WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since most of the lume-natics are probably in this forum I figured this is a good place to post my question.

After going back inside after having lunch in the sun I noticed that the lume on my Marinemaster is not glowing evenly, i.e. the right half glows more. A second later I figured that this is because half the watch was covered by the sleeve of my shirt.

Now for the question: If you have an all-lume dial or a sandwich dial, does the energy that the luminescent accumulate get distributed across the dial? For instance, if you take a Panerai with a sandwich dial and only put half of the dial in sunlight ... do all the numerals glow later on? :-s

:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
No it doesn't get distributed across a single piece of luminous material. But regardless of that, I don't think Panerai dial has full lume layer behind the dial, that would be lot of wasted lume. :-d

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
No. Only the luminous material directly illuminated will glow.

HTH

·
Premium Member
11,957 Posts
No it doesn't get distributed across a single piece of luminous material. But regardless of that, I don't think Panerai dial has full lume layer behind the dial, that would be lot of wasted lume. :-d
Amen to that! With the prices currently being charged for SLN, no watch company is going to put lume where the sun don't shine. ;-)

Reactions: Kent108

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Amen to that! With the prices currently being charged for SLN, no watch company is going to put lume where the sun don't shine. ;-)
And that's funny because last night on the vaunted ShopNBC, they were comparing the prices for Superluminova to Gold. ?!?!?
I wasn't aware that it costs so much.

·
Registered
283 Posts
RXW seems to think about this differently and in comparisons RXW Plasmir Dials do glow brighter and longer than Panerai. Even from my own experiences.

"The “PLASMIR DIAL” is triple construction consisting of a TOP dial in an index shape with an open hold inserted over the first soft iron made base dial worldwide entirely coated with SUPER LUMINOVA. 1 year previous, when a certain Italian brand was released at Basel, this model had already been released as a product, making it the first actual example of its kind in the world.

The coating method of SUPER LUMINOVA for that brand is merely a dummy printed in a shape smaller and thicker than the index hole. Thus, the light storage quantity does not differ from a normal print type index, and it contains a small light storage quantity not comparable to watches entirely coated with “PLASMIR” "

I love Panerai and the RXW homages...

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
No, and on full lume dials, you get a "shadow" cast by the hands on the lumed surface when you take away from the illumination.

·
Registered
283 Posts
No, and on full lume dials, you get a "shadow" cast by the hands on the lumed surface when you take away from the illumination.
I have notice this with when my hands are over the numerals in artificial light but this does not happen in sun light even on over cast days. I dont think the whole disk gets charged but this is the brightest lume watch I have ever owned and by quite alot. Including my Oris TT1 1000m diver that carried that title until my RXW Plasmir Milgraph came along. I've had the chance to compare it to sandwich dial Paneria too.

This thing is a torch!

·
Registered
48 Posts
How long do you guys find the lume stays really bright after sun or flashlight exposure? Sometimes I'll hold a flashlight over the dial for a minute or so before bed to see if it is still glowing in the morning. It still glows a bit, but nothing like the first half hour or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts