WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just received my Moonphase.

I already have a Fireman.

When I first received my Moonphase the lume was not very bright. It was much duller than my Fireman

It is now 2 days later and the lume is as bright as my Fireman.

Does the lume get brighter as it gets warmed on my wrist with a little body heat or a little agitation now it is being worn ?

Is there another reason ?

·
Banned
1,600 Posts
I had the same thought about my mad cow the first few times I checked the glow. But as you indicated, now it seems to be on the same brightness level as my EMII diver... Good question though, is this a technical manifestation or just subjective impression... :-s

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I dunno Charles. It is T 25, but there are a lot of them, 49 I think.

They are concentrated though, to the 4 numerals and the moon and stars.

According to my email, my Night Train comes Wednesday so I will pay careful attention to the lume.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Did you compair them side by side out of the box when you first recived it? Just wondering:think:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I first got my Moonphase I had it side by side with my Fireman.

The fireman was MUCH brighter.

I could not take a lume shot of th Moonphase as it just was not "Glowing" enough.

Now it is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had a reply to an e-mail I sent to the Ball Watch Company in Switzerland.

I asked them the question on Friday and today (Monday) I got their reply. That is what I call excellent service.

I have copied it and paste it below .....

>>>
To answer your question it is normal that the “Moon” symbol is a little bit less bright than the other luminescent elements because we had to add a thin painting coat to give the moon its colour and this thin coat subdues a little bit the luminescence of the micro gas tubes, so when you took your watch for the first time, maybe the “Moon” symbol was not completely showing off and when you took it for the second time it was completely showing off, so it looked brighter.

In any case the wrist movement or the warmth does not have any effect on the watch luminescence.

<<<

However that is NOT what I found.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

Another possibility I guess is that my watch was on a flight immediately before I received it and was therefore at 30,000 feet altitude, but in the passenger pressurised cabin.
Could the pressure difference have temporarily altered the gas properties ?

Anyone got any other ideas, observations or comments ?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The good news is Bob gets his tomorrow and we can get an answer from him as the Moon was my first Ball.

Bob...

·
Registered
440 Posts
However that is NOT what I found.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.
I've not heard of any similar instances. The gas tube luminescence should be constant.

Another possibility I guess is that my watch was on a flight immediately before I received it and was therefore at 30,000 feet altitude, but in the passenger pressurised cabin.
Could the pressure difference have temporarily altered the gas properties ?
The gas tubes are a closed system, thus outside pressure changes would have no effect whatsoever.
Anyone got any other ideas, observations or comments ?
One possibility is that your watch may have received more direct light immediately before you went into darkness. The phosphors in the Ball gas tubes will not store light as efficiently as luminous paints, but it is possible that they would glow more brightly if exposed to light directly before entering darkness. The effect would wear off quite quickly.

Regards,
Jeremy Hogan
Ball Watch Company

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
This has been an interesting discussion for me, as I've not experienced what some of you have.

The Ball watches that my wife and I have(and have had), have all been constant from Day 1, in regards to the brightness of their tritium tubes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Jeremy.

I think you have found the answer.

The watch was in a closed box for at least one week .... possibly even a month.

I opened the box at night at home when i received it.

It was not exposed to daylight at all until the next day.

Are you saying that Sunlight also affects the brightness ?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
After watching this thread develop, I just wanted to weigh in here and say that I have had 14 different Ball watches for years at a time in all types of conditions and I can say with a degree of (non-scientific) certainty that the lume from the tritium tubes does NOT and has never varied based on certain environmental conditions. The lume on all of my Balls has been constant and dependable with, I'll add, no noticeable degradation in lume after 5 years.

My personal experience only--based on observations made of 14 different Ball models.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The answer to all these cogent questions about the level of ball lume has more to do with the viewer's eyes than the individual watch! Put it on when you go to sleep and when you look at it a few hrs later it'l seem incredibly bright compared to when you looked at it before retiring. The reason is that the iris of your eyes dilates to let more light in as it gets darker, making the lume appear brighter. If you go from bright daylight to a dark room with your Ball the lume will not seem so bright. But hang out in that dark room for awile and it'll seem a lot brighter.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The answer to all these cogent questions about the level of ball lume has more to do with the viewer's eyes than the individual watch! Put it on when you go to sleep and when you look at it a few hrs later it'l seem incredibly bright compared to when you looked at it before retiring. The reason is that the iris of your eyes dilates to let more light in as it gets darker, making the lume appear brighter. If you go from bright daylight to a dark room with your Ball the lume will not seem so bright. But hang out in that dark room for awile and it'll seem a lot brighter.
Hi nimbushopper,

Good point! I had that experience the first night I had my Night Train, and I posted about it--

https://www.watchuseek.com/showpost.php?p=541784&postcount=1

;-)

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
interesting thread,

I don't own a ball watch but I just checked on my KHS Navigator MKII. I took a flashlight and "charged" the H3 vials with it. indeed it appears brighter for a few seconds, but the additional brightness fades quickly (much faster than luminova or similar paint). in fact, it fades within a few seconds down to the degree the lume of a H3 watch normally appears. I wasn't aware of this effect until now, thanks to you guys. oh well, I guess you live and learn...

regards, holger

·
Registered
444 Posts
I too have been a Ball owner for a few years now and I think Nimbushopper has explained it perfectly Charles. Try looking at your watch in early hours of the morning when you've been in the dark yourself for some time. I've even used mine to locate a wall outlet to plug in a fan around 0300. These watches are bright but they're not neon signs either.
Tim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I too have been a Ball owner for a few years now and I think Nimbushopper has explained it perfectly Charles. Try looking at your watch in early hours of the morning when you've been in the dark yourself for some time. I've even used mine to locate a wall outlet to plug in a fan around 0300. These watches are bright but they're not neon signs either.
Tim
Groundhog & Nimbushoper,

Whilst I agree with some of what you say most I don't agree with I am afraid.

I was wearing my Fireman for several days before receiving my Moonphase.

My eyes were the same for looking at both as I put them side by side to compare the lume.

I tried to take a photograph of both together.

The fireman showed up well in the night shot .. the Moonphase was not visible at all.

I had another WIS with me ... Watchfan1.

He saw the same.

Under the bedclothes the first night the Moonphase was disappointing to put it mildly .. I even thought about returning it to Ball to be looked at.

The next night all was perfect.

The watches during the second day had the same treatment and wee exposed to equal amounts of daylight and artificial light.

But now after 24 hours the Moonphase had regained it's lume.

Something here is strange.

My guess is it is still possibly due to one of three effects.

1) Lack of light for weeks in a box
2) Lack of agitation of the gas
3) The Moonphase had been at altitude on a flight and the gas in a sealed tube can alter under those conditions.

Don't get me wrong ... I am VERY happy now with my Moonphase .. I am just wondering why this happened in the beginning.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The fact that your watch was on a flight for awile should not matter at all. First of all, the watch is sealed(as in water ressistant) so the change in air pressure should not have gotten inside of the watch. Second, the GTLS tubes inside the sealed watch are also themselves sealed. So if a presure change did occur inside the watch(left crown unscrewed)it should still not have an effect on them.

Having said that, I cannot come up with an explanation why one model glows brighter than another unless by design, which is quite possible. Can the Ball rep get on the ball here?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Maybe you might be on to something about the gas being agitated. Who knows, my Fireman is very bright as well, almost brighter than my Moonglo which has a T100 rating. It must have looked pretty funny, you and Milos under a blanket looking at your watches.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WE WERE NOT UNDER A BLANKET SEPERATELY OR TOGETHER !

That's how those crazy tales start ......... HELP !!!!! LOL

It was Midnight when I received my watch and it was dark.

I have a room at home with NO windows .. A dark room almost but it is a cloakroom in truth.

I go inside there to take night shots etc in total darkness.

The two watches were just so different in terms of lume ... Now they are equal.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
<snip>
Oh by the way, how big of a nut job am I for continually going into a dark closet to look at my watch??

Let me know when you find out. It'll save me the cost of going to a head-shrinker myself. :-d:-d:-d

Rob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts