WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just thought I would share (in pictures) my most recent restoration of a Sekonda Cal 2209 that I bought for my collection from the Bay, this watch was advertised as a "Spares or Repair" and was not working but the Dial and case were in good order and the Balance was good. Anyway here goes..

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

This is the watch upon arrival and it looks good visually but is as described by the Seller, the watch is indeed stuck and it wasn't just down to it needing a service, anyway down to work

Clock Wall clock Fashion accessory Gauge Home accessories

Bezel removed and Hands off ready to De-Case

Watch Fashion accessory

As you can see this 2209 has the moveable stud carrier which will make timing up the watch a lot easier

Watch Watch accessory Gauge Fashion accessory

Dial off and movement is now dial side up to take out the keyless works

Fashion accessory Watch Metal

Keyless works now out, now time to start on the reverse

Fashion accessory Watch Metal Jewellery

Ratchet wheels and Plate removed exposing the Mainspring Barrel and the little retaining bar for the Stem Set that is a feature of the 2209

Fashion accessory Watch Metal

Train Wheel Bridge now removed exposing the double layered series of wheels that the 2209 has, but the problem still has not been found

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch Material property

Now down to the 2nd Bridge and it is here I find the 1st of 3 faults a fracture to the jewel on the plate

Fashion accessory

Gear Metal Fashion accessory Brass Rim

Finally one fault found!! one of the wheels has sheered off it's teeth

Fashion accessory Watch Material property Metal Watch accessory

Revolver

Fashion accessory Macro photography Silver Jewelry making Metal

I also notice that the Mainspring Barrel Cover is slightly bent inwards indicating pressure from a tool perhaps from a past service

The Plate is now clear with the parts in my tray ready to be put through cleaning

Green

I will probably have to do this in 3 parts, so part 2 is now following

Best Wishes

Darren

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'd love to see the rest of the process.

Also a small question, the 23 jewels inscription seems a little crooked in comparison to others i saw (On 24 and 26mm movements though), is that regular?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi SinanjuStein,

Part 2 is already onsite and am looking at completing part 3 today

Ref your question

I think this could be down to the manufacturing process as a great many of these watches were produced along with the Calibre so stamping dies could possibly get a little worn before they were replaced, although I am not entirely sure
of my answer here, Maybe Mroatman could shed a little more light on this theory...

Best Wishes

Darren

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Now this is useful. I have also just bought one of these but with a black dial. From the bay "spares repairs" fully wound. It runs for a few seconds with a shake then the balance wheel stops rather suddenly as if there is a problem with the escapement. I'll take a look, thanks for the post.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
I think this could be down to the manufacturing process as a great many of these watches were produced along with the Calibre so stamping dies could possibly get a little worn before they were replaced, although I am not entirely sure
of my answer here, Maybe Mroatman could shed a little more light on this theory...
Completely agree. Almost every movement stamp is a bit unique, likely due to parts wearing out or being replaced. Even within the "SU" branded movements, there are variations.

A while back, I began to catalogue all known movement stamps and quickly became overwhelmed. There are some 6-8 'standard' variants, then countless sub-variations. For example, here's another "SU" variant with slightly smaller text:

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Fashion accessory

Darren's movement is entirely authentic, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Thanks for the answer. Didn't think that the movement was unauthentic for a second though, just the stamping looked unusual.

Guess i to see generally uniform stamps on movements.

Reactions: mroatman

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too have seen various types of stamping on movements in the 2209 Calibre including small letters, Larger letter and some with the Luch mark on the Gear Train Plate, as there seems to be no set method for stamping, I wonder if so many variants could point to an unofficial way of dating a movement...

Best wishes

Darren

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
As you can probably tell I'm quite late to this party but, having recently acquired and old 2209 (none running) movement I've just started to strip, this thread (and subsequent parts) will be very helpful. Thanks to daz2e for a detailed illustration of the movement during it's disassembly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.