WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Casio's PRG-550 is the first Analog-digital ABC watch that has appealed to me in a long time but I've never been pleased with Casio's lume... it's always been, for lack of a better word, crap! I've read that they finally got it right with their Neo-Brite but wanted to hear from some owners of both PRG's as well as any of the G-Shock aviators which have traditional hands...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
How about if we compare the Citizen EcoZilla to the Casio GW-3000?

For the purposes of this test, all exposures except the initial daylight pics and the amplified pics at the end of the test were taken with the same parameters: ISO-800 for 8 seconds @ f/8 with a magnification of 1:2 (half life-size at the sensor).

Here are pics of the two watches being compared:

Both watches were exposed for approximately 30 minutes to 10,000 LUX from a compact fluorescent light source.

Lume at 0 minutes:

After 5 minutes:

After 10 minutes:

After 15 minutes:

After 20 minutes:

After 30 minutes:

After 45 minutes:

After 60 minutes:

After 120 minutes:

And here is an "amplified" picture of the 120 minutes pics as they might appear to the eye if very well adapted to night vision:

Both watches have lume that is visible to well adapted eyes all night. The EcoZilla is brighter, but both are serviceable.

The GW-3000 and GW-4000 watches I have are definitely the best lume Casio have ever put on a watch. Certainly not "killer" lume, but at least you can tell the time at night.

HTH

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
That is one very informative, and brilliantly photographed post- thank you!

Reactions: bezgeo85

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! That's a great test! And very informative... You made what would have been a difficult decision much easier...Thanks for posting that!

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
Great comparison!

Any chance of doing the same vs a Seiko (Superluminova)?
Thanks to all for the compliments! Glad you all find the info useful.

And yes, here is the same comparison, with the same exposure parameters, comparing a Seiko Frankenmonster with Lumibrite (Seiko's version of SuperLuminova) to the same GW-3000:

Both watches in daylight:

After 0 minutes:

After 5 minutes:

After 10 minutes:

After 15 minutes:

After 20 minutes:

After 30 minutes:

After 45 minutes:

After 60 minutes:

After 120 minutes:

And an amplified image to better show what the watches look like to eyes well adapted to night vision:

As you can clearly see, the Seiko lume blows away the Casio lume. Both are, however, still acceptable when viewed with well adapted eyes.

Also, please feel free to copy any of my images you wish and compare them directly with your own. As long as you use the same exposure values, the comparisons should be valid. My pics are sized to 400 x 600 pixels.

HTH

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
How about a comparison of two aviators?

I took pics of a GW-4000 with the same exposure parameters, how does it compare to the GW-3000?

Here are the two in daylight. The GW-4000 on the left and the GW-3000 on the right:

After 0 minutes:

After 5 minutes:

After 10 minutes:

After 15 minutes:

After 20 minutes:

After 30 minutes:

After 45 minutes:

After 60 minutes:

After 120 minutes:

And an "amplified" picture after 120 minutes to simulate viewing with well adapted night vision:

Looks like they're pretty much the same. Perhaps the GW-3000 has a slight edge simply because there is more lume area at the hour markers.

You folks be the judges. ;-)

HTH

·
Sinn Moderator
9,697 Posts
gaijin, all three of your posts are very informative and beautifully photographed! Outstanding work! Thanks for sharing! Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks very much gaijin! Very objectively compared and therefore very useful to anyone looking for lume longevity info.
I remember reading many Citizen vs Seiko lume contests long ago when I was looking to get my first diver, so this brought back memories :)

Quick question -- if I look at the 60 min/120 min snapshots, isn't it obvious the Seiko retains more brightness than the Zilla?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
There's a lot of factors that have to be considered when one is comparing the effective lume between two watches. Not only do you have to define time periods after light exposure, but existing ambient light is crucial to how the human eye perceives lume as well. I can look at the same watch at 2am in the morning in two different bedrooms and depending on the ambient lighting conditions, in one setting, I can easily still tell the time and in another, with more ambient light...it doesn't take a lot...I can't tell the time at all.

The human eye doesn't work exactly like a camera lens so while camera images can give you an idea about lume intensities, they may or may not represent what you'll see in your bedroom when you glance at your watch as you wake up in the middle of the night. However if you took a picture of that watch right at that moment, you still may see the lume show up in the photograph.

That said...as has been shown, the Casio lume is still pretty weak compared to Citizen and Seiko.

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
Thanks very much gaijin! Very objectively compared and therefore very useful to anyone looking for lume longevity info.
I remember reading many Citizen vs Seiko lume contests long ago when I was looking to get my first diver, so this brought back memories :)

Quick question -- if I look at the 60 min/120 min snapshots, isn't it obvious the Seiko retains more brightness than the Zilla?
You're welcome. Always glad to give a little back to the forums. Happy you found the info useful.

As far as the Seiko Frankenmonster vs. Citizen EcoZilla question goes:

Here are the two in daylight:

After 0 minutes:

After 15 minutes:

After 30 minutes:

After 60 minutes:

After 120 minutes:

And the 120 minute pictures "amplified" to simulate view with well adapted night vision:

So, yes. The Seiko is very much brighter than the EcoZilla. The EcoZilla lume is serviceable, but the Seiko lume is just much brighter for much longer.

HTH

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great post, cool seeing all of them side by side! Eventually i want to get an analog with nice lume, but thats for later!

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Very nice! This needs to go to the articles & tutorials section IMO. I think I'll just copy the whole thread. Or if you want tto you can just copy and paste the different posts with the photos in them and post them as a whole in the articles-section of the forum?

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
Very nice! This needs to go to the articles & tutorials section IMO. I think I'll just copy the whole thread. Or if you want tto you can just copy and paste the different posts with the photos in them and post them as a whole in the articles-section of the forum?

cheers, Sedi :)
Thanks! Please feel free to copy the whole thread anywhere you want.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts