WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am drawn to the 656 and am interested in hearing opinions as to whether the lume level is adequate in practical use.

One sense of "adequate" that would be important to me is readability while driving at night. If reading the 656 at night requires one's eyes adjusting to the dark, then night driving with changing light sources and light levels might be problematic for the 656.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
179 Posts
I ensure the lume is readable,if needed, on my 656 (and UX and DA37) by giving the lume a charge from my Fenix P2D Rebel flashlight.This keeps the watch readable through the night if I awake, and should work for driving.Of course a factoe/problem is that your eyes will be adjusting to the changeable light levels and will perceive the lume differently as they do so.The lume is average for it's type. Why not buy a 656 AND a cheap used Seiko, and keep the Seiko in the car for driving? Seikos do have very good lume.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course a factoe/problem is that your eyes will be adjusting to the changeable light levels and will perceive the lume differently as they do so.The lume is average for it's type. Why not buy a 656 AND a cheap used Seiko, and keep the Seiko in the car for driving? Seikos do have very good lume.
Helpful to hear your experience with the Sinns.

I am scanning about for my idea of the good everyday watch to wear both to work and into the field. I think the night driving case is a useful context for evaluating lume/readability. While new to the WIS frame of reference, I am an old time addict of properly made espresso at home and what's required to produce it. So, I can appreciate that I am in world (here) where it actually makes sense to keep a watch in the car dedicated to night driving. But for me, I have a coupla nice automatic watches in the drawer for dress and am thinking along the lines of the elegance of a single, well-chosen, everyday watch, of which the lume is one significant factor. Love the look of the 656, but it might not be the watch, after all.

The way to be sure would be to buy one from NC and take three days to see for myself.

Again, thanks.

Brad

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Hi Brad,

I consider my 656 (dates from 2002) excellent as far as night lume is concerned - having said that, I personally prefer tritium vials for night reading of the time, but for changing light conditions they may not be the best answer.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I find the 656 is as good as I've seen for C1 lume. It doesn't charge quite as easily or last quite as long as C3, but if it's been exposed to a good blast of sunlight, the visibility is good. The natural contrast and clarity of the dial/hands combination holds good through the twilight hours and the lume should then be good for a couple of hours at least.
I agree with Crusader though about GTLS (tritium tube) being the best for all night steady visibility without being so bright that it affects your night vision.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I definitely agree with Geoff, the lume is quite good for C1 but not as blazing as you would get with a Stowa Airman or Ikarus. Those two might be a reasonable choice for you BTW if the lume is a big issue, plus they have larger cases and are very well made.

·
Registered
184 Posts
bradleyb,

I think I was the one that gave you the concern. I actually do not have an issue with the watch in low light conditions. The contrast of the black and the white make the watch quite easy to read as long as there is some light. My issue was when there is almost no light at all. In that case, when relying totally on the lume, I thought it was a bit dim (I admit I have no idea the difference between C1 and C3). However, a 20 sec shot of light under my bedside table lamp has fixed the issue, the lume is then plenty bright enough until my eyes adjust.

Regards, InvictusAlpha

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, all, for your comments. It's a classic, isn't it? Just ordered mine this morning on strap (is there any other look?) and optimistic that it will work out fine.

Regards,

Brad

·
Registered
3,806 Posts

I liked my 656 so much that I felt compelled to upgrade to its big brother 756... I really like having the chrono version especially with no rotating bezel on the 656 to time things :-!

the lume is not nearly as bright as on my Seiko Monster, but with good exposure to a light source it is more than adequate for my needs...

enjoy your 656... a definite Sinn classic!

cheers,

Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts