WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the lume was supposed to be very bright in these, why am I having trouble with the lume? The lume only gets bright when I shine it directly in the light then turn off the light to see a very bright lume. Meanwhile my small seconds just sits in a lighted room and as soon as you turn off the lights, you can see the lume clearly already, this is not the case for my Tubbataha. Is there something wrong with my lume?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's very difficult to talk about lume because all depends on conditions, how bright was the light (the room) etc. That's my Tubbataha and 30 seconds shutter. As I remember the room was very bright.

IMG_8660-se.jpg

I will take a look tonight.

·
Registered
60,608 Posts
Eric, it seems you have discovered the joys of orange lume. The colour scheme looks ace in daylight but the lume ain't very hot. There's a graph on the web somewhere showing the relative power of the various colours of lume. While orange does't rank as the worst I would hate to be there when the tide comes in.
Like Templar says a lot depends on how you charge the lume as well so charging in the sun is best but that's not always possible so a VERY bright light serves as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most important I think is luminescenceand mirroring on the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 hour; its visible because of the photo and watch laying on a book. There's a mirror from a case so I can absolutely say that lume is beautiful. I'n my oppinion nothing to complain.

By the way. Tubbataha is my everyday watch and i totally love it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have the black aquis date with orange markers, as stated above the orange is great during the day but come night it's certainly not as bright as say the lume on a seiko 007 or tritium.

That being said when waking up in the middle of the night in a dark room you can tell the time no problem.

·
Registered
60,608 Posts
Hi Eric, I learn something new every day and it would appear that it is the UV component of the light source that charges the lume (I didn't know that) and it would seem that one of the poorest sources of UV is the traditional filament bulb.
I said in an earlier post that orange lume was rather poor. Well here's a chart that I stole of the web.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But what about the lume of the dials, I see they are rather poor as well. The condition of the watch is brand new, I am the first owner. I would take some pictures but have not been committed to do so (just had my wisdom teeth taken out), but I will in the future. How do we know if we have a faulty lume, or if there is such thing?

·
Registered
60,608 Posts
I've never heard of faulty lume before. Patches of missing lume - yes but faulty lume no. I think that the best course of action (when you're feeling better of course) is to charge the watch using something like a quartz halogen light or even better a UV light then see what it looks like and post some pics of it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I charge it intentionally/directly in lights, it lumes perfectly. When it sits in a room, it just doesnt lume at all/not as good as my TT1 Small Seconds (blue)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Taken with an iPhone 5, I have never invested money in a camera (not my thing).

Here's the Tubbataha and the TT1 Small Seconds, charged directly under the light. But my concern is without a charge, the lume on TT1 Small Seconds would be somewhat visible whereas without a charge, the Tubbataha would not even lume, I would like to know if this is normal. If it is, I wish the small dial on the Tubbataha would lume more to see the hour hand in the dark...

Right after a charge:

·
Registered
60,608 Posts
Couple of things:
1/ The lume shot is good for a phone camera - my iPhone 4 thinks lume doesn't exist.
2/ You are comparing the best Superluminova C3 lume of the TT1 with one of the worst - the orange of the Tubb. I'm guessing (and it is only a guess) that although Oris may have used BG W9 lume on the sub-dials they toned it down a little so it didn't outshine (no pun intended) the orange.
To put things in context a little. Yesterday I took delivery of a watch that had a mix of orange and BG W9 lume on the dial and whereas the BG W9 glowed like mad the orange barely showed at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couple of things:
1/ The lume shot is good for a phone camera - my iPhone 4 thinks lume doesn't exist.
2/ You are comparing the best Superluminova C3 lume of the TT1 with one of the worst - the orange of the Tubb. I'm guessing (and it is only a guess) that although Oris may have used BG W9 lume on the sub-dials they toned it down a little so it didn't outshine (no pun intended) the orange.
To put things in context a little. Yesterday I took delivery of a watch that had a mix of orange and BG W9 lume on the dial and whereas the BG W9 glowed like mad the orange barely showed at all.
So sticky, would you say there is anything wrong with me BG W9 lume (subdials) or It is perfectly normal?

Btw, the Tubbataha is a great everyday watch.

·
Registered
60,608 Posts
I agree with WW. IMO to look of the orange in daylight more than makes up for its poor nighttime showing. I too think that your Tubb is perfectly normal, it's probably just a case of Oris toning down the BG W9 a bit so it doesn't show the orange up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ah, sorry to hear you're a little disappointed but I am pleased to see I'm not alone! My Regulateur Der Meistertaucher has terrible lume and I've always wondered if there was something wrong with it - guess it is just the orange lume then!

·
Registered
60,608 Posts
Ah, sorry to hear you're a little disappointed but I am pleased to see I'm not alone! My Regulateur Der Meistertaucher has terrible lume and I've always wondered if there was something wrong with it - guess it is just the orange lume then!
You can see from my avatar that I have the DM and the orange has all the glow of a candle in a gale.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We shouldn't say the lume is terrible, it really isn't. I think a better choice of words would be the lume sucks at absorbing light/energy because let me tell you this, the lume is very clear if you give it a direct charge under the lights for a few seconds. With that being said, you are charging it directly...whereas my Small Seconds dont need that type of treatment for the lume to shine in the dark.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We shouldn't say the lume is terrible, it really isn't. I think a better choice of words would be the lume sucks at absorbing light/energy because let me tell you this, the lume is very clear if you give it a direct charge under the lights for a few seconds. With that being said, you are charging it directly...whereas my Small Seconds dont need that type of treatment for the lume to shine in the dark.
Ok, well maybe terrible was a little harsh. It certainly isn't very good though - whilst my 49mm doesn't fit particularly well under shirt cuffs, it just about manages it, which means it rarely gets the complete UV light source. Works well under UV lights in a nightclub though...not that I'd wear it to one, of course...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts