Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Damasko

Votes: 34 85.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I was very much tempted to pull the trigger on Damasko DC56 when I found out that Lum-tec has released a limited edition super combat B3.
So now I am in a dilemma which one to get. Hope to hear more advice/opinions that will help to reach a decision!

file_15_84.jpg
jzWMPqO.jpg
10294362_10152029952116373_4921927406003554377_n.jpg
scb3-cb_resize_1.jpg

Lum-tec Super Combat B3
  • Case: solid raw titanium
  • Movement: premium handwind rhodium finished ETA 6497-1 with polished gears, Geneva stripes and blued screws
  • Limited Edition: Only 75 pieces produced
  • Price: USD 1,695

Lum Tec, LLC

DamaskoDC562L.jpg
produktfoto-DC56-01.jpg
pic11.jpg

Damasko DC56
  • Case: Ice-hardened stainless steel
  • Movement: Valjoux 7750, self-winding, mechanical movement
  • Non-limited edition
  • Price: USD 2,000

Which one would you get and why?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I don't like many Lum Tecs, but that's a pretty cool looking watch.

But these two are hugely different sizes. The Lum-Tec is a 45mm case, 55mm L2L, and only 12mm thick.

The DC5X series are 40mm cases, with a compact 47mm L2L span and ~14mm thick.

Depending on your wrist size, one or the other will fit you better.

The Damasko case is loads more durable, not to mention the anti-magnetic rating and cool crown / pusher tech the Damasko has.

But these two are apples / oranges size-wise, not to mention one is a chronograph and one isn't. What are you really after?

·
Premium Member
22,351 Posts
I prefer the Damasko, but you need to be aware that the ice-hardened case can be permanently magnetized, and while the soft iron core prevents the movement in the Damasko from being affected, it can magnetize your other mechanical watches nearby.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I prefer the Damasko, but you need to be aware that the ice-hardened case can be permanently magnetized, and while the soft iron core prevents the movement in the Damasko from being affected, it can magnetize your other mechanical watches nearby.
Wow, never knew that about the ice-hardened case. Anybody had a chance to test this and see at what distance this would affect other watches? Once I decide to get a Damasko, I may need to keep it in a separate watch box away from my main box.

·
Premium Member
34,466 Posts
If you see both in person, the Damasko, no contest.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I would also like to know more about this. Is it a real danger to your other watches?

·
Registered
15,834 Posts
Both good quality seems to me, based on looks the Lum-Tec, don't much care for the Damasko aesthetic of that model. Selfishly wish the Lum-Tec was smaller . . .

·
Premium Member
22,351 Posts
Damasko. Never heard of or experienced a magnetized ice-hardened anything.
Let me reply to your original post about watches made of ferrous metals. 316 stainless steel, which is commonly used in watch cases has an austenitic crystalline structure that makes it nonmagnetic, so even though it is a ferrous metal, i.e., containing iron, it is not magnetic.

http://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article - Magnetism in Stainless Steel.pdf

If you read the Damasko patent on the use of ice-hardened steel in watch cases, you'll see that ice-hardening changes the crystalline structure (to martensite) and makes the steel magnetic, and that's why it isn't typically used in watch cases. It has to be paired with a soft iron core in order to protect the movement within the watch, and that was the novelty that allowed Damasko to be awarded a patent for the use of this process in watchmaking.

Reactions: harryst

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Damasko, for sure.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
$1700 for a Lüm-tec with Unitas movement?!!! I would go with the Damasko without hesitation.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Let me reply to your original post about watches made of ferrous metals. 316 stainless steel, which is commonly used in watch cases has an austenitic crystalline structure that makes it nonmagnetic, so even though it is a ferrous metal, i.e., containing iron, it is not magnetic.

http://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article - Magnetism in Stainless Steel.pdf

If you read the Damasko patent on the use of ice-hardened steel in watch cases, you'll see that ice-hardening changes the crystalline structure (to martensite) and makes the steel magnetic, and that's why it isn't typically used in watch cases. It has to be paired with a soft iron core in order to protect the movement within the watch, and that was the novelty that allowed Damasko to be awarded a patent for the use of this process in watchmaking.
Yeah, I apologize for the wording of my first post. I looked into it and saw that ice-hardening is a process that changes the structure, and therefore could impart some magnetism, and so I changed my post's wording.

But induced and non-induced magnetism is all around us in this electric and electronic age. I'd be curious if the induced magnetism of the ice hardening would produce a field that is even close to what any watch would normally experience while being worn. My gut feel is there is no threat of an ice-hardened watch to affect a nearby watch, or even one stacked on top. But without measurements, I can't say.

But from this thread as reference, here are some common household items and their magnetic field strengths. I would guess an ice-hardened watch would have a field strength less than these:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f239/question-m-amperes-per-meter-284228.html

Typical magnetic field strength of household appliances at various distances
Electric appliance
Measurement from 3 cm distance (µT)
Measurement from 30 cm distance (µT)
measurement from 1 m distance (µT)
Hair dryer
6 – 2000
0.01 – 7
0.01 – 0.03
Electric shaver
15 – 1500
0.08 – 9
0.01 – 0.03
Vacuum cleaner
200 – 800
2 – 20
0.13 – 2
Fluorescent light
40 – 400
0.5 – 2
0.02 – 0.25
Microwave oven
73 – 200
4 – 8
0.25 – 0.6
Portable radio
16 – 56
< 0.01
Electric oven
1 – 50
0.15 – 0.5
0.01 – 0.04
Washing machine
0.8 – 50
0.15 – 3
0.01 – 0.15
Iron
8 – 30
0.12 – 0.3
0.01 – 0.03
Dishwasher
3.5 – 20
0.6 – 3
0.07 – 0.3
Computer
0.5 – 30
< 0.01
Refrigerator
0.5 – 1.7
0.01 – 0.25
<0.01
Colour TV
2.5 - 50
0.04 – 2
0.01 – 0.15
With most household appliances the magnetic field strength at a distance of 30 cm is well below the guideline limit for the general public of 100 µT.

1 (T) tesla is equivalent to 10,000 (or 104) gauss (G), used in the CGS system. Thus, 10 G = 1 mT (1 millitesla)​

·
Registered
15,834 Posts
$1700 for a Lüm-tec with Unitas movement?!!! I would go with the Damasko without hesitation.
Understand but also disagree with the rationale. I'd buy the Lum-Tec if I liked the look (I do) for even more (I've done the same with other watches that I was chastised for), but wouldn't touch the Damasko no matter if it was on 80% discount sale - er, maybe buy it and immediately resell for a (hopefully) profit . . . . again, though, understood - to each their own. . . . .

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Understand but also disagree with the rationale. I'd buy the Lum-Tec if I liked the look (I do) for even more (I've done the same with other watches that I was chastised for), but wouldn't touch the Damasko no matter if it was on 80% discount sale - er, maybe buy it and immediately resell for a (hopefully) profit . . . . again, though, understood - to each their own. . . . .

I guess it all depends of incomes and money at your disposal (looking at your signature, it's obvious we do not have the same ; )). When I spend $2000 (or close) on a watch, I want more than just a pretty face, which I admit, the Lüm-Tec has. Titanium doesn't make it a $1700 and nor do the fact that it's a limited edition. I find that the price of some micro brands keeps on going up, and you don't get more watch with their higher price. I cannot blame them for trying to play that game, but when you get in these price ranges, you have serious competitors from well established companies.

As a good comparison, I paid a bit more than $1000 for this Swiss Made, DLC'd Titanium LE of 25 (not 75) with 1000m WR, mesh bracelet and ETA 2824. See, at that price, I saw a lot of value in it and I was comfortable with the price. I just can't see the value of the Lüm-Tec at the price they ask for. Like you said, to each their own. ;-)

·
Premium Member
22,351 Posts
Yeah, I apologize for the wording of my first post. I looked into it and saw that ice-hardening is a process that changes the structure, and therefore could impart some magnetism, and so I changed my post's wording.

But induced and non-induced magnetism is all around us in this electric and electronic age. I'd be curious if the induced magnetism of the ice hardening would produce a field that is even close to what any watch would normally experience while being worn. My gut feel is there is no threat of an ice-hardened watch to affect a nearby watch, or even one stacked on top. But without measurements, I can't say.

But from this thread as reference, here are some common household items and their magnetic field strengths. I would guess an ice-hardened watch would have a field strength less than these:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f239/question-m-amperes-per-meter-284228.html
Again, the issue is that ice-hardened stainless steel can be permanently magnetized, it's not just a matter of field strengths (which decays with distance) but also duration of exposure. But, most people tend to place their watches quite close to each other in the watch box, and they are left there for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
15,834 Posts
I guess it all depends of incomes and money at your disposal (looking at your signature, it's obvious we do not have the same ; )). When I spend $2000 (or close) on a watch, I want more than just a pretty face, which I admit, the Lüm-Tec has. Titanium doesn't make it a $1700 and nor do the fact that it's a limited edition. I find that the price of some micro brands keeps on going up, and you don't get more watch with their higher price. I cannot blame them for trying to play that game, but when you get in these price ranges, you have serious competitors from well established companies.

As a good comparison, I paid a bit more than $1000 for this Swiss Made, DLC'd Titanium LE of 25 (not 75) with 1000m WR, mesh bracelet and ETA 2824. See, at that price, I saw a lot of value in it and I was comfortable with the price. I just can't see the value of the Lüm-Tec at the price they ask for. Like you said, to each their own. ;-)

Yes, no worries, all good points, I'm not rich just way older than you with most of life's financial responsibilities behind me I'm thinking, so that may have something to do with disposable income variation. We all make decisions that are right for us (well, hopefully) and the "look" of a watch is my primary driver, not what powers it, which I guess is my main point if not stated succinctly. Nice watch - I like that look btw. I almost sprung for a Sailfish but in the end decided it would be redundant in my stash. Thx for comments!! . . .

Reactions: DM71
1 - 20 of 37 Posts