Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Here is part 2

Green Technology Electronics Electronic component Electronic device

Fishing reel

Button Fastener Auto part Metal

The parts have all been cleaned ultrasonically and have been through 3 rinses as well and then dried and my first job and the one that's the most fiddly I think to do is fit the Incabloc on both the Balance and the Plate, oil is also applied at this stage. I use 3 different oils and 3 different greases for the process (Moebius 9010,9020 and Microgliss D5 along with 8301,8207 AND 9415) 9415 is a synthetic grease designed for oiling Pallet Jewels only, it is applied grease form but liquidates slightly upon application to the stone thus keeping the oil in one place so it is not going everywhere. The Mainspring and Barrel Arbour are also fitted back into the Barrel, I have decided to fit the original Barrel Cover back on but have cleaned a replacement just in case ( I do like to keep watches as original as possible with their respective parts but sometimes this simply cannot be done)

I now fit the 1st gear which goes through the plate and is held in place by friction from the Cannon Pinion ( I notice that the Cannon Pinion is a little bit loose so this will be removed a little later and tightened

Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory

The Mainspring Barrel is now put in place and the train of wheels are also put in place ready for their respective bridges

Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Revolver

Replacement bridge has now been fitted to the small wheels and now ready for the fitting of the gear for the seconds hand and the larger wheel

Watch Fashion accessory Clock Quartz clock

These 2 in place

Watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch accessory Metal

All the plates have now been fitted along with the Pallet and it's Bridge all the wheels have been tested for movement prior to the pallet being fitted, now to tighten up the Cannon Pinion

Screw Machine tool Machine Nut Tool

The Cannon Pinion has to have sufficient friction in order for it to move the Hr/Min hands and this procedure needs to be done extremely carefully to avoid damage to the Pinion

Metal

Here are the parts that had to be replaced ( in the end I had to replace the Barrel Cover as this was another fault that had stopped the watch)

And here is the finished Movement, all working but is currently on test before fitting which will have to be Part 3

Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Metal

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch Metal

Best Wishes

Darren

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Seele,

Thanks for the very interesting question..

I think the movement is a brilliant design that I think can rival or even surpass some Swiss Calibres and does not in all honesty get the credit/merit that it deserves, Yes there could have been improvements
like machining the Balance Plate or look at better jeweling for the Balance so that they could do away with the little brass shim which is a common feature on both this Calibre
and the 19 jewel Cal 2609.HA. indeed I know of some watchmakers/Horologists who frown at the mere mention of Russian watches and list them alongside pin pallet movements
as inferior to their Swiss counterparts, I see it differently though as Russian Calibres along with the cheap Pin Pallet movements (often found in Smiths/Ingersoll et al) form the very fabric of watch/Pocketwatch history
alongside the Swiss brands and in a world where the watch enthusiast seeks out ever larger chunkier designs with several different complications and a pricetag to match it's complex design they should also make room for
for a 2209 with it's elegant super slim design and clutter free dial as good examples of this watch will become much harder to find...

Best Wishes

Darren

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Darren,

Your experience on the frontline, so to speak, makes your verdict more than good enough to quote! My watchmaker here in Sydney does not mind working on Russian movements: after all he was first trained to work on BFG pin-pallets, when they were very commonly in use.

I think a lot of watchmakers who have poor opinions on Russian/"Soviet" movements tend to be those who imagined their deficiencies for not having even seen one to begin with. Being the owner of a fair few watches powered by this movement, I think with minimum upgrades, this 2209 remains a viable piece of machinery for powering subsequent generation of watches. But as we all know, the powers-that-be at Minsk appear to run the company in a baffling manner; from where I stand it could well be able to power countless Luch models to come, in addition to being a viable proprietary movement for manufacturers aiming to create elegant, classic, and timeless timepieces. In the mean time, the Indian-made HMT Sona might well be an acceptable substitute, if you can put up with its haphazard quality control...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Seele,

I agree

I think the 2209 would be a brilliant movement to use in any future revamp of the Deluxe or Vympel, but I also believe that Russian Brands should be made more accessible through retail outlets rather than just internet based selling
this would then bring in more avid collectors leading to more investment and more attractive watches at realistic prices that all collectors could afford...

Best Wishes

Darren

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Darren,

Sekonda was probably the biggest distributor of Russian/Soviet watches before the dissolution, and being a distributor also means having an extensive customer support system. Other watch manufacturers could somehow afford to have such support system established internationally, thus making their products better known, and easier to acquire.

Having a product support system does not invariably mean having to get the service technicians extensively trained in the factory: here the Swiss system of having a significant proportion of watch brands using proprietary, off-the-rack movements has the edge: once a technician is familiar with the major ETA movements he would be able to tackle a multitude of watches, and the same parts pool can be used as well.

With a firm like Luch, it is less straight-forward to establish such a system, even if they have reactivated the production of the 2209 and offers it to other makers. It also explains why Luch has taken steps to use proprietary movements as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Seele,

A great answer, I never looked at it that way, maybe Luch, Raketa, Vostock et al could promote their watches via more traditional media methods such as Tv or paper

Best wishes

Darren

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Wonderful to look at. Might start working on a couple of my movements as well.

Need to get some tooling to properly dis-assemble my Raketa 2627, that currently has a jammed stem release button.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wonderful to look at. Might start working on a couple of my movements as well.

Need to get some tooling to properly dis-assemble my Raketa 2627, that currently has a jammed stem release button.
Cousins do some great sets that would get you started...

Ref - The Stem

Is the stem coming out when you try to set the watch or is it jammed in and will not move..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Cousins do some great sets that would get you started...

Ref - The Stem

Is the stem coming out when you try to set the watch or is it jammed in and will not move..

Basically the stem doesn't lock inside, since the button is stuck. I can put it inside fully, but it won't stay in.

From what i've read so far, i had to remove the dial and get to the stem holding part of the movement, disassemble it and get it to work properly.

But i currently lack the tools to remove the dial without damaging it.

Reactions: daz2e

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Basically the stem doesn't lock inside, since the button is stuck. I can put it inside fully, but it won't stay in.

From what i've read so far, i had to remove the dial and get to the stem holding part of the movement, disassemble it and get it to work properly.

But i currently lack the tools to remove the dial without damaging it.
Looks like the stem set has been pushed out and is also pushing the setting lever spring up thus not allowing the set lever to engage the slot on the stem, you can go in through the back but you will have to remove the mainspring barrel bridge and mainspring barrel to access the setting lever, it is a little more tricky but might save you removing the dial especially if the watch is date display..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Looks like the stem set has been pushed out and is also pushing the setting lever spring up thus not allowing the set lever to engage the slot on the stem, you can go in through the back but you will have to remove the mainspring barrel bridge and mainspring barrel to access the setting lever, it is a little more tricky but might save you removing the dial especially if the watch is date display..

Will give it a try. But i still lack the proper tools to do that either.

Any tips on what type of screwdrivers should i get? (Got a movement holder and a set of basic tweezers, not much else).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will give it a try. But i still lack the proper tools to do that either.

Any tips on what type of screwdrivers should i get? (Got a movement holder and a set of basic tweezers, not much else).
To get you started look to getting a couple of Burgeon screwdrivers these are the best on the market 0.5mm is handy to have but look at the 1.00mm or 1.20mm or if you want to make the investment get a small set on a revolving stand, these are good value. Stay away from the aluminium blades they don't last long, for tweezers look to get a pair with superfine tips like size 5A

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Darren

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Hi Seele,

A great answer, I never looked at it that way, maybe Luch, Raketa, Vostock et al could promote their watches via more traditional media methods such as Tv or paper
Darren,

More in my line of work I can say how things were in the camera field before electronics - and digital - killed of most of the camera manufacturers:

Back then there were many smaller manufacturers such as Petri etc, and they were indeed sold internationally by local importers/distributors. Often they were quite small in scale compared to those representing major brands, so the repairs were farmed out to independent repair firms. If someone outside Russia or Belarus decided to import and distribute Luch, Vostok etc, they would have to get the support system established locally, then it would make sense. The Russian manufacturers could advertise internationally all the want, but having to rely on mail order to acquire the products, and the factory service departments for support, would be very off-putting to prospective customers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow! This post was great!!! I have a few Luch 2209's I have been hesitant to pull apart until now. Thanks for the confidence and the fab photo's!
No problem Will glad you liked it and I hope that you can get yours going.. Part 3 has now been photographed and I will post it up soon

Best wishes

Darren

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Darren,

More in my line of work I can say how things were in the camera field before electronics - and digital - killed of most of the camera manufacturers:

Back then there were many smaller manufacturers such as Petri etc, and they were indeed sold internationally by local importers/distributors. Often they were quite small in scale compared to those representing major brands, so the repairs were farmed out to independent repair firms. If someone outside Russia or Belarus decided to import and distribute Luch, Vostok etc, they would have to get the support system established locally, then it would make sense. The Russian manufacturers could advertise internationally all the want, but having to rely on mail order to acquire the products, and the factory service departments for support, would be very off-putting to prospective customers.
Hi Seele,

Well wildlife photography is my other great passion , you can view my pictures at Flickr under daz 1900. I spoke to a couple of collectors I work with today, one of them has over 60 watches with over half of these made up of brands that are not very well known. I asked if he had heard of Luch,Vostock,Raketa etc.. And he had not and also did not know that Sekonda was used to market their products here in the west, I therefore directed him to their sites where he may make a purchase

Many thanks Seele for taking an interest in my post

Best wishes

Darren

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.