WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi comrades,

A recent post in the "legit or franken" thread really intrigued me, so I thought I would make a thread to this topic in hopes that someone else can shed some light on this unusual watch. These photos seem to depict a Luch 2209 with a somewhat unusual triangle on the dial, just below the midpoint. I have seen two examples of this dial configuration -- one silver, one gold -- and I do believe it's authentic. However, I don't know what the triangle could represent. Has anyone seen this dial before or know what the triangle means?

Thanks very much for your help.

IMG_3877_zps9bhj1fz1.jpg

luch_2209_03.JPG

·
Registered
889 Posts
Interesting, unfortunately I can't help you on that. I have searching, reading and looking the pictures of 2209 from last two years and I never came across anyhing like this before.

Hopefully maybe Shandy, chascomm or Geoff adams may have the clue.

I can't wait, another interesting thread to read

·
Registered
889 Posts
Honestly, I think just their logo. Could be early design of dial and been removed later during Pressing .

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I have been trying to see if there is any significance of the triangle in Soviet history as I thought it might be something commemorative but so far have found nothing, will keep digging though!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Scroll down to Zarja and you will see an isosceles right triangle for their factory markings for the Penza watch factory, admittedly with letters within it but I wonder if there is a connection?

russian_logos

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt it since a Luch of this vintage would have probably been produced at the Minsk Watch factory with a pentagon logo:

logo-minsk2.jpg

But good research, my friend! I tend to think (fear) it might be what UnknownSekonda suggested -- that this is just part of the dial design (perhaps experimental or original or whatever) and nothing more. I really hope that's not the case as it would be a rather anticlimactic result, but the lack of any information seems to indicate it might be a much more simple explanation than I had thought. Surely if the sellers had a truly special watch, at least one of them would have advertised it as such. But as it stands, neither seller mentioned the triangle in their listing, and one watch sold for about $75 (not atypical for a "regular" Luch in this condition) while the other went unsold at $149. That, to me, suggests nothing that special.

Though I sincerely hope someone proves me wrong!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I doubt it since a Luch of this vintage would have probably been produced at the Minsk Watch factory with a pentagon logo:

View attachment 3908434

But good research, my friend! I tend to think (fear) it might be what UnknownSekonda suggested -- that this is just part of the dial design (perhaps experimental or original or whatever) and nothing more. I really hope that's not the case as it would be a rather anticlimactic result, but the lack of any information seems to indicate it might be a much more simple explanation than I had thought. Surely if the sellers had a truly special watch, at least one of them would have advertised it as such. But as it stands, neither seller mentioned the triangle in their listing, and one watch sold for about $75 (not atypical for a "regular" Luch in this condition) while the other went unsold at $149. That, to me, suggests nothing that special.

Though I sincerely hope someone proves me wrong!
Well If you can't find the information about this, I assume you have quite a unique dial. It could many reason. error printing possibly? Who knows. I doubt anyone here can solve this mystery triangle logo for very long time.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FWIW, I also have a Luch 2209 with green dial and a triangle on the dial. Never paid any attention to it previously, though.
Uhhhhhhh....green dial?? I'm not sure what's more unique, the triangle on the dial or the color of that sunburst!

To my knowledge, there were only four basic color variation with this dial design: silver sunburst, golden sunburst, black sunburst, and matte white. Here are mine:

FullSizeRender-10.jpg

FullSizeRender-9.jpg

Here is a Luch catalog from 1972 for reference (course, there are no triangles to be found). I suppose the golden dial can appear greenish under certain lighting conditions....are you sure yours isn't gold? If it's definitely green, then we have an even bigger mystery on our hands. Come to think of it, though, the second photo I included in the original post looks.......well....kind of green! I guess it's hard to tell between these shades unless you see the watch in person. And not being color blind helps, I'm sure :roll:

Thanks for your contribution, Topi :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, I can only describe my watch as having a green dial and I took the second one in your opening post ot be similar.

The picture I showed this morning was indoors, hand-held in mixed lightning so I took a couple of quick shots in more neutral lighting to get the dial colour show better.

DSC_5586_b.jpg

DSC_5587_b.jpg

Topi

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is fascinating, Topi, thank you for sharing! This makes me believe these dials were perhaps a limited production run, maybe at the beginning of manufacturing, and that these dials with the triangle (as well as those with the green color) were subsequently abandoned in favor of the triangle-less design and the four "traditional" colors more commonly available as I have shown above.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Well, I have coffee, Beethoven and my iPad this morning and I am determined to try and find out the story behind the triangle! By the way, that green is stunningly beautiful. My mind though goes to wondering what it would look like in a Chrome case with dark green croc strap! Having said that a dark green croc on the gold tone would look spectacular as well!

·
Registered
483 Posts
If I remember correctly, I've bought this watch from Bulgaria. Anyway, the caseback is inscribed with some Cyrillic text and the date 9. VII. 1971. It helps in determining a date before which the watch was made (barring a franken with caseback from another watch). The movement is gold-coloured with the Minsk watch factory logo.

Actually, in reality the green dial looks like something that's spent a bit too long in the vicinity of #1 reactor of Chernobyl. It's rather 70's, to put it mildly.

Topi

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Ok, I am like a dog with a bone with the Penza link and a brief addition on the timeline of the Penza (Zarja) watch factory courtesy of Russian Times website shows that between 1954-55 Penza watch factory assisted in the establishment of the Minsk watch factory home of Luch, see the link below and scroll down the timeline to see this.

zarja_history

Now, it's pure supposition on my part but I wonder if the Triangle dial was part of a commemorative ( and we know so well how the Soviet watch brands like to honour Soviet accomplishments) edition to honour Penza's part in establishing the Minsk factory?

Think about it, this is their top line model and very elegant so instead of lots of rhetoric on the dial a simple addition of the Penza trademark sans lettering would be an elegant way to commemorate the connection between factories?

It makes sense to me, what do you think?

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, I have coffee, Beethoven and my iPad this morning and I am determined to try and find out the story behind the triangle!
Weapons for success!! :-!

If I remember correctly, I've bought this watch from Bulgaria. Anyway, the caseback is inscribed with some Cyrillic text and the date 9. VII. 1971. It helps in determining a date before which the watch was made (barring a franken with caseback from another watch). The movement is gold-coloured with the Minsk watch factory logo.
Actually, in reality the green dial looks like something that's spent a bit too long in the vicinity of #1 reactor of Chernobyl. It's rather 70's, to put it mildly.
Ha! I guess that takes away any doubt of the dial color.

All this information is great -- I was wondering about the watch factory logo on the movement. Every little bit helps, thanks! Do you know what the inscription says? If not, there is a great thread that can help you decipher it. I wonder if the message can offer any clues...

Now, it's pure supposition on my part but I wonder if the Triangle dial was part of a commemorative ( and we know so well how the Soviet watch brands like to honour Soviet accomplishments) edition to honour Penza's part in establishing the Minsk factory?
I did not know that, shandy!! It's an interesting connection, and the best lead so far, I think. I would say the logo matches perfectly, but then again, it's just a triangle :-d So not hard to match. Though it is pointing down, which is less common, I think -- and not equilateral, but seemingly the same dimensions of the Penza logo. I think you may be onto something here!

It would make sense, then, that this commemorative dial was produced in limited numbers at the start of the factory (circa 1956), then later replaced in favor of the more common dial designs without the triangle or the radioactive color.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Topi

I'm going to Bulgaria, Sofia in mid summer. I hopefully in luck, i might find some interesting watches like the original poster have !

Reactions: shandy

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I'm going to Bulgaria, Sofia in mid summer. I hopefully in luck, i might find some interesting watches like the original poster have !
if my experience of the watches I have purchased on eBay from Bulgaria is anything to go by then you should find some cracking watches!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts