WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, I know of some of the ways lume is applied to dials and what it looks like. so whats the best method and what watch company does it better?
1.) lume that is stamped onto the dial. thats ocean7. it leaves a jagged edge and a mottled apperance. other companies do this also like marathon.
2) stamped then hand applied. that would be uts.
3) incapsulated. omega, tag heuer, rolex, citizen, seiko. looks great.
4)incapsulated and sealed. has a shiny apperance. still its tag, omega etc. and the maxi-marine. which company has the best looking lumed hands and indices? not its brightness, just how it looks overall on the watch.

·
6,880 Posts
To tell you the truth, ive never noticed anything except how bright it is. Im going to be looking now though.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe some comparison pics of the lume in daylight would help?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think Seiko has figured out what we want in lume. My Luminox using tritum vials so it is not as bright but last all night. My JSAR light up like a candle and fades.

I have read many threads of re-applying and I would be interested in how that done.

My 2 centavos.

Aloha

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
incapsulated lume.

stamped and applied lume.

incapsulated and sealed lume

stamped lume

·
Registered
837 Posts
Omega and Rolex nt

nt

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The lume in my Tutima DI 300 goes all night (well almost) and is the encapsulated technique. The Enzos are applied to the dial directly and also last forever.

Sorry about no photos but I don't own a digital camera.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I never really noticed, but the majority of watches I've owned have been Seiko, so I really wouldn't have noticed the difference. The only watch I've had that didn't have the greatest lume was a Tissot Seastar.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Personally I like the look of the flat lume better than the shiny in most cases. To me, one of the best looking lume jobs I've ever seen is on the Stowa watches. The FO and airman series are really beautifully done as is the Prodiver.

Also, on colored dials I really like the lume to be outlined in black.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
BTW, is it stamped or screen printed? I've always figured the thinner application were probably screen printed...

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Best lume I've ever seen is on the Orient Star 300m. That uses applied markers (or "encapsulated" as Sean describes). Not shiny or glossy. Just a lot of lume.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Great Info, My question is :do the technique affects the lume duration, or the quantity applied to the dial?

·
Registered
280 Posts
At one point I swore off any watch that didn't have tritium lume but had to give it up since the selection was way too small. Anyway I think the UN Maxi Marine Diver has amazing lume. It's definitely encapsulated and I think it's sealed but I'm not sure I understand the term...

Chelly

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Well whether O7 is fuzzy lume or not(with my binoc viewer I did not see a really rough edge), my O7 LM6 GMT PVD SE( damn I love all those letters and numbers)has lume that not only really lasts until daylight, but it is a really neat blue color. I will try for some lume shots without the UV lamp trick.

paul

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well, as far as lume goes, I don't care how it is applied. As long as it lasts through the night. I wear my watches while I sleep, and it is the first thing I look at if I happen to wake up, so lume definitely matters to me. I think the Zilla lume is hard to beat. The Enzo lume is beautiful!!! I can still see the lume on the Enzo in the early morning hours, but it is not even close to what the Zilla brings to the table. The only beef I have with the Zilla's lume is that the hands aren't evenly covered. The edges are, but the middle of the minute hand has noticeably less lume, which can also be seen in the day. At first it bugged the piss out of me. I got used to it though, and since I enjoy torturing the heck out of this watch, it doesn't really matter to me anymore. I'm still hella impressed by the lume on it!!!

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
BTW, is it stamped or screen printed? I've always figured the thinner application were probably screen printed...
The dials are screen printed. For those who've followed Bob Frazier's dial- and watch-making adventures on another forum, it's quite an involved process for an individual (vice a company who presumably have all the tools needed and more).

I like vintage watches and while I do appreciate the occasional lume-filled applied markers or surrounds (a la SD, Auto-zilla or Capeland S XXL), I like the look of screened dials:

And I'm very interested in how guys like Kent Parks do their (presumably) hand made dials. The lume on this one is very thick, as this photo hints at.

I don't think any method is inherently better or worse, it's a matter of the quality with which the work is done. The lume on my modern Ploprof replacement dial is excellent, but seems to be of the screened type (at least it looks the same as my O7, Yao, Stowa, Sinn, Precista, etc. dials).

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
actually they are both. some are screened in, some get stamped. its really easy to tell which ones are stamped. you can see the paper edges outside of the lume. I tried the silk screen process once. problem I came across was the lume is minimual at best. uts has theres stamped, then mr. spinner hand applies more lume. I'll dig up some pics of screened and stamped. the stamped process is used for large production numbers to keep costs down on the cost of the watch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts