WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be a short post, simply because my usual research outlets have turned up almost nothing in regard to this watch. I'm hoping some other comrades may be able to fill in the gaps. Or maybe there's just not much of a story to tell.

Vladimir Lenin was born on April 22, 1870. Exactly 100 years later, in the year 1970, the Luch Watch Factory in Minsk apparently created a commemorative watch to celebrate his life, bearing Lenin's profile and the inscription "100 Years".

This watch is quite hard to track down, even in photos, though I have found a few: 1, 2, one from Russ' collection, and one from a current eBay listing.

One particularly unique aesthetic feature of this watch is the way 'ПУЧ' is written on the dial. Luch transitioned through various iterations of its brand logo over many decades, but this is the only example of this particular font/style that I'm aware of. Pity, as it's a really tasteful design with a gentle curve upwards, almost like a smile.

DSC02740.jpg

DSC02750.jpg

At $125/delivered, this was not a cheap watch -- but I consider myself lucky as it came from a seller who had no other watches for sale, and therefore (presumably) didn't really know what they had. The listing photo looked very promising:

Picture1.png

And after a good scrub and polish, things looked even better.

As the photos above show, the dial appears pristine when I get the light just right. But in truth, there's some serious damage to the perimeter, concealed largely by the bezel but still noticeable when viewing the watch head-on, as below.

DSC02757.jpg

One the reverse, we can see that this is the "old-style" 2209 case, with rounded lugs and extra-thick 20-micron gold plating. Lateral brushing on the caseback and the small, button crown both check out as authentic to my eyes.

DSC02766.jpg

DSC02773.jpg

No surprises inside, where we find a Minsk-branded 2209 with studded balance -- all consistent with a production year of 1970.

DSC02774.jpg

DSC02785.jpg

Overall, a really nice, understated commemorative design celebrating one of the most important and influential figures of the 20th century. And that's all I can say about the Luch Lenin.

Spasibo!

DSC02796.jpg

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Nice one Dash; beautiful pictures!

Lenin, the "George Washington" of the soviet union, made the "Time 100: The Most Important People of the Century" list published in 1999...so did Bart Simpson.

It's hard to find an "ultra-slim" in such nice condition, all-authentic, without paying three figures so I think you did really well.

Bought this the other day:

Capture.JPG

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Excellent catch Mroatman. These watches used to come up now and again but it has been a very long time since I have seen one for sale.

The Luch typography looks a little oriental to me with the serifs.

I don't have a Lenin 100 years watch but amongst my collection of Soviet medals/badges, I do have the 100 years medal which many verterans at the Victory parades have amid the many they wear. I also have acres of stamps from a huge collection of stamps that a Polish friend gave me some years ago. These are complete sheets of 24 stamps per sheet of Lenin at different stages of his life. Each colour represents a different age. I have also got a repro Order of Lenin medal for a bit of scale in the photo (apologies for photo quality).

Lenin 1870-1970 Stamps.jpg IMG_20171017_195137133.jpg IMG_20171017_195038828.jpg

Incidentally, I am not aware of either a Stalin, Krushchev, Brezhnev, Andropov or Chernenko watch but there are Gorbachev and Yeltsin watches made by Slava.

Sekondtime

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Incidentally, I am not aware of either a Stalin, Krushchev, Brezhnev, Andropov or Chernenko watch but there are Gorbachev and Yeltsin watches made by Slava.
There is said to have been a Stalin Luch (here) and another Lenin dial (here), but both look like fakes to me.

How can you tell the Order of Lenin medal is a reproduction?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Lenin worked on his theories for a popular uprising while living in Switzerland, Therefore, this watch belongs to switzerland and is cultural property of ...me :-d
Sorry ill-phil, Belgium and the UK have prior claim to the watch over Switzerland. The Second Party Congress which was the first party congress to take place outside Russia was started in Brussels and finished at the Three Johns Public House in Islington, London (i.e. down the Pub!) in 1903. And Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto was written (1847) and published (1848) over a period of time between Brussels and London.

Sekondtime

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
There is said to have been a Stalin Luch (here) and another Lenin dial (here), but both look like fakes to me.

How can you tell the Order of Lenin medal is a reproduction?
I agree the Stalin Luch is probably a fake. I can launch the second link.

The Order of Lenin medal was actually sold as a reproduction from a medal supplier in Germany. There was a series of high quality repropduction medals made for collectors. One of the things that gives it away is the colouring and material of the medal ribbon. Although the colours and style/texture of the medal ribbon is correct it is not the same quality as authentic Russian/Soviet medal ribbon.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
To Ill-Phill & Sekondtime ....

Given my highly debatable & dubious taste in interior design & the natural good look that I share with Vladimir Ilych and despite that personality cult is very «reactionary petit-bourgeois», as explained by Tovarich First Secretary N.Khrushchev during the 1956 20th congress,
if Tovarich Dash’ awesome watch were to ever go anywhere ...

6F4A4343-0C4A-4AA9-9777-F86E6A6A53AA.jpeg

well, may I suggest it should go to my Prague headquarters ?
;-)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts