my Stowa was also magnetised, however, with my left crown Pilot, there's still magnetisation coming from right under the crown, not the crown, but just under it, for right side crowns, it should be right above the crown

Anyway, going to use it for a while and see whether demag did the trick, in the meantime bought a $20 demagnetiser, one of the white mri looking like ones - slowly moving onto $100-$500 demagnitisers

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
So the issue was caused by magnetization? Surprised didn't know that could slow a watch. Learn something new everyday!

Also happy to head a follow up! Most people never share the solution to their problems!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts