WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
First of all...Congrats Vokotin...a Great watch indeed, If I was aiming for a "classic" 6105 this would certainly be it.
Great pictures from the others too.

I think Jake already knew his words would draw some blood but I think there were acceptable...I mean if one makes a "selling argument" about a some component origin I hope it to be true not misleading and here, at least, there is some reasonable doubt. Having said that I couldn´t care less were it was finished or made as long as it was well done. I went for the "other team" but as I said before, If my choice was the "classic" the Smiths would be it...love the hands, bezel and indices...not so much the greenish lume and lume pip (nitty picking I know)

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I'm in line for the Typhoon and on the pre order list. Looking forward to getting it soon. At the same time, I would love to see a review of both watches compared, by someone who has both. A factual unbiased view would be most helpful. I guess it will have to wait till enough watches are sold by both......to the OP,that's a good looking watch you got there...Congratulations.

Edited to add that I have the Smiths Everest as well as a Tsunami from Dagaz. Have been in the process of selling my entire collection of watches in order to focus just on Seikos, BUT....... the Everest and the Tsunami will stay with me forever ....never to be sold.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I read Jake's original post... Like coldbeer, I happen to like both watches and will likely wind up with both at some point. I didn't take Jake's comments as a dig at Eddie at all, but rather as an observation about the mystique surrounding German and Swiss made watches and the immediate assumption that a watch labelled as such is better than Chinese produced counterparts. Posters on WUS, myself included, have been swooning over the PRS-68 and talking up the "made in Germany" angle and I think Jake is pointing out that there is a possiblity that the watch is at least partially produced in China, and I assume that in doing so he was trying to open our eyes to the fact that Chinese factories are putting out top notch stuff these days (I remember when first "made in Japan" and then "made in Korea" signalled an inferior product. Today they are a sign of fantastic engineering and QC. Maybe Chinese horology is getting that point as well). Anyway, I'm neutral in this mud-slinging session - like WhiteTuna, I have no idea what history there exists between Jake and Eddie and frankly, I don't care. I also don't give a tinker's fart where my watch components, including the movement, are produced as long as the design and QC are there. I own an XW/Dagaz Tsunami and a Precista PRS-14 and the attention to detail on each is impeccable and both hold cherished places in my watchbox. OK - back to the Smiths PRS-68, which is thing of beauty! I must reisist the urge to buy... for now!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Great looking watch!! Everybody seems to be happy with it so far. Looks large on your wrist though.

I'm probably one of the few that like both offerings being discussed/debated. I can't wait to pick up a '68 on the flip. IMO, however, the thread was doomed to this negative course after the OP took the potshot at the Typhoon camp in the first sentence of the original post. There was no need in that, as it openly invited the response it got.
Totally agree with this.

IMO, there's room for everybody. Let the Precista people go with the Smiths, and Dagaz people go with the Typhoon, and in between those who like both offerings get one of each.

I have my reservations with the Smiths version, which I have already vented in a few forums/topics, but in respect to the OP I'll try to keep his thread devoid of my comments about what I find wrong in the watch per se.

But I'd like to point out this: Jake has done a lot for the WIS community. He deserves much more respect than what was shown in this thread, IMO, eventhough he chose to comment negatively about a rival company that he might have a conflict of interest in this instance.

Although the truth is sometimes deemed as "negative comments", some might say.... food for thought.

If not provoked, Jake would've probably refrained from his comments, eventhough a lot of what he has posted sounded as nothing but how things really are. There's much B.S. about this "caseblanks" thing and the famous "made in palookaville" legend or anyother place in this Galaxy.

Why does a brand have to promote his product using its origins as braggin' rights instead of the product per se? This is something that irritates me to no end, in this day and age of globalized industrial production.

This watch is what it is: a xerox copy of the Seiko original, period. The other watch will be a reinterpretation with a xerox case copy, but with many options that offer a different view from the original, and not a plain siamese twin. A collector that wants exactly a 6105 without its many holdbacks (IMO) such as being old, non-screwdown crown that is hard to replace the gasket, old movement needing service, busted case with possible pitting, etc, etc will find the Smiths the perfect alternative; to those that like the 6105 (and probably already own one) specially its case, but don't want a direct xerox but rather just its cues in a modern interpretation also without the compromises of the original watch will find Jake's version the answer to their prayers.

The way I see it, there will be markets for both watches.

But one thing is for sure: enough is enough with that whole german made speech. I think the community deserves better from sparing us of this non-sense. Why not proudly made in HK like everyone else?

Sorry for the rant (somehow)....

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Hope I'm not stepping out of line, but in a different forum I have been reading some of Eddie's comments and he flatly states that the case blanks are produced in China and final machining and finishing done in Germany with German QC. The cost of the finishing and QC would certainly be higher than having this done in China, so I can see why there is a slight cost differetial between both watches. Again, though, I don't care where the bits come from, just the end result and the PRS-68 is gorgeous. I love what Jake is doing with the Typhoon as well. As ChrisGalbraith noted, in one you have a very faithful homage with updated movement and WR and in the other more flexibiity allowing you to configure the watch how you please. Win-win, I say. I'm dying for some in depth reviews!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Hope I'm not stepping out of line, but in a different forum I have been reading some of Eddie's comments and he flatly states that the case blanks are produced in China and final machining and finishing done in Germany with German QC. The cost of the finishing and QC would certainly be higher than having this done in China, so I can see why there is a slight cost differetial between both watches. Again, though, I don't care where the bits come from, just the end result and the PRS-68 is gorgeous. I love what Jake is doing with the Typhoon as well. As ChrisGalbraith noted, in one you have a very faithful homage with updated movement and WR and in the other more flexibiity allowing you to configure the watch how you please. Win-win, I say. I'm dying for some in depth reviews!
Both guys (Eddie, Jake) produce really nice watches and both guys exhibit jerkish behavior at times so I don't have a personal favorite in this debate. Great watch OP, I hope you get tons of enjoyment and wear out of it.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Outstanding selection, discussion, and photos, Francesco! I'm glad you are so happy with your new watch from Eddie. He certainly makes first-class pieces!

Reactions: vokotin

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Outstanding selection, discussion, and photos, Francesco! I'm glad you are so happy with your new watch from Eddie. He certainly makes first-class pieces!
Thanks to stay on topic mate, I appreciate!
I'm sick and tired to read posts that have NOTHING to do with my appreciation thread!
Geeeeez, I even said, "no need to post or to congratulate here guys..." :-d

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
So much bla bla for such an uninteresting watch...
Isn't this true - original content is hard to come by in the very mature and competitive watch industry. I think even Apple might have a hard time with the iWatch.

Eddie and Jake are two of the best in the micros, but a large percent of their business come from homages. It gives me a bit more appreciation for the likes of Jason at Halios.

And, congrats on the watch.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thanks to stay on topic mate, I appreciate!
I'm sick and tired to read posts that have NOTHING to do with my appreciation thread!
Geeeeez, I even said, "no need to post or to congratulate here guys..." :-d
Bro, not trying to take a poke on you, but if your honest purpose with this thread was only to manifest your own awe with the watch (and it does look great, indeed) and nothing else - not even posts commenting on how great the watch looks - you could have done many things differently:

1) Post your thread and lock it up to not allow members posts;

2) Spare the cheap shot of the whole 'german made';

3) Take a deep breath and count to 10 before posting your reply to Jake's comments in such an aggressive manner. You could have retorted in alot of ways, but you chose to post your remarks the way you did. You said you're not a Jake fanboy, but you're sounding to me like one of Eddie's croonies.

I think you're a good guy, Francesco, and I'm sorry your thread go sidelined the way it ended up being. But there were many ways you could have avoided this aftermath, IMHO. Please, don't get mad at me, but I'm just calling it the way I'm seeing it, brother. :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
......but I cannot get passed the name/logo. I would have a hard time wearing a Smith's watch. The name does nothing for me. :-s
At first I wondered too about the Smiths moniker but then I remembered the gauges on an E-Type Jag I once owned... same logo and name. Kind of clever actually.

Imagine the controversy if he'd put "VDO" on the dial!!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
At first I wondered too about the Smiths moniker but then I remembered the gauges on an E-Type Jag I once owned... same logo and name. Kind of clever actually.

Imagine the controversy if he'd put "VDO" on the dial!!
The overall look and feel of the watch, including the bracelet make me excited. The name makes me flaccid. I do like the font though. :-!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Isn't this true - original content is hard to come by in the very mature and competitive watch industry. I think even Apple might have a hard time with the iWatch.

Eddie and Jake are two of the best in the micros, but a large percent of their business come from homages. It gives me a bit more appreciation for the likes of Jason at Halios.

And, congrats on the watch.
Quite sad a simple review of a watch has turned into 6 or so pages of this! Still, on the bright side on the back of this I have just had a quick look at those Halios watches. Like the look of that bronze one they have there.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.